Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #1

Weight

Just took our Solera to be weighed at a CAT scale. It is fully loaded right now for our Key West trip. Full gas tank, full fresh water, dog pens, food, tables, chairs, etc. (you get the idea) Anyway it weighed 10,800 lbs. Then you add in people 350 lbs + dogs 50 lbs = 11,200 lbs. A bit over what we should be.

Not going to make any changes, though ---- don't want to leave the husband or dogs at home!

We really could have done without some of of the fresh water, but we will be without hookups two nights, so want to be on the safe side.
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Not going to make any changes, though ---- don't want to leave the husbands or dog at home!
HusbandS really?

No, that's not what you really said, but that's what I read the first time. Too funny.

Any chance you could fill that FW tank closer to your camping spot?
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #3

Yeah, good suggestion. You shouldn't need a FULL fresh water tank between where you are and the Keys. Just add 5-10 gals of water to flush the potty enroute. If you run dry, hit a truck stop and add another 'coupla gallons. Carry a case of bottled stuff for drinking enroute. Enjoy the trip!
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #4

Hmmm. I haven't taken my rig to CAT scales yet - planned on doing it but haven't gotten around to it yet. Debbie, you have the S, we have the M version, which has a whole lot less basement storage. Sounds like you loaded a lot of stuff we won't even have room for, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed we'll have enough margin for full FW, Propane, Diesel tank, etc. - we like to dry camp in national and state parks. We tow a 2800# toad, and can load some stuff in it and still be under GCVW (I think!!!!)
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
Yeah, good suggestion. You shouldn't need a FULL fresh water tank between where you are and the Keys. Just add 5-10 gals of water to flush the potty enroute. If you run dry, hit a truck stop and add another 'coupla gallons. Carry a case of bottled stuff for drinking enroute. Enjoy the trip!
Hmmm.. Does bottled water weigh less than fresh water tank water... LOL....

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgso View Post
Hmmm. I haven't taken my rig to CAT scales yet - planned on doing it but haven't gotten around to it yet. Debbie, you have the S, we have the M version, which has a whole lot less basement storage. Sounds like you loaded a lot of stuff we won't even have room for, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed we'll have enough margin for full FW, Propane, Diesel tank, etc. - we like to dry camp in national and state parks. We tow a 2800# toad, and can load some stuff in it and still be under GCVW (I think!!!!)
I'm sure you will be fine. Even though we are a tad over weight, the 10 hours on the road yesterday, she handled fine. Have about another 7-8 to go today, then we can relax and officially be on vacation! I really wanted to get the weight so I could finally decide on a toad.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:08 PM   #7

Headed out this Wednesday from Oklahoma City to Key West. Also Bluewater Key.
Staying a few days in Baton Rouge so won't get to the Keys until Memorial Day weekend. We will be staying at State Parks along the way so won't have the water issue although may still be close or over weight. So if you spot a Solera with Okie tags and a UNO sticker in the window it may be us.
gb73071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post

I'm sure you will be fine. Even though we are a tad over weight, the 10 hours on the road yesterday, she handled fine. Have about another 7-8 to go today, then we can relax and officially be on vacation! I really wanted to get the weight so I could finally decide on a toad.
In my opinion, it's the emergency situations where you're going to find out whether you'll be fine or not. I'm going to guess that you didn't have one of those in your 10 hours, and hopefully not for many many more hours. As the commercial says, mayhem is everywhere.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb73071 View Post
Staying a few days in Baton Rouge so won't get to the Keys until Memorial Day weekend. We will be staying at State Parks along the way so won't have the water issue although may still be close or over weight. So if you spot a Solera with Okie tags and a UNO sticker in the window it may be us.
Look up DebbieMH - I think she'll be in Key West same time you're there. Anyway, I envy you both. Have fun and let us know how the trip went and how the Solera performed!!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb73071 View Post
Great! We are down in Key Largo right now, staying at Point of View RV Resort. Very beautiful views, and we are right on the water. Unfortunately we will be back in new Orleans by Memorial Day, so we will miss you. Our Solera did extremely well on the way down. It really is a long trip though. Heading to Blue Water on Wednesday. Happy trails! Here is our view right now:-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3314999791.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	30355
Old 05-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #11

Have fun in Key West, wish we were following you! (We're from OKC also). Keep us posted on your trip!
mckirby50 is offline   Reply With Quote