Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2014, 08:23 AM   #1
Needs Help

What do you use for leveling your Solera?

I know I can use 2x boards. Looking at leveling blocks, tri-levelers and anderson camper levelers.

What do you use? Do you worry more about side to side, or try and get the entire vehicle level?
Old 06-14-2014, 08:42 AM   #2

I used t be very picky ....not any more. I just use my calibrated eyballs and make sure that if the coach is not level the rear is higher then the front because of the bed arrangement. If I really get a very uneven campsite I carry 6 short pieces of 2x6 -and I make sure the wheels are fully supported across the full width and if I have to use something on the rear I support both wheels.
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:51 AM   #3

I got my MH completely level using a four foot level, then I installed small stick on levels, one in front of the steering wheel and one below the driver side window. Using these it is often possible to move the coach a little bit around the parking spot to get the most level spot possible. They are real important in the worst spots, moving a few feet can get you very close to level.
Enconcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:03 AM   #4

I made up some 2X10 and 1X10 boards to handle side to side leveling. For front to back I use the tongue jack on a block I made out of a 2X10 and 2X6's. It sets the jack base at about 8" off the ground. To date the most I have had to raise the TT is 3" side to side and have been well within the range of the tongue jack. This is in my driveway. The camping sites we have had were all pretty level or only needed a 1" board.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:06 AM   #5

Leveling

I use 4 of the tri-level units and carry 4 2x8 boards. The tri-level levelers stack really well for storage. I use a 2' level on the floor and store it behind the drivers seat. I find that at the most I need to level 3 wheels. I use the rear levelers that came with the Solera to finish it off.
2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
Palmyra,VA
MountainTrippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:27 AM   #6
2012 Solera 24S

I use the lego blocks and this bubble level app:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bubb...ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Just lay it on the floor to my right from the drivers seat.
Nats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:35 PM   #7

I also use 2 sets of Lego blocks and my I phone app
They stack quite nicely in the rear corner of my solera s compartment above the extra 2 1/2 gallon of def fluid
I carry.
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:26 PM   #8
2015 Solera 24R

Sandiegodoug: Thanks for the phone app idea. I downloaded "Bubble". Looks like this bubble leveling app will work nicely. - Gary

Borrowing from Janis Joplin's "Me and Bobby McGee": Freedom is just another word for... RVing in a Solera.
RVing555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:42 PM   #9

2 sets of Lego blocks have done the job when needed.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:37 PM   #10

We have a bubble level in the refrigerator and carry 2x6 boards to drive up on in very un-level sites, but honestly, our Solera is almost always level if we try to find a decently flat site. We use our Bigfoot stabilizers as well and they can help level up if we're only a tiny bit off. Leveling the Solera is a dream compared to our previous much longer coach. If we need to use the blocks, we only need to drive up them usually to raise the front a few inches.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:06 PM   #11

iPhone

FYI the built-in Compass app has a leveling function

just slide the compass display leftward

if I pull out the ash-tray in the Sprinter and place the iPhone flat on it, it's sufficiently level for me, and I can glance at it while maneuvering
ipolyihh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:47 PM   #12

Our Solera has the big foot stabilizers. They are a poor replacement for a self leveling jack system. I drive in or back in depending on the slope of the site and just eyeball the leveling using the stabilizers. In the past I spent a lot of time worrying about being perfectly level as we would be parked for a least a day or more at each site. With the Solera we do not tow a car which means we are driving the Solera every day while on holidays. I could not be bothered to spend all that time levelling every time we get back to a site.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
Our Solera has the big foot stabilizers. They are a poor replacement for a self leveling jack system. I drive in or back in depending on the slope of the site and just eyeball the leveling using the stabilizers. In the past I spent a lot of time worrying about being perfectly level as we would be parked for a least a day or more at each site. With the Solera we do not tow a car which means we are driving the Solera every day while on holidays. I could not be bothered to spend all that time levelling every time we get back to a site.
X2. For those really unlevel sites I built 2 portable two tier leveling drive on blocks. Use 2x8's sandwiched with plywood for structural integrity. Cut the entry points at 45 degree angles so you can drive up on the first and second tiers for truely unlevel sites. Length of drive on blocks should be twice the footprint (each tier) of the tire at rest. Just measure the length of the tire as it contacts with the ground for proper length then double it. Total length was restricted to driverside storage bay width.
Attach to side a rope handle for easy removal. That works for me and since I used scrap lumber, it was free.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:19 PM   #14

I know this is over kill but 2 pieces of 2"x10"x 8' then a 4 ft section to raise side to side or 1"x10"x4'. Our bed is in a slide out so I leave that side a little high on the bubble because when I open the slide it goes to perfect level.
The 2 pieces of 2"x10"x8' is more for spreading the weight of the trailer over a larger area just in case of heavy rain so the trailer won't sink. Each Stabilizer gets a 5/4 x6" piece put under them also to get a bigger foot on the stabilizer again to lessen the chance of sinking in in a heavy rain. The idea of having to get a tow out doesn't appeal to me.

Tags
leveling, solera