Old 07-03-2016, 12:48 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Pedrodasdas
Wheel Alignment.....again !

Hello,

My Solera is now 48,000 miles and due for a third set of front tires !

It has gone thru 3 alignments so far with no changes, all three used MB specifications to perform the job.

I read on another forum someone had change his camber from MB spec (1.0 to 1.5) and put it to 0 degree. But he was wearing the outside of his tires, I am wearing the inside. After just 10,000 miles, the steering wheel starts to shake and the tires are just good to plant flowers in them !!!

I went to another shop today where they told me Forest River should have the correct specs for my Solera, never heard of that, not in my documentation anyway. May somebody confirm or deny this point ? I'm waiting for an answer (and my new tires) to get the alignment.

If somebody out there has over 40,000 miles on his Solera without front tire wear, please, send me your alignment specs !!!!!

If anybody has any suggestions, any help will be appreciate.

Pierrôt and Sylvie D'Astous, Solera 2011
Canada in summer, FL-TX-LO-NM-AZ in winter !
Nights camped in: 2014-96, 2015-139, 2016-89
Pedrodasdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:07 PM   #2

Take your Solera to a Large truck alingment shop. they can look at the tire wear and adjust settings to compensate. you did not say if wear was even or rough, only on one side or both sides. I was getting 100,000 miles out of steer tires without noticeable wear on my KW's when I retired

Amateur Radio W5CI 2016 Days Camping 50
2017 Days Camping 31
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:20 PM   #3

Here is what I understand it to be. Alignment at the factory on the MB chassis is proper. However, when the FR box is added the added weight somtimes puts the caster out of alignment. Whoever told you FR would know the specs is clueless. They build RV's not the chassis. So, if you bring it back to them chalk up more abnormal tire wear. They are only setting up the chassis to specs, not going the xtra mile in looking whats right infront of them (your existing spent tires).

Here is what I did, and it worked to correct caster on the pass right tire. I was experiencing abnormal wear on the passenger front outside tire tread. Losened lock nut on tie rod end on that side and turned rod 1/4 turn, effectively bringing the tire more in alignment . Reset the lock nut and monitored the wear. In my case the cupping and tire scrubbing was just beginning. Subsequent driving allowed the tire to wear true, and almost eliminated the slight cupping. You will expierence tire cupping increase, when the caster setting allows tire scrub, producing wheel shake as the cupping increases.

If you try this procedure, only adjust the caster in 1/4 increments, as the caster adjustment is extremely sensitive to tie rod adjustments. Then monitor and drive. Unfortunately, it sounds like you fried the current tire(s). Good luck.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:16 PM   #4

The thing is, if I read your procedure right you are adjusting the toe, not caster.

Think of a straight line between the upper and lower ball joints. Moving that line so that it leans more forward or back you are changing the caster. Moving it to lean in toward the center of the vehicle or outward away from the center is changing the camber.

Those two adjustments are not easy to make. If you have Independent suspension it is usually done with shims. When you have a solid axle they have to bend it.
jk510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 02:23 PM   #5

Thank you both,

Both tires shows the same damage. Wear is in the inside and cupping had just begin, can feel it in the steering wheel.

Yes, my tires are, once again, kaput !

For Forest River, the alignment guy said they SHOULD be aware of the problem, and SHOULD know how to correct it if they really cared to. I suppose Mister Buffet has other priorities !

In the other hand, it seems I'
m the only one with this problem !?!?!?

Old 07-03-2016, 02:27 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Here is what I understand it to be. Alignment at the factory on the MB chassis is proper. However, when the FR box is added the added weight somtimes puts the caster out of alignment. Whoever told you FR would know the specs is clueless. They build RV's not the chassis. So, if you bring it back to them chalk up more abnormal tire wear. They are only setting up the chassis to specs, not going the xtra mile in looking whats right infront of them (your existing spent tires).

Here is what I did, and it worked to correct caster on the pass right tire. I was experiencing abnormal wear on the passenger front outside tire tread. Losened lock nut on tie rod end on that side and turned rod 1/4 turn, effectively bringing the tire more in alignment . Reset the lock nut and monitored the wear. In my case the cupping and tire scrubbing was just beginning. Subsequent driving allowed the tire to wear true, and almost eliminated the slight cupping. You will expierence tire cupping increase, when the caster setting allows tire scrub, producing wheel shake as the cupping increases.

If you try this procedure, only adjust the caster in 1/4 increments, as the caster adjustment is extremely sensitive to tie rod adjustments. Then monitor and drive. Unfortunately, it sounds like you fried the current tire(s). Good luck.
Tie rod ends adjust toe in/toe out, not caster or camber.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:31 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrodasdas View Post
Thank you both,

Both tires shows the same damage. Wear is in the inside and cupping had just begin, can feel it in the steering wheel.

Yes, my tires are, once again, kaput !

For Forest River, the alignment guy said they SHOULD be aware of the problem, and SHOULD know how to correct it if they really cared to. I suppose Mister Buffet has other priorities !

In the other hand, it seems I'
m the only one with this problem !?!?!?
Wear on inside of both tires indicate improper camber, cupping is caused by the tires not being balanced.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:46 PM   #8
RCW

MB alignment spec's rely on ride height measurements. In other words the caster and camber spec's change depending on the current ride height. If the shop you are using does not have a tool for measuring ride height (and most do not ) they are not doing the alignment per MB spec's. My suggestion would be to make sure the shop has the equipment to perform the alignment properly and the load the vehicle as you would when traveling before having the alignment done.
I hope this helps.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:48 PM   #9

Thanks OldCoot,

That exactly that ! Camber seems to be the problem. Tires are well balanced but cupping can also be caused by improper camber.

Old 07-03-2016, 03:04 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrodasdas View Post
Thanks OldCoot,

That exactly that ! Camber seems to be the problem. Tires are well balanced but cupping can also be caused by improper camber.
That's a new one on me! Can/would you explain how camber causes cupping?

Tags
alignment, wheel