Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2014, 10:26 AM   #1

Water Filter

Sorry if this has been posted already but I didn't see a specific answer. I want to replace the water filter under the Bed in my 2013 Solera 24S. When I winterized it, I pulled the filter out but the brand/specs are not listed on there. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks...
Lcblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:10 AM   #2

Go to The Water Pur Company wed site. You should be able to identify which one you need.http://waterpur.com/html/waterpur_filters.html
cat1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:20 AM   #3

I've never used the supplied onboard filter. I prefer to use the inline filter that can be connected to the outside water inlet. That gives me a better indication of the condition of the filter itself, requires no special tool, and doesn't require doing all sort of contortions to check/change the onboard filter. Also filters water before going into the fresh water tank, removing any spores etc., that may be in the campground water, and can grow inside the FW tank.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:46 AM   #4

Got ours at Lowes just took the old one with me and compared them. For the most part they are all the same size and it just depends on what you want it to do. At the beginning of the season I flush everything out, before putting the filter in. I then put some clorox and water in the water tank and flush all the lines again. Most campgrounds have chlorinated water and if they don't they have to be checked to make sure that the water supply isn't contaminated. More than likely if you get something in your water supply it will be from your hose. Make sure and drain them good doesn't hurt to put a little clorox through the hose and work it through till you smell it coming out the other end.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #5

Ed

What inline filter are you using? That sound like a good idea over getting into the filter canister under the bed.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
Ed

What inline filter are you using? That sound like a good idea over getting into the filter canister under the bed.
Henry: Darned if I can tell you right now. I threw away the boxes! Best I recall, I bought a couple of them online on sale and I can't remember where! Here's one available on Amazon.com that looks identical.
Culligan RV-800 Level 1 Recreational Vehicle Water Filter - Amazon.com
Old 02-24-2014, 07:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
Got ours at Lowes just took the old one with me and compared them. For the most part they are all the same size and it just depends on what you want it to do. At the beginning of the season I flush everything out, before putting the filter in. I then put some clorox and water in the water tank and flush all the lines again. Most campgrounds have chlorinated water and if they don't they have to be checked to make sure that the water supply isn't contaminated. More than likely if you get something in your water supply it will be from your hose. Make sure and drain them good doesn't hurt to put a little clorox through the hose and work it through till you smell it coming out the other end.
Mark is right. If you use the inline filter I mentioned, be sure and connect it between the hose and your coach. (Hoses have been known to get cruddy!) I fashioned a short (1' long) hose to make the connection between filter and coach).
Old 02-24-2014, 08:10 PM   #8

Ok guys, thanks for the info.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:44 PM   #9

One of the first things I did on our 2014 24R was remove the filter. It is prone to breaking and flooding the MH if you forget to dump it and the weather turns cold. I replaced it with a 6" 1/2" brass pipe nipple. I filter the water at the inlet if necessary.

Mike
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:48 PM   #10

Mike

Would it be possible to get a picture of you mod?
Old 02-24-2014, 08:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcblick View Post
Sorry if this has been posted already but I didn't see a specific answer. I want to replace the water filter under the Bed in my 2013 Solera 24S. When I winterized it, I pulled the filter out but the brand/specs are not listed on there. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks...
The filter cartridge is a 10" but unlike most foam or paper media, these are very fine carbon molded cylinders. Rated for 5 micron particulate plus chemical removal they are a first class unit. Necessary for RV? you decide, but about $40.00 delivered, they aren't cheap.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:03 PM   #12

A six inch pipe nipple (brass or quality plastic) with standard 1/2" pipe thread will simply replace the entire filter assembly. All you need to do is unthread the brass pipe adapters that connect to the filter assembly and substitute the pipe nipple. The use of Teflon tape or an appropriate pipe dope is best. Nothing to it.

Mike
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:35 AM   #13

Water Filter mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
One of the first things I did on our 2014 24R was remove the filter. It is prone to breaking and flooding the MH if you forget to dump it and the weather turns cold. I replaced it with a 6" 1/2" brass pipe nipple. I filter the water at the inlet if necessary.

Mike
Yes, a picture would be great. I can see from my 24R that the space is very cramped. That must have been a challenge to do.
richhop25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water filter