Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2016, 02:05 PM   #1

Widow must sell 2014 Solera, Advice Needed

I hope I am not breaking any rules by my posting. My hubby was the Forest
River Forum guy. I will first begin with: I am SO GLAD that we bought our
2014 Solera 24R. We never had any bad experiences and, in fact, we had
some of our BEST times because of our motorhome. We had only had a
chance to put 7,036 miles when, sadly, my husband passed away suddenly
and I am facing my new life.

I am looking for advice and information from you on how I will best
accomplish the sale of this vehicle. Of course, for this year's trip south,
we had purchased a 2013 Honda CR-V and it had it equipped for towing
behind our Solera. Blue Ox towing with additional braking System. (Easy
hookup system - I can hook it up and drive motorhome with ease)
This would be a great package deal! (Even have 2 Thule kayak carriers
installed on the Honda roofing system)

We were ALL ready for our 3 months in the Florida Keys!
Keeping my faith strong through the sadness.

Appreciate any help,
Thank you, Widow Mrb1
MRB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 02:19 PM   #2
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Sorry to here about your loss. You could try posting here on this site under Forest River classifieds. Would you consider to still camp some folks do. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 02:19 PM   #3

RJD,

Thank you for your response! I will check out the FRF classified to gather
information. And, you are right, I may consider your advice about keeping
the Solera. New times require new thoughts! Widow Mrb1
Old 01-30-2016, 02:34 PM   #4

There are websites for women who RV alone. You may want to wait a bit before you sell your Solara. I have read that you should wait a year before you make major decisions so you don't do anything you regret. Of course, selling your Solara is not too major a decision. Best wishes to you as you learn to live life without your husband. I'm sure it has to be the most difficult thing to do.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:34 PM   #5

I agree on the wait if you can afford to keep the Solara. If you have enjoyed RVing in the past, may still want to do it, perhaps with a group. Give yourself time to adjust. And he hasn't totally left you. 8-)
TreeLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:01 PM   #6

I am so sorry for your loss. I know there must be a million things going on in your life but the folks here make some good points. If you are able to continue travelling it really is a great way to stay active.

If you do sell one other option is consignment. Not always a great option because the dealer is of course going to get a cut of the sales price. I have a friend that sold his MH through PPL Motorhomes in Houston and he thinks he wound up with more money in his pocket than if he sold it himself.

There are always folks on this forum willing to help when they can so please let us know if you have more questions.
kenlea98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:08 PM   #7

Very sorry about your loss. We also have a 2014 24R Solera. A friend bought a 2015 and a friend of theirs a 2016...so the Solera is developing quite a fan group around here.

It would help if you added information about what part of the country you are in. I'm more likely to pass along the information if you are within 200 miles.

Also, when I sold my previous RV, and my car, I engaged my son to handle the showings and negotiations. It went quickly and both he and I benefited financially by not involving a dealer.

Linda
PNWTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:08 PM   #8

My condolences on your loss. I too own a 2014 Solera and I am a single female. My circumstances were a lot different though. Getting a small RV and seeing our country had been on my bucket list for 30 years while I was married and raising kids. My husband had no desire to purchase one or travel anywhere, he just wanted to hang out at the beach and surf nearby. After my divorce two years ago, I finally got my Solera. I love it and have put 17,000 mi. on it already. I purchased it six states and numerous mountain ranges away and drove it home by myself, terrified at first. By the time I made it back home, I felt such a sense of accomplishment and empowerment that if I could do it all by myself, I could handle anything. I haven't tried towing anything yet with it. I don't really feel like I need to because of it's small size and great maneuverability. I do take it into mid city Los Angeles and find parking for it. I also travel in my Solera to visit relatives and friends.
I would like to suggest that you slow down before you make any drastic changes in your lifestyle. You may regret it if you sell it too soon. Are there places on your list still to be seen? Do you have pets, or a friend or family member who could vacation with you and keep you company? I don't know if you are an animal lover. Personally, my two dogs have saved my sanity after my breakup and are my great traveling companions.
Best wishes in your new life and whatever route you choose.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:33 PM   #9

If you want keep traveling

If you think you might want to keep traveling, look into RVW (RVing women). It is a national organization with regional chapters. I've met many women who didn't want to give up their RVs after their husband passed. It's a great way to get support from other women RVers. Good luck to you.
Hoffwmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 02:52 PM   #10

There is no way to feel the sorrow of losing a sole mate until that ultimate time comes. I have told DW , that if I pass first, to move on and live her life to the fullest. Difficult to do at the moment, but a little easier as time moves on. Your hubby would expect you to do the same. Our sympathies from all of us whom your husband has touched.

You have taken the first big step by reaching out to others. In agreement with others, take a step back on selling until you are certain it is the right thing to do.

