Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2016, 06:29 AM   #41

Replacing rear shocks - level of effort ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.M View Post
I replaced the rear shocks with Bilstein 24-177702 . Much improved handling. I already have helwig and sumos front and rear. Rocking when parked virtually gone. Road handling feels more like a large suv. I highly recommend this upgrade.
So I'm not intimidated by tackling things I have never done before, but I'm not a 'gearhead', and have never replaced shocks. I've done the Sumo Springs, and the Helwig already without any problems, but wonder if I can just unbolt the existing shocks without having to lift or brace the rear end in any way ? The Bilsteins were delivered yesterday. They do compress, albeit slowly.

Any tips on doing this ? I'm going to tackle it this weekend. Thanks ! Jeff
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:11 AM   #42

Jeff
I would look at bracing the rear just to be on the safe side with the weight of the vehicle.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:28 AM   #43

It's not too tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusslejj View Post
So I'm not intimidated by tackling things I have never done before, but I'm not a 'gearhead', and have never replaced shocks. I've done the Sumo Springs, and the Helwig already without any problems, but wonder if I can just unbolt the existing shocks without having to lift or brace the rear end in any way ? The Bilsteins were delivered yesterday. They do compress, albeit slowly.

Any tips on doing this ? I'm going to tackle it this weekend. Thanks ! Jeff
Given all the other mods you have already done, I suspect you will find this one pretty straightforward.

Toughest part is breaking the bolts and nuts free from the existing shocks while working on your back under the MH. If you can lift the back of the MH using jacks and/or your stabilizers (then using jackstands for safety), you can extend the shocks to their full length and then it will be easier to install the new ones.

You'll need a torque wrench for the install. Not sure where I found the torque specs, it may have been in the instructions with the shocks or I searched on the Sprinter forum.

Good luck!
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:48 AM   #44
Mod free 5er

Seeing as how the shocks DO NOT support the load, you don't need to block the frame. Shocks just dampen the movement but have nothing to do with supporting a load unless they are air shocks or coil over shocks which they are not.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:13 PM   #45

I used the "strap" method described on this site,no need to jack up vehicle.
Installing Bilstein Rear Shocks on Our 2006 Itasca Navion (Dodge/Mercedes Sprinter 3500 Chassis). No problems installing.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:31 PM   #46

Quote:
Installing Bilstein Rear Shocks on Our 2006 Itasca Navion (Dodge/Mercedes Sprinter 3500 Chassis). No problems installing.
"Very Nice-Thank You"

CaptDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:08 PM   #47

I just installed the Bilsteins...

Quote:
I purchased a 'cheap' ratchet strap from Menards for $6 and cut the strap short so it wouldn't get in my way. I was able to ratchet it exactly to 16 5/8" on-center, and the entire process was very easy. The original shocks were only one-way, so when I eventually back the old girl out of the garage, I'm expecting to notice a difference !
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:34 PM   #48

Glad it went well. Should notice better handling. DW did 100 miles of relief driving today on our way back from the Florida keys and said " It drives more like the Pilot (honda) now".