Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2015, 06:14 PM   #1

Vinyl Strip came off

Recently, while driving I looked out my passenger window and noticed the vinyl trip along the edging was quickly coming off. I had to pull over and cut is away (see picture).

When I got home I inspected the driver side and see that it is also separating in the corner.

I sent an email to Solera Warranty Manager Mike Jankowski who promptly got back to me with this message: "The plastic screw cover needs to be replaced and the paint work will take some time to do unless you are willing to have them install black plastic. The black would match the rest of the black objects on your coach."

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you resolve? If you installed the black plastic, are you happy with it?

Thanks (love this forum)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-07-03 11.22.29.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	82215  
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:59 PM   #2

Can you reinstall the original strip, or is it too damaged. To answer your question, that problem has been an issue a few different times, based on posters to this forum.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:03 PM   #3

Happened to ours when new
Dealer re installed and no problems since.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:09 PM   #4

Mine came out on the road and I removed the screws at both ends.waiting until I get home to get my dealer to fix it. Good thing I got the full paint job(jk)

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Rogerbruchay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:32 PM   #5

Unfortunately mine is pretty much destroyed. Sandiegodoug, how did they reinstall? I still have to deal with the driver side coming off.
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:00 PM   #6

Mine came off at the curve.
I didn't rip it off, it like shrank
I tried to put it in myself , but kept popping out. Dealer reinstalled and matched paint scheme. About a couple of feet out of track but stretched tight, shrank. Maybe dealer glued it into track as I've had no more problems, it's been 3 years

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:39 AM   #7

You can buy that vinyl stripping many places online or at CW. Very easy to replace. I keep a long roll and replace areas that have become brittle and/or discolored.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:46 AM   #8

We had ours start to pull out at the curve last fall. I used a hair dryer to warm the curve portion and pop it back inside the track. Then I warmed the rest (full strip) and stretched carefully with my palm while it was in the track. It's been fine ever since.
DocsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:33 PM   #9
Retired

Ours came out at the curve while out west, we pulled over and pushed it back in as much as I could and watched it the rest of the trip. Luckily even though we have the full body paint that piece is one solid color. While we were at the rally in Goshen they put a screw through the vinyl at the curve section and it has never came out again. Fingers crossed through.
tennlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:14 AM   #10

We went the black option and are happy with it!
2015 solera 24S
pcbikenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:32 PM   #11

Mine came out on the drivers side at 65MPH. Looked in the mirror and saw it wiping in the breeze.. pulled over and removed it. Got home and reinstalled the strip then I used clear silicone on the edge on both sides. Wiped down to produce a small bead in the notch. Spaced the silicone along the seam about a foot apart, Did both sides and haven't had a problem since.
Tinbender1947 is offline   Reply With Quote