Old 08-30-2014, 09:06 PM   #11

iPhone

FYI the built-in Compass app has a leveling function

just slide the compass display leftward

if I pull out the ash-tray in the Sprinter and place the iPhone flat on it, it's sufficiently level for me, and I can glance at it while maneuvering

Old 08-30-2014, 09:47 PM   #12

Our Solera has the big foot stabilizers. They are a poor replacement for a self leveling jack system. I drive in or back in depending on the slope of the site and just eyeball the leveling using the stabilizers. In the past I spent a lot of time worrying about being perfectly level as we would be parked for a least a day or more at each site. With the Solera we do not tow a car which means we are driving the Solera every day while on holidays. I could not be bothered to spend all that time levelling every time we get back to a site.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
Our Solera has the big foot stabilizers. They are a poor replacement for a self leveling jack system. I drive in or back in depending on the slope of the site and just eyeball the leveling using the stabilizers. In the past I spent a lot of time worrying about being perfectly level as we would be parked for a least a day or more at each site. With the Solera we do not tow a car which means we are driving the Solera every day while on holidays. I could not be bothered to spend all that time levelling every time we get back to a site.
X2. For those really unlevel sites I built 2 portable two tier leveling drive on blocks. Use 2x8's sandwiched with plywood for structural integrity. Cut the entry points at 45 degree angles so you can drive up on the first and second tiers for truely unlevel sites. Length of drive on blocks should be twice the footprint (each tier) of the tire at rest. Just measure the length of the tire as it contacts with the ground for proper length then double it. Total length was restricted to driverside storage bay width.
Attach to side a rope handle for easy removal. That works for me and since I used scrap lumber, it was free.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:19 PM   #14

I know this is over kill but 2 pieces of 2"x10"x 8' then a 4 ft section to raise side to side or 1"x10"x4'. Our bed is in a slide out so I leave that side a little high on the bubble because when I open the slide it goes to perfect level.
The 2 pieces of 2"x10"x8' is more for spreading the weight of the trailer over a larger area just in case of heavy rain so the trailer won't sink. Each Stabilizer gets a 5/4 x6" piece put under them also to get a bigger foot on the stabilizer again to lessen the chance of sinking in in a heavy rain. The idea of having to get a tow out doesn't appeal to me.

Tags
leveling, solera