Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2015, 06:07 PM   #1

Where to install surge protector 2014 solera

I recently purchased a 2014 24r solera and am trying to find out where to install an inline Progressive surge protector. I know it should go before the automatic transfer switch but the space is so crowded I cannot fit it in. Does anyone know where the cable is run from the outside plug-in to the ATS? Any suggestions on where to install.
insideFRSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:38 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by insideFRSolera View Post
I recently purchased a 2014 24r solera and am trying to find out where to install an inline Progressive surge protector. I know it should go before the automatic transfer switch but the space is so crowded I cannot fit it in. Does anyone know where the cable is run from the outside plug-in to the ATS? Any suggestions on where to install.
Why should it be before the ATS? I put mine under the kitchen area right behind the ele dust panel. In line with the 30 amp power coming into the panel.
HossHogRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 01:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossHogRV View Post
Why should it be before the ATS? I put mine under the kitchen area right behind the ele dust panel. In line with the 30 amp power coming into the panel.
Thanks for responding. My initial thought was to put it in line with the 30 amp power coming into the panel but in talking with the manufacturer they stated that it should be before the ATS to protect it. The problem I am having is regarding the space available where the ATS is located.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:55 AM   #4

I have the W layout and found a perfect place right where the wire enters the rv. There is a box that contains the water filter and has a access panel. It is referred to as a "nightstand." On yours check and see where it enters and follow its path as best you can. I also wanted to install as close to the main plug as possible.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:55 AM   #5
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Add more wire.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:15 PM   #6

seen this before but do not remember, what is considered to be best hardwired surge protector for 50 amp motorhome?
DAPYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:23 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAPYES View Post
seen this before but do not remember, what is considered to be best hardwired surge protector for 50 amp motorhome?
Progressive industries ems

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "27 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:29 PM   #8

thank you much
DAPYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:25 PM   #9

Random Locations for things on the 24R

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossHogRV View Post
I have the same model and year you have. Any idea what path the external power line follows ? I was expecting to find a junction box somewhere, but didn't. Do you suppose it comes across the coach to the water-heater area under the closet, into the ATS, and then from there over to the kitchen under the stove where the distribution panel is ?
They certainly put things in 'random' places. For instance, the two slide-out electronic control boxes are behind the black door where the winterization line is. You have to stand on you head if you need to work on one of them. That is where I would put them - with water lines and valves.

Thanks !
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusslejj View Post
Do you suppose it comes across the coach to the water-heater area under the closet, into the ATS, and then from there over to the kitchen under the stove where the distribution panel is ?
I believe that the power does, indeed, go from the power inlet to a junction box under the closet...I think that panel comes off with four screws...

Dave
Old 02-26-2016, 05:11 PM   #11

Yes the Lippert contollers are in the water bay, AND they are mounted upside down, AND when you have a small drip from the fill spout (due to a wayward screw through the tube) it will almost certainly find its way into the box and fry your circuit board...ask me how I know. If you do nothing else, remount them so the opening where the wires attach is facing downward the way God intended. Mounting the way they did saved 3 inches of wire at the most! Good grief.
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:38 AM   #12

Yes, that is exactly where the power comes in. I took off the panel in the front and removed the bottom of the closet for easier access. I installed the surge protector in this area before the ATS. I had to install an additional junction box to extend the length of the wiring and everything is working great.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by insideFRSolera View Post
Yes, that is exactly where the power comes in. I took off the panel in the front and removed the bottom of the closet for easier access. I installed the surge protector in this area before the ATS. I had to install an additional junction box to extend the length of the wiring and everything is working great.
Where did you put the remote panel ? I think the best place would be near the outside door next to the 4-5 rocker switches under the sink - it looks like an ideal place (as long as little hands don't flip the switch)...
Old 03-01-2016, 08:09 AM   #14

Why before the ATS?

I'm getting ready to install a Progressive Industries surge protector on our Forester MBS. I understand the desire to protect the ATS, so that would indicate placing the protector between the external power input and the ATS. However, this does not protect the coach from generator power.

Placing the protector downstream of the ATS before the distribution panel protects the coach from external power and generator faults, but leaves the ATS vulnerable.

I assume the likelihood of generator faults is much less than that of external power faults.

So which is the better installation location - before or after the ATS?
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:15 AM   #15

I talked to a couple electrician friends of mine, and their consensus was to put the Surge Protector after the ATS. Their argument was the generator could potentially send dirty/over/under power to the coach as well, and putting it in front of the ATS eliminates protection from the generator.

The other thing that occurred to me is if you are on generator and running A/C, and for whatever reason someone flips the microwave on, you just got a tremendous SAG in voltage that hits the entire coach. The PI will kill power to the coach instead of letting the entire coach experience the sag.

Has anyone wired their PI after the ATS, and how does it handle an instant draw, like the A/C ?
Old 03-03-2016, 01:01 PM   #16

Surge protector installation

I had originally planned to install my EMS downstream of the ATS as many have suggested.

However, I did talk to tech support at Progressive Industries about their recommended location. They recommend upstream of the ATS on the shore power line. Obviously this does not protect the generator feed to the ATS and to the coach.

The likelihood of bad generator power is very low on my MBS - the Cummins/Onan diesel genset is an inverter style and has a lot of built in protections. If bad shore power takes out the ATS, you are kind of dead in the water.

Given these concerns, I installed my EMS on the shore power line, upstream of the ATS.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:40 PM   #17

So installing after the ATS leaves the ATS at risk? What is the risks associated with that? I installed mine after the ATS and I have no generator. Should I consider a junction box and remove the surge protector to before the ATS? Or is another 6 to one half dozen to another argument?

Thanks
Old 03-03-2016, 01:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRRVR View Post
I installed mine after the ATS and I have no generator.
Hmm. If you don't have a generator, why do you have an automatic transfer switch?

Maybe I'm missing something here!

Dave
Old 03-03-2016, 01:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
I had originally planned to install my EMS downstream of the ATS as many have suggested.
Given these concerns, I installed my EMS on the shore power line, upstream of the ATS.
I did not know that the Diesel Genset is an Inverter. I have the propane model, and I do not believe it is an inverter, but I'll check. I also recall reading somewhere that the PI does not like inverters because they have a floating ground and that will cause the PI to shut down because of it.

All good information.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:57 PM   #20

Or I could be?? Oh I guess my newness is showing

Tags
2014, solera