Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 48
Water Heater Story and Question

The wife and I were on our way home from a two week trip too Montana when we pulled into a RV park for the night at about 10pm in Sioux Falls SD. Hooked up water, power and waste went inside ran hot and cold water to clear air from lines, turned on A/C let bed down and climbed in. Went right to sleep but was awaken to the smell of something burning, jumped up and turned off the A/C thinking it was shot. Started looking and sniffing around to try and find what was burning, and discovered that it was coming from the Water Heater on the inside under the sink but not on the outside of camper so I killed the power too it turned the A/C back on made sure nothing was still burning and went back to bed. The burning smell was not really electrical; it smelled more like hot brakes. Today after getting home I go out to see if I can find what happened, everything looked ok couldn’t see any burn spots or anything. So I turn the power on and let it heat up I could get a faint smell to come from around the w/h but nothing like the other night, no smoke and no hot wires, the little control box that is tied to the w/h didn’t get hot or smell, that’s what I was thinking got hot. Now I have a feeling that I had a Hi-temp switch to stick and caused the tank to get hot enough to maybe start to melt the Styrofoam shield can’t and want be able to see the Styrofoam next to the tank until I pull the w/h unit. Has anyone had a w/h unit to do anything like this? Like to run things like this by all of you before I just tear in to it, there is a wealth of knowledge and experience here that I can’t thank you enough for.
__________________

__________________
pinkstonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Ford Idaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 9,840
Did you open the pressure relief and vent the air from the tank before you went to bed?

The tank may not have been full if you did not.
__________________

__________________
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Did you open the pressure relief and vent the air from the tank before you went to bed?

The tank may not have been full if you did not.
Would not runing the hot water at the kitchen sink do the same thing?
__________________
pinkstonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:12 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Loefflerh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Naples Fl
Posts: 347
Even when the hot water boiler is not filled it should not smell....
How do I know? came home fom a trip -boiler still on. Removed the Anode and let water drain out....2 weeks later connected power to the rv to charge battery forgetting that the heater is still on.
Strange thing is heater is still working. I think it is taking longer to heat up so the heater element most probably has some damage and I have to replace it.
Hans
__________________
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:32 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Ford Idaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 9,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkstonj View Post
Would not runing the hot water at the kitchen sink do the same thing?
There would still be air in the top of the tank this will allow the heater to boil and that may be the cause of the smell.

Your house water heater the hot water comes out the top so opening a tap is fine, the water from the water heater in you trailer comes out just below the top.

__________________
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:36 AM   #6
Site Team
 
KyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 6,715
The water heater probably plugs into an outlet on the rear of the tank area.
I'd check that outlet and wires going to the back of that outlet and the power cord that's plugged into
that outlet and the other end of the power cord where it hooks to the
WH.
Hot brakes and hot wires smell a lot alike.
My -guess- is poor connection somewhere in the system near the
water heater did it.
Keep looking!
__________________
Peace!
Dan & Rita D
2004 5.3L Silverado 1500 ext. cab 2WD
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:13 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,157
Look inside the outlet box the water heater plugs (or is wired) into.
My guess is the AC wires might be melted due to a poor (loose) connection that overheated.

This is a dangerous situation if it is the cause of your odor and needs to be investigated BEFORE you re-apply power.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ALOvht04JS.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	54752  
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:04 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 48
Thanks for the replies. Guess Iím on the right track with something in the wiring somewhere, it will be a few days before I can really look at it. Will post what I find.
__________________
pinkstonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:11 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 48
Well I found no burnt wires, but I did find that the Hi limit thermostat had burnt causing the circuit to be stuck closed causing the W/H to overheat. Have to get a new thermostat replacement part # 232306. Online piece is anywhere from $11.31 up to over $33, Iím going to check with my local RV supply store, if they are close will get from them (need to help the local folks).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7409.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	55619  
__________________

__________________
pinkstonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
heater, water, water heater

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 AM.