Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2014, 11:19 AM   #1

Valve stem extenders

OK hope this is not a silly question but attempted to check tire pressure on rear tire of my new 2014 24R. Has valve stem extenders and believe they must be airless. Tire gauge does not work. Do I need to have my compressor hooke up and adding air to get a reading? Have never had this type of extension and wonder how good they are and how they work.

Thank You
Badbob
BadBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:14 PM   #2

had the same problem on my 2014 24r called fr they told me to saw off 1/8 to 1/4 off extension. followed there instructions. mine now work fine.
billwill67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:40 PM   #3

Did you just use a hacksaw? Think I will try another chuck and see if that works.
Thank You
Old 06-26-2014, 01:00 PM   #4

I just used a very sharp knife..those break off hobby knives..
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:02 PM   #5

one piece metal tire valve stems"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgso
Got them here (here's a link) - Your Tire Shop Supply | Supplies for Tire Shops
You might want to go ahead and give them a call. Speak to Bill Falkenborg
Phone is 800-300-2674
Bill has apparently sold Metal stem sets for several Sprinter Motorhomes. He knew exactly what I was talking about when I called. I got this referral from another post on the forum.

Just a Quick Note, I had Stainless Steel "Extenders" installed on my tires for my first trip in my 2013 Solera 24S to hopefully alleviate any tire problems two months ago. Anyway, I had nothing but problems with the “Airless Extenders” from Orlando-Tucson-Albuquerque-Dallas-Canyon Lake-Orlando. The main problem was the extenders were vibrating off the rubber tire stems in the wheel well and leaking pressure. I ended up loosing an inner tire enroute. They were not one piece tied into the 16" steel tire wheel well. Now they are and I would highly recommend them. You can also install a tire pressure monitor with these at a later date if it meets your needs. Just some "Food for Thought." Good Luck and Happy Travels.

CaptDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:52 PM   #6

yes I used a hacksaw.
billwill67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:00 PM   #7

Thanks for the response from everyone. I dug out another chuck I had and it works fine. Able to add air and get a good reading. Will look into TPM system later and change stems at that time.
Thank You
BadBob
Old 06-26-2014, 07:34 PM   #8

I had new valve stems put on my 2013 S back in April. At the time I asked the tire guy about extenders to which he replied I don't like extenders they are nothing but trouble, Haven't seen one yet that doesn't leak sooner or later. WELL I had them put the old extenders back on that were with the Solera when I got it. The day before I left on our vacation I checked the tire pressure and found one tire flat. I aired it up and checked but could not find a leak. because they had valve caps on I decided to leave the cap off of that tire to see what would happen, NO MORE leak. At lease not from that tire, about a week later I was getting ready to leave a CG and I noticed that a different tire was flat. again this one had a cap on the extender. Aired it up removed the cap and the other caps from all the coach tires and so far have not had a problem. The caps were apparently on tight enough to cause a slow leak by pass the valve down. Moral of the story keep a close eye on your tires.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:25 PM   #9

Just finished trying to check the tire preeure and add air if needed. 4 of the six worked just great but tw would not accept the chuck and could not get air into the tire or even check the pressure. May call Les Schwab and see what they suggest, have had good luck with them in the past. May also see about TPM system. I like to keep an eye on tires.
BadBob
Old 06-26-2014, 08:53 PM   #10

Not sure what make these extenders are but they are flexible and not secured to the wheels or liners in any way. Seems as if they will take a beating going down the road. What have others found to be a good reliable extender?

Thank You
BadBob
Old 06-26-2014, 11:07 PM   #11
2012 Solera

Several threads on this subject. One recent one: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...res-61794.html
As stated in that thread, I cut down the threaded part of the Airflex extensions so they work (as noted above), then used wire ties to tie the wheel covers to the wheels and the Airflex extensions to the wheel covers (so the extensions don't whip around). Since then 35K miles with no problems.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:18 AM   #12

Can someone simply post a direct link to any Sprinter metal valve stems that they know of or have installed? I'd like to order a set. Thanks!

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:44 AM   #13

The extenders are not reallly the problem. IThe problem is the rubber valve stems. The tapper of the stems prevents the extenders from seating fully.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:17 AM   #14

Which end did you cut off? End that screws to the valve Stem, worry I may damage the threads.
Thank You
BadBob
Old 06-27-2014, 09:47 AM   #15

Valve Stern end. The sqirt part does not have threads. Yes you must be carefull. I cut mine on a band saw.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:49 AM   #16
2012 Solera

I cut off the valve cap end, believe Mikegjax cut off the end that screws onto the tire valve. Apparently either will work.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:03 AM   #17

x2 and used cable tie to hold extender in place...and do not forget the valve caps, otherwise you lose the inner rod!
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:34 AM   #18
Needs Help

I got a set of new valve stems from the Tireman. Not cheap by the time you add mounting and balancing all 6 wheels. Put my TST pressure sensors on and they are solid.

I was able to get my extensions working by using a razor knife to cut off 3 threads.

Now I am looking for some cable ties to make sure my wheel covers stay on.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBob View Post
Which end did you cut off? End that screws to the valve Stem, worry I may damage the threads.
Thank You
BadBob
Make it easier on yourself. Read other posts like mentioned in # 11 that Jleising mentioned. This has been discussed extensively in here before.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:53 AM   #20

With every thing I have read about those flexible valve stem extensions I bought metal valve stems to eliminate a potential problem on the road (being able to add TPMS is an added benefit). Additionally I removed the chrome hubcaps due to the ubiquitous right rear fly away issue. Other than wheel bling they don't seem to have any other function. We are leaving for a short trip to test out everything, including the new Hellwig swaybar before we head across to the east coast.
devilsquid is offline   Reply With Quote