Old 07-14-2015, 08:27 PM   #1

What are the stabilizers supposed to do?

So I go to all the trouble of making sure our 24W is level before doing anything. I put down the "Stabilizers" and make sure it is still level. Then when I extend the slide out, the whole motor home leans to the left! So what good are stabilizers? Shouldn't there be a leveling system instead? That would be nice since the propane refrigerator has to be level. Could the stabilizers be defective? Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 07-14-2015, 08:37 PM   #2
Georgia Frog Rally 2017

How large is the slide out? Are you sure they are resting firm on the ground? When I had two slides I had to raise the left side of the trailer then put the stabilizer jacks down then the slides. If my camper was level when I parked still ha to raise the left side. Always came out level doing this. Later RJD

2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2015--46
Days booked for 2016--60 missed by 2
Days camped in 2016 58
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:38 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Some times with the weight of the slide you have to put that side high so when the slide does come out its level.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "11 nights"
Old 07-14-2015, 08:40 PM   #4

It sounds as if the stabilizers may not be working correctly. They're not intended to level the coach, merely to keep it from rocking from side to side. I think a true leveling system would involve more money, more weight, and, perhaps, less ground clearance.

Anyway, my stabilizers seem to do a pretty good (not perfect) job of keeping motion to a minimum. Perhaps yours need to be adjusted? One thing you could do yourself is to follow the bigfoot instructions for bleeding the air out of the system. The bigfoot manual includes a troubleshooting section, which includes the following suggestions (among others):
  • There may be air in the system… Fully extend both jacks leave for 30 minutes... Lower jacks.
  • Low fluid level (Must be 3/4” below top of reservoir)
  • To purge system, add necessary fluid and run up & down a few times.
You might try these (or some of the other troubleshooting ideas). If they don't work, you'll probably need to contact their customer support at (269) 483-9634 or service@quadraleveler.com

Dave
Old 07-14-2015, 09:23 PM   #5
GM

"Stabilizers" do just that. Stabilize the unit from rocking. Levelers require 3 or 4 points...neither of which will Mercedes allow the mfg to do. Upfitters are not allowed to weld onto the Mercedes frame...only bolt. In the back there is an area where we can bolt to...in the front, not so much. I think Big Foot has a way to make it happen, but it requires welding and again, Mercedes forbids that.

I know that some people have put a 4 point leveling system on...but it was their liability not ours.

How much is your motorhome actually leaning? It doesn't need to be dead perfect for the fridge.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:35 PM   #6

Actually Big Foot does make a jack system for the front of the Solera I put one on a couple of months ago they are bolted on not welded. They help stabilize the coach a lot more than with just the rear stabilizer alone. Like Brian says too not a lot of room in front for the system but they will go in.
hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
How large is the slide out? Are you sure they are resting firm on the ground? When I had two slides I had to raise the left side of the trailer then put the stabilizer jacks down then the slides. If my camper was level when I parked still ha to raise the left side. Always came out level doing this. Later RJD
This is the Team I am On! Big slides or multiple on one side will cause Lean! I ramp (Every Time) we Set up! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2474.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	396.4 KB
ID:	82927   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4546.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	441.5 KB
ID:	82928  
Old 07-14-2015, 10:43 PM   #8

We haven't received our W yet but have read about the stabi-lite stabilizers that are used on the W model. It is my understanding that you can adjust the down pressure separately for each leg so adjusting the slide side for more pressure should keep it level??
Old 07-14-2015, 11:05 PM   #9

http://equalizersystems.com/files/sh...ion_Manual.pdf
Old 07-15-2015, 12:06 AM   #10

[QUOTE=Rogerbruchay;923397]So I go to all the trouble of making sure our 24W is level before doing anything. I put down the "Stabilizers" and make sure it is still level. Then when I extend the slide out, the whole motor home leans to the left! So what good are stabilizers? Shouldn't there be a leveling system instead? That would be nice since the propane refrigerator has to be level. Could the stabilizers be defective? Any ideas?

For those on here that do not have Soleras, what Rogerbruchay is speaking of is the new Solera 24W that has a very large single slide on the most of the drivers side of the rig. This slide is beefy.

Might try driving up on a single Camco 44501 yellow leveling block on each drivers side wheel and then slide on out. Hope that helps.

(Sold the Vibe 6506)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stabilizers