Old 03-03-2016, 03:12 PM   #21

I broke down and called Progressive Industries too. They helped me reason the best solution for us. It came down to several good arguments -

1. What will we be doing more - shore-power, or generator? We will be > 90% shore power, so put the protection before the ATS.

2. If the ATS gets taken out by a spike/reverse-polarity/etc. (a very real possibility), we are no longer able to power the RV - short of wiring around the ATS while camping.

3. If the ATS gets taken out, I have to pay to replace it. If the PI gets taken out, PI replaces it.

4. If I put the PI unit after the ATS, it will protect me from the generator too. BUT, that is a double-edged sword. The Generator will drop voltage when the A/C turns on, and depending on how much it drops, the frequency also goes crazy, according to PI. Therefore, the PI 'might' shutdown based on low/high frequency and/or low voltage during A/C startup current draw.

For us it all means that before the ATS is the best place to put the PI

Old 03-04-2016, 10:32 AM   #22

We had a power surge from a near by lighting strike that disabled the ATS. Only worked on gen power. installed a manual switch under the closet and got rid of the cheap ATS.

Old 03-04-2016, 02:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfshagar View Post
We had a power surge from a near by lighting strike that disabled the ATS. Only worked on gen power. installed a manual switch under the closet and got rid of the cheap ATS.
That's not a bad idea. I suppose if you had the PI you might not have lost the ATS ?

My ATS is still operational, although it is going to be a PITA to wire in the PI. The ATS has two orange 10gauge wires bundled into one hole, and the grey conduit coming from the generator into the other. There is NO WAY to visually determine which orange wire comes from the outside connector, and which one goes to the distribution panel. Both wires disappear under the water heater, and I can't trace them. The only way I know to figure out which-is-which is to pull them both out of the ATS and then put a meter on them to find the one that has power. I also may be able to figure out which-is-which when I unwire them from the ATS.

The ATS looks like I'll be cutting my fingers to rewire it, and FR didn't put it in a good spot - I will re-orient it so it is more easily accessible.

Hope to do it all tomorrow !
Old 03-04-2016, 05:21 PM   #24

EMS Installation

I completed my EMS installation today on our 2015 Forester MBS. As you can see, it is mounted to another 1X6 that I installed above the factory brace for the ATS.

The wiring was a bit of a pain, but not too bad. Once you open the ATS, you can determine which of the two romex wires is from the shore power receptacle and I put a tone generator on it just to verify.

Double checked all the connections, used new wire nuts in the ATS wiring and then powered up the coach from the outside. Haven't tried the generator yet, but no reason to assume it won't work as before.

After the 15 second time delay, the coach AC power came on and I could monitor volts, frequency and amps from the EMS pendant remote.

Sorry about the duplicate thumbnail, couldn't figure out how to delete it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2017.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	356.5 KB
ID:	101072   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2018.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	370.5 KB
ID:	101073   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2019.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	290.2 KB
ID:	101074  
Old 03-06-2016, 07:45 AM   #25

Nice Installation ! I would venture to say that a dealer would not do that kind of quality job, and charge you $100's of dollars.

My 2015 24R was a bit more cramped than your MBS. I prewired the PI with 4' and 5' 10g wires so all I had to do was screw it to the wall next to the drawer over the water heater, and wire it to the ATS. The only real difficulty I had was removing that one-time-use grey plastic cable clamp that FR used to secure the input/output 10g wires. I basically had to destroy the clamp with sidecutters and pliers to get it out. Put a traditional screw-down clamp like the PI uses so if you ever have to replace the ATS, you will save 20 minutes of your life !

Mine went online fine too, and like you - I have to test the generator next.

I'll post pictures when I get a chance for those that have a 24R and are interested in one way to install the PI.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:36 AM   #26

Guess yours is different

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusslejj View Post
Nice Installation ! I would venture to say that a dealer would not do that kind of quality job, and charge you $100's of dollars.

My 2015 24R was a bit more cramped than your MBS. I prewired the PI with 4' and 5' 10g wires so all I had to do was screw it to the wall next to the drawer over the water heater, and wire it to the ATS. The only real difficulty I had was removing that one-time-use grey plastic cable clamp that FR used to secure the input/output 10g wires. I basically had to destroy the clamp with sidecutters and pliers to get it out. Put a traditional screw-down clamp like the PI uses so if you ever have to replace the ATS, you will save 20 minutes of your life !

Mine went online fine too, and like you - I have to test the generator next.

I'll post pictures when I get a chance for those that have a 24R and are interested in one way to install the PI.
Thanks much.

I have a Forester MBS R floor plan - so I'm surprised your installation is different. Mine is installed in the back wall over the water heater compartment too. In these pictures, I removed the rear drawer slide to make the installation easier. Maybe that's why it looks less cramped. But you are right, there is not a lot of room to work with.

Tags
2014, solera