Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2012, 09:17 AM   #1

What to get our new 2013 Solera?

We picked up our new Solera and would like to know your comments or issues with getting the following items to get us started:
1. Bed sheets?
2. Full RV cover?
3. Front windshield exterior cover or interior solar windshield cover (concerned about fogging/frosting in the am)?
3a. Side view mirror covers (mine aren't heated)?
4. Sewage hose.
5. Exterior back up lights mounted to coach or?
6. Sanitizing the fresh water tank?
7. Any other must haves?
Old 09-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #2

How the heck do you edit your own thread
The edit box appeared when I did this reply but not on the original post?

Item 4 was already answered by JLeising in another thread (thank you) and I forgot to add one item...
I'm up in Northern California and want to know if anyone has any good recommendations on a place to go for my first overnight trip?
Antiochrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiochrich
How the heck do you edit your own thread
The edit box appeared when I did this reply but not on the original post?

Item 4 was already answered by JLeising in another thread (thank you) and I forgot to add one item...
I'm up in Northern California and want to know if anyone has any good recommendations on a place to go for my first overnight trip?
You only have so long to edit a post.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
2012 Solera

We are from Redwood City - keep the RV in Half Moon Bay. Antioch is close -

We use "full" or double bed sheets. We just tuck in the "rounded" corner. We have added a 4 inch memory foam mattress topper.

You can find most of the accessories you are looking for via Amazon. Another source is Camping World Product Wizard - Camping World.

We don't cover the RV - so far, we use it too often to want to bother with putting one on and taking it off.

You might want to try camping before deciding on what kind of cab/mirror covers you want. The privacy curtain Forest River provides is functional. We have added a passenger side seat swivel and so have decided we want cab area access - we now use a "sun shield" - Jumbo from an auto parts store - for the windshield, and have made slip over "curtains" for the side windows. We haven't had a significant fogging issue.

Our Solera has a large side light on the rear driver's side that has a switch on the Coach control panel, as I remember. As you can't see out the back, I think this is the solution Forest River has implemented.

Lots of info in the forum on how to sanitize the fresh water system. Basically, add some chlorine bleach to the fresh water tank (check owner's manual or search forum for amount), fill the tank, open all the faucets one at a time (cold, then hot) until you smell chlorine at each, drive some to "slosh around", let set for several hours, drain and refill fresh water tank, open faucets and flush each, repeat drain and flush (until no chlorine smell plus a little extra flushing). There is also a suggested swimming pool chlorine method to maintain after sanitizing (search this forum).

As to where to go - we really enjoy the National Parks - Yosemite, Lassen, Crater Lake. If either of you is over 62, get a "Golden Eagle" pass - cheap, free entrance for life, half price camping. A Great Deal!!

Have fun -
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:21 PM   #5

When we got out Solera we were advised to take a short trip to see what we needed for it. We did and came home bought about $200 worth of stuff then we went for a long trip almost a month. Came home and am still buys things that I decided we need.

1.Window cover is nice to have the Curtain that comes with it is good to go thou.
2.Never have enough leveling blocks
3.We got a full cover for ours as we are in Iowa and have some pretty good winters
4.Were advised to get wheel covers which we did. (Tires $2000+)
5.Just ordered a couple of Fan Tastic fans for the vents.

and the list goes on.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #6
2012 Solera

We have a large plastic container with a lid to keep all the sewer hoses and other nasty bits. Fits in the large rear storage nicely. Easy to carry to the rear for hook-up. Get a good grade of hose with fittings that match up; Cheap ones go bad real fast.
Careful with the water hose fitting, It is easy to cross-thread and strip the plastic. I'm going to get a short hose section that will stay on the coach connector and avoid the risk.

Good luck!
JamesR is offline   Reply With Quote