Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2014, 08:59 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsquid View Post
With every thing I have read about those flexible valve stem extensions I bought metal valve stems to eliminate a potential problem on the road (being able to add TPMS is an added benefit). Additionally I removed the chrome hubcaps due to the ubiquitous right rear fly away issue. Other than wheel bling they don't seem to have any other function. We are leaving for a short trip to test out everything, including the new Hellwig swaybar before we head across to the east coast.
Its the snugness of the wheel cover fitment, NOT the right rear phenomenon gremlins at work here.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:00 AM   #22
Needs Help

I am thinking about removing my wheel covers for a long trip. One less thing to worry about. I may use cable ties though. Can't decide. With my TPMS and new valve stems I need to cut part of the chrome away on the front might be easier to just remove them.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living_The_Dream View Post
I am thinking about removing my wheel covers for a long trip. One less thing to worry about. I may use cable ties though. Can't decide. With my TPMS and new valve stems I need to cut part of the chrome away on the front might be easier to just remove them.
Sometimes information in here should be utilized for general knowledge. By that I mean, just because a handful of Solera owners lost a hubcap, doesn't mean the hubcaps are faulty in the general sense. The cause could be several reasons. Lose fitting from the initial installation. Fix is to check for snugness, using all four removal pressures as a benchmark to adjust any loose fitting caps. There are tabs on the back side that allow them to snap in place properly.

Try doing a general walk around at refueling, sorta like a pilot does before taking off. Feel the outer lip for any lifting from the steel rim. I generally do that as a check off before continuing on. Just a suggestion.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Sometimes information in here should be utilized for general knowledge. By that I mean, just because a handful of Solera owners lost a hubcap, doesn't mean the hubcaps are faulty in the general sense. The cause could be several reasons. Lose fitting from the initial installation. Fix is to check for snugness, using all four removal pressures as a benchmark to adjust any loose fitting caps. There are tabs on the back side that allow them to snap in place properly.

Try doing a general walk around at refueling, sorta like a pilot does before taking off. Feel the outer lip for any lifting from the steel rim. I generally do that as a check off before continuing on. Just a suggestion.
Post-flight walk around doesn't help if the wing has already fallen off. From my helicopter crew days I do the walk around every time we stop...it helped me see the flat tire but didn't help with the blown axle seal until we had been sitting long enough for gear oil to pool around the flat (approx. 1 hour while we had lunch). My front hub caps would have needed a trim since they were in contact with my new metal valve stems. The back ones weren't in contact but it did look like if one of them did happen to fly off in flight that it might knock off my TPMS sensor. I'm not much on wheel bling so I just took all of the hub caps off. There has been enough members reporting that they have lost a hub cap or two for whatever reason for me to sit up and take notice... a potential problem just for wheel bling, not worth it ... for me.
devilsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:21 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsquid View Post
Post-flight walk around doesn't help if the wing has already fallen off. From my helicopter crew days I do the walk around every time we stop...it helped me see the flat tire but didn't help with the blown axle seal until we had been sitting long enough for gear oil to pool around the flat (approx. 1 hour while we had lunch). My front hub caps would have needed a trim since they were in contact with my new metal valve stems. The back ones weren't in contact but it did look like if one of them did happen to fly off in flight that it might knock off my TPMS sensor. I'm not much on wheel bling so I just took all of the hub caps off. There has been enough members reporting that they have lost a hub cap or two for whatever reason for me to sit up and take notice... a potential problem just for wheel bling, not worth it ... for me.
That comment was meant to help Living the Dream.So, just take it for what its worth, thats all. Have a nice day.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:43 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
That comment was meant to help Living the Dream.So, just take it for what its worth, thats all. Have a nice day.
Me too, my comments were to give the other side of the coin. I think it is smart for everyone to take a look at their rig whenever they stop as you suggest. My hub caps are so tight that it's hard to get them off if you don't have a hub cap removal tool (which I do now). I just didn't like the fact that the front ones were in contact with the metal valve stems and the rear ones had the potential to fly off in fight doing all manner of bad things. This is what I like about this forum, we all get to throw in our opinions whether or not everyone agrees with it. Have a great day
devilsquid is offline   Reply With Quote