Should you decide to sell, I would strongly suggest posting all, or the part of the unit, you want to sell on Craisgslist.org. The Solera is set up with the toad and that may be an advantage. Post a lot of pictures and give a very detailed description. Do not tell prospects that the sale is due to your husband's death. Your reason for selling truthfully? We are making other life choices. Make sure you have at least one phone call and refrain from answering emails. Have someone with you when showing. Be very cautious in allowing a test drive, best when you have a cash deposit and full buyer information. Law enforcement views a test drive as giving someone permission to use the vehicle and not theft. The best way to transact money is bank-to-bank direct deposit and the best place to close the deal is in front of a personal banker.

Consigning a sale brings a whole new set of challenges. From experience, it would be the last option.

Should you decide for certain to sell, give us another post and we can go further into details.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 03:25 PM   #11

Deepest condolences! We have just gotten a Forester 2401R which is the successor to the Solera and about to head out on some trips this year. Whether or not to keep yours is a very personal decision because it can be fun but I'm sure it's full of memories too that you may want to leave right where they are. Best of luck in working that through and in finding a good buyer if you do decide to sell. Sorry I don't have any advice on that topic as haven't sold one yet.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:05 PM   #12

I, too, experienced the unexpected loss of my husband in 2012. Gut wrenching, soul searing. We are sisters.
We had a 30 ft Hurricane which I was afraid to drive in cities. It sat in the driveway for 8 mos and I decided I was not done RVing. It was traded in on a 23 ft FR Sunseeker, I got a Honda CRV, two dogs, and off we went. It has been great!!! I now have a traveling companion...you just never know. The folks on this site have been very helpful when I have questions. You already have a RV you can handle. You go girl !! See ya on the road.
Maggiewaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 04:28 PM   #13

This has little to do with your RV but you might listen to Neil Sedaka's recording of Rosemary Blue. It made me cry at first but then it helped a lot in accepting, adjusting and moving on.
Maggiewaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 04:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggiewaggie View Post
I, too, experienced the unexpected loss of my husband in 2012. Gut wrenching, soul searing. We are sisters.
We had a 30 ft Hurricane which I was afraid to drive in cities. It sat in the driveway for 8 mos and I decided I was not done RVing. It was traded in on a 23 ft FR Sunseeker, I got a Honda CRV, two dogs, and off we went. It has been great!!! I now have a traveling companion...you just never know. The folks on this site have been very helpful when I have questions. You already have a RV you can handle. You go girl !! See ya on the road.
There is no better assurance than from someone who has been there and done that.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 04:50 PM   #15

Has anyone experienced or know anyone that has consigned the sale of a TT through camping world. Good idea or not?
Camping Days 2013 - 24
Camping Days 2014 - 21
Projected Camping Days 2015 - 30
Loneeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:45 PM   #16

Thank you for all your kind messages, everyone!
I have received a good amount of information from
you in posts and private messages!

I appreciate the time you spent sending info to me!
Now, I am starting to look at the motorhome from
a different angle ....

I am signing out now, Forum friends!
Widow Mrb1

Happy and safe travels to all!
Old 01-31-2016, 06:05 PM   #17

I personally Lost my wife, the Rv sat for a year then I started using it then later met a companion. I consigned that TT to PPL motorhomes in Houston, 90 days later I had a check for almost what I paid for it new. Yes they charge 10% but that is all, no hidden charges. I bought a Fiver and am still going.
I have a friend who bought a Nice class C from CW then a few months later found that he had cancer. he put it on consignment at CW where he bought it with no results a year later. He took it somewhere else and traded down for a small TT just to get rid of it.
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:10 PM   #18

Don't sell it. Use it as part of the life you will lead now. I am so sorry for your loss and my heart goes out to you in your pain. I lost my husband 25 years ago. Worked hard, raised my sons, saved my money. Retired 2 years ago and bought my Class C motorhome. I've traveled 16,000 in those 2 years and have had no problems traveling alone but I am careful about where I stay. People are so friendly and there are so many places to see that I find I get bored and lonely when I go home. Make a plan for your future before you sell.
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:21 PM   #19
jkoenig24

Condolences on your loss. Have you checked on: RVTrader.com: RV Sales - Class A, B, C Motorhomes, Travel Trailers, & Pop Up Camper RVs For Sale ? Free to register. You can see your specific model and gauge how much it's actually selling for. I don't remember if they charge to post a private ad. Do you have any local resources? There are radio stations that allow listeners to call in with items they want to sell. If any local radio stations offer this free service, write up a short but detailed description and call in at the appropriate time. The DJ will actually put you on the air and you get to read your information. You also give a contact phone number. Interested listeners will call you. Some stations accept mail in items and, will read your postcard on the air. In my area, the program is called Swap & Shop. As mentioned, there are RV groups for solo women. You CAN continue to RV if you choose to. Good luck!
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:27 PM   #20

2X on the posts, sorry for your loss; keep your faith ,it will help you make decisions . If yo u enjoy camping , continue , you did say you are comfortable hooking up and driving give yourself some time to decide.
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, solera