Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2015, 04:01 PM   #1

Water fill in a primitive situation?

Quoted from a post on the Winnie list:

<<You can fill your water tank by using the antifreeze siphon hose. I think you set one valve to "tank fill" and the other one to "winterize", put the hose in a jug of water and turn on the pump.>>

Can this be done on the Solera?

gfior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:03 PM   #2

No.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:16 PM   #3

Just hook a hose to the fresh water tank fill then put a funnel on the hose a fill it. Might be easier with 2 people so someone can hold the hose and funnel while you pour the water in.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfior View Post

<<You can fill your water tank by using the antifreeze siphon hose. I think you set one valve to "tank fill" and the other one to "winterize", put the hose in a jug of water and turn on the pump.>>

Not sure on the solera, but I've done this on my Sabre fiver many times. Anti freeze pickup hose stuck in portable water tank (I use collapsible 5 gallon containers), outside shower head removed, and hose stuck into fw fill port (if you have a hose hookup for the full port, you'll need to affair the end of this hose to garden hose threads), and then, with pump in, turn winterizing valve to winterize, and turn on outside shower cold water.

Seems complicated until you've done it.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:35 PM   #5
2012 Solera 24S

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfior View Post

Read this thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ion-59388.html
Nats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:04 PM   #6

i went out and just purchase a 12 volt transfer pump i hook it to my 40 gallon extra water tank and run the hose to the tank fill. the pump runs 3 gallons a minute. and it only cost me 40 dollars. can be found at any farm fleet store.
so when I am low on water I put the extra tank in back of truck drive to the nearest water fill and fill my tank up and drive back to camper and hood by transfer pump up and were done.

2014 cedar creek 36ckts
2014 Chevy 3500 1 ton crew cab 4x4 long bed.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
cfiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:02 AM   #7

Haven't tried it but the way it pulled in the antifreeze I'm satisfied it will work.

You might have to prime it if the pump is totally dry.
Flydrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:22 AM   #8
Racin

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfiowa View Post
i went out and just purchase a 12 volt transfer pump i hook it to my 40 gallon extra water tank and run the hose to the tank fill. the pump runs 3 gallons a minute. and it only cost me 40 dollars. can be found at any farm fleet store.
so when I am low on water I put the extra tank in back of truck drive to the nearest water fill and fill my tank up and drive back to camper and hood by transfer pump up and were done.

2014 cedar creek 36ckts
2014 Chevy 3500 1 ton crew cab 4x4 long bed.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
x2
Old 07-21-2015, 01:40 PM   #9

Don't think so. The winterizing valve is in the outlet side of the tank. When you use it anti-freeze is drawn in with the pump and sent out to the rv. If you use another container and use the winterizing hose, fluid would be taken from the container to the rv water system and not the tank. IMO.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:47 PM   #10
2012 Solera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
Don't think so. The winterizing valve is in the outlet side of the tank. When you use it anti-freeze is drawn in with the pump and sent out to the rv. If you use another container and use the winterizing hose, fluid would be taken from the container to the rv water system and not the tank. IMO.
Hence the trick noted above of taking the outside shower hose and running it over to the gravity fresh water fill point. As you state, water is pumped into the RV water system, out the shower hose, and into the fresh water tank. While I haven't done it, sounds like a neat trick!
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:18 PM   #11

That should work.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
Hence the trick noted above of taking the outside shower hose and running it over to the gravity fresh water fill point. As you state, water is pumped into the RV water system, out the shower hose, and into the fresh water tank. While I haven't done it, sounds like a neat trick!

That's the kind of ingenuity that got Apollo 13 home!

2015 Solera 24R

The Peterson Family
Southeast Louisiana
2015 Solera 24R

Living our dreams one day at a time!
Ecopco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
I don't have an outside shower in my 2011 Georgetown 327DS but have done the same thing using my water hose and a faucet to hose adapter. The water pump pulls in water from a jug, through the winterizing hose; pressurized water flows out the bathroom sink, through the water hose, and finally into the fresh water fill port for the water tank.

When I dewinterize, I always make sure to also flush the antifreeze input area in case I need to use this technique to fill the water tank.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:51 PM   #14

Quick Connect Spray?

No outdoor shower on my '13 24R, but there is a sprayer and quick connect. If I had a male QC adapter to fresh water hose I could run the hose around to the tank fill and do it that way.

There seem to be more than one type of hose QC. Does anyone know what type of QC connector I need that would be compatible with the stock connector on my '13 Solera 24R?
Old 07-23-2015, 07:24 PM   #15

Do you have the coiled hose?
Old 07-24-2015, 03:08 PM   #16

Sprayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
Do you have the coiled hose?
Yes, but I want to attach a longer potable water hose to reach across to the tank fill, so wanting to buy a compatible QC male adapter.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:00 PM   #17

If you take the nozzle of a regular hose will fit.

Tags
water