Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2013, 12:55 AM   #1

Voltage question

I was camping at a rv park near Yosemite last weekend and I plugged a volt meter into an outlet to ck voltage and during the day when the whole park was running ac it read 105 but at night it read 120. Does this hurt the ac? I have the upgrade 15500 unit. No other ac appliance was in use and it was down right hot, and after a morning of hiking and biking I just wanted to enjoy some ac
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:11 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandiegodoug View Post
I was camping at a rv park near Yosemite last weekend and I plugged a volt meter into an outlet to ck voltage and during the day when the whole park was running ac it read 105 but at night it read 120. Does this hurt the ac? I have the upgrade 15500 unit. No other ac appliance was in use and it was down right hot, and after a morning of hiking and biking I just wanted to enjoy some ac
That's a great question. I have always heard the voltage rule of thumb was +/- 10% of 120 volts........which is 12 volts higher or lower. This would equal 132 and 108 volts.

However, I decided to look at the surge guard/voltage regulators websites to see at what voltages their products would shut off the electricity at and theirs is actually lower than 108 volts.

Progressive Industries:

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/manuals/PT30C.pdf

High/Low Voltage Protection

Whenever AC power falls below 104 volts, or rises above 132 volts, the EMS automatically shuts down power to the RV. The EMS will monitor the power and once the AC power rises above 104 volts, or drops below the 132 volt level, the time delay indicator flashes for the preset time and then automatically restores power to the RV.

TRC:

Surge Guard® FAQ | Technology Research Corporation

Over voltage and under voltage protection removes primary power from the load (i.e. RV Coach) when the voltage drops below 102V or above 132V (safe mode). This predetermined value is selected as the point beyond which electrical and electronic equipment is likely to be damaged if operated for an extended length of time. The user of any protective device is urged to be aware that protective devices are not necessarily effective for all circumstances. Bypassing for this condition can result in damage of electrical equipment on the coach.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also checked the website for Franks Auto Transformer that will boost incoming voltage if low voltage is present. This is the one that Lou uses if I recall correctly.

http://www.voltagebooster.com/

According to their technical link, if voltage drops to 108 volts than their product enters into a high boost mode. When the product can no longer provide a boost of 106 volts or better then it shuts down the incoming electricity to the RV.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So, with 3 different products, you have 3 different low voltage thresholds. One thinks 102 volts is the number, one is 104, and another is 106.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

I do use the Franks Electronics Autotransformer and in fact it is boosting as I type with the AC on. Incoming voltage 111 and outgoing to the AC is 117 volts.
See my review in the forum product review section.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote