Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2015, 07:27 PM   #1

What are the stabilizers supposed to do?

So I go to all the trouble of making sure our 24W is level before doing anything. I put down the "Stabilizers" and make sure it is still level. Then when I extend the slide out, the whole motor home leans to the left! So what good are stabilizers? Shouldn't there be a leveling system instead? That would be nice since the propane refrigerator has to be level. Could the stabilizers be defective? Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Rogerbruchay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:37 PM   #2
Georgia Rally Coordinator

How large is the slide out? Are you sure they are resting firm on the ground? When I had two slides I had to raise the left side of the trailer then put the stabilizer jacks down then the slides. If my camper was level when I parked still ha to raise the left side. Always came out level doing this. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:38 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Some times with the weight of the slide you have to put that side high so when the slide does come out its level.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "11 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:40 PM   #4

It sounds as if the stabilizers may not be working correctly. They're not intended to level the coach, merely to keep it from rocking from side to side. I think a true leveling system would involve more money, more weight, and, perhaps, less ground clearance.

Anyway, my stabilizers seem to do a pretty good (not perfect) job of keeping motion to a minimum. Perhaps yours need to be adjusted? One thing you could do yourself is to follow the bigfoot instructions for bleeding the air out of the system. The bigfoot manual includes a troubleshooting section, which includes the following suggestions (among others):
  • There may be air in the system… Fully extend both jacks leave for 30 minutes... Lower jacks.
  • Low fluid level (Must be 3/4” below top of reservoir)
  • To purge system, add necessary fluid and run up & down a few times.
You might try these (or some of the other troubleshooting ideas). If they don't work, you'll probably need to contact their customer support at (269) 483-9634 or service@quadraleveler.com

Dave
DaveJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:23 PM   #5
Commercial Member

"Stabilizers" do just that. Stabilize the unit from rocking. Levelers require 3 or 4 points...neither of which will Mercedes allow the mfg to do. Upfitters are not allowed to weld onto the Mercedes frame...only bolt. In the back there is an area where we can bolt to...in the front, not so much. I think Big Foot has a way to make it happen, but it requires welding and again, Mercedes forbids that.

I know that some people have put a 4 point leveling system on...but it was their liability not ours.

How much is your motorhome actually leaning? It doesn't need to be dead perfect for the fridge.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:35 PM   #6

Actually Big Foot does make a jack system for the front of the Solera I put one on a couple of months ago they are bolted on not welded. They help stabilize the coach a lot more than with just the rear stabilizer alone. Like Brian says too not a lot of room in front for the system but they will go in.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
How large is the slide out? Are you sure they are resting firm on the ground? When I had two slides I had to raise the left side of the trailer then put the stabilizer jacks down then the slides. If my camper was level when I parked still ha to raise the left side. Always came out level doing this. Later RJD
This is the Team I am On! Big slides or multiple on one side will cause Lean! I ramp (Every Time) we Set up! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2474.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	396.4 KB
ID:	82927   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4546.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	441.5 KB
ID:	82928  
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:43 PM   #8

We haven't received our W yet but have read about the stabi-lite stabilizers that are used on the W model. It is my understanding that you can adjust the down pressure separately for each leg so adjusting the slide side for more pressure should keep it level??
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:05 PM   #9

http://equalizersystems.com/files/sh...ion_Manual.pdf
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:06 PM   #10

[QUOTE=Rogerbruchay;923397]So I go to all the trouble of making sure our 24W is level before doing anything. I put down the "Stabilizers" and make sure it is still level. Then when I extend the slide out, the whole motor home leans to the left! So what good are stabilizers? Shouldn't there be a leveling system instead? That would be nice since the propane refrigerator has to be level. Could the stabilizers be defective? Any ideas?

For those on here that do not have Soleras, what Rogerbruchay is speaking of is the new Solera 24W that has a very large single slide on the most of the drivers side of the rig. This slide is beefy.

Might try driving up on a single Camco 44501 yellow leveling block on each drivers side wheel and then slide on out. Hope that helps.

2015 Solera MBS 24R - Hellwig/Sumo Equipped, Sold
(Sold the Vibe TT, as well)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:31 PM   #11
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pod2Vibe View Post
For those on here that do not have Soleras, what Rogerbruchay is speaking of is the new Solera 24W that has a very large single slide on the most of the drivers side of the rig. This slide is beefy.
Yep, got one of them beefy slides too. When we level, the TT is not actually level. We level with one to two degrees up on the slide side. The rig goes level when the slide goes out.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:27 AM   #12

If you start (Level) you will NOT be when the (Big Slide) comes out! You MUST Practice (Shimming/Wedging/Raising/Lifting/Overcorrecting) whatever you want to call it to produce the (Level) outcome you desire! Youroo!!
Old 07-15-2015, 06:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Some times with the weight of the slide you have to put that side high so when the slide does come out its level.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "11 nights"
Spot on! That's what I do...Most times I always put something under the slide out side tires. That side starts out high, when I pull the out it levels out. We have a large heavy slide. If i don't do this the shower is slow to drain as the drain is on the inner part of the trailer.
Campster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
This is the Team I am On! Big slides or multiple on one side will cause Lean! I ramp (Every Time) we Set up! Youroo!!
Do you use a sledge hammer to do the level? Picture doesn't make any sense to me. No noobie, been camping for over 40 years, rv'ing for 25-30 of that. Thanks in advance for the explanation...
Old 07-15-2015, 01:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerbruchay View Post
So I go to all the trouble of making sure our 24W is level before doing anything. I put down the "Stabilizers" and make sure it is still level. Then when I extend the slide out, the whole motor home leans to the left! So what good are stabilizers? Shouldn't there be a leveling system instead? That would be nice since the propane refrigerator has to be level. Could the stabilizers be defective? Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Since retired construction worker I have a good four foot level when I level my slide side I put it about a quarter bubble high then I put stabilizers down and run slides out it is dead on. After some practice I know how high to put leveling blocks.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverArrowPro View Post
Do you use a sledge hammer to do the level? Picture doesn't make any sense to me. No noobie, been camping for over 40 years, rv'ing for 25-30 of that. Thanks in advance for the explanation...
I wish I had a (Dollar) for all the (Pm and E-Mails) that have been sent to me on (How Do You Put Those Under the Wheels)! Here we go (Place 1 Ramp in Front of the Front Tire now Slowly pull Forward Up the Ramp and STOP! Now place the Other Ramp BEHIND the Rear Tire SLOWLY release the brake and let the TIRES Equalize Between the (2) Ramps! DONE!! The RV Unit is Now (Chocked and Lifted)!
The amount you (Drive UP the 1st Ramp) will Determine the FINAL settling Height of the RV unit! Can we say (50/50) with Rollback? Very Easy and Quick Method! Youroo!! PS Sun and Shade make it look like a (2-Tone Trailer)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2475.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	381.9 KB
ID:	82979  
Old 07-15-2015, 01:58 PM   #17
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Yessireebob! I level with the slide side a half-bubble high. A couple of hours later, it's level.

Teach
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:10 PM   #18

Who manufacturers those leveling ramps/chocks? Where did you purchase? Thanks!

2016 Forest River Wildwood Heritage Glen 282RK
2015 Chevy Silverado
2011 Suzuki Burgman 650

RoyandCherryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:10 PM   #19

Tried the setup with a little more than 1/2 bubble. Works fine. I'll check it in the morning and see how much it changed.
Rogerbruchay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:12 PM   #20

Yooroo. Where did you get those leveling ramps? I like your method......
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stabilizers