Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #21
Commercial Member

For future reference, just PM me and I can put you in touch with a dealer in the area that can accommodate your purchase, save you all the worry about driving and if the local will cover warranty. I cover Colorado to Alaska, not including the 4 southwest states.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #22

Make sure you have good insurance and it is up to date!
Tom Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #23

Winter Driving

Yes, I am now heavily insured...so that should take care of any unexpected "issues." Thank you all so much!
Marionap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #24

I am considering trading my 2008 Winnebago View on a new Solera. One thing that we use in the View all the time is an electrical outlet (110v) at the dinette booth. This is extremely useful for using my laptop (I use this unit for business as well as pleasure). There appears to be no outlet in the dinette area. Could one be supplied or has anyone added one later. Would it be very difficult. Seems as though an outlet in this area would be a no brainer.
serv523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #25

winter drivng

I was disappointed to not have an outlet at the dinette, but there is one near the floor under the sink, oddly, that works perfectly. Why are you thinking of trading a View for a Solera?
Old 03-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #26

Trading View for Solera

We really liked the interior of the 24S - while not much different in floorplan, because the slide opens with the panty and closet - it feels much more open. We travel with three dogs - a 100 lb Golden, a 95 lb. Lab, and a 55 pound Lab/Pit mix.

One other issue is that there is lots more exterior storage and I really like the locking doors as opposed to the doors on the View.

Have not made the decision yet, but are seriously considering. We have been quite happy with the View - it is a 2008 - although I never have gotten more than an average of 12.5 miles per gallon. Maybe that will go up with the newer Bluetec diesel engine in the newer chassis.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #27

winter driving

I looked at the View and could not afford it. The Solera seems to be a good alternative, more affordable for me. It had everything I need. It sounds, tho, like your View is doing just fine for you. Why are you thinking you want to replace it?

I have two dogs, a golden retriever and a border collie mix. There seems to be plenty of room for the three of us. The slide makes all the difference space-wise.

MPG seems to be related to how I drive, as much as anything. I think 14 mpg is reasonable, but there are lots of variables, of course. Lots still left to learn about it. But it keeps doing what i need it to do. Of course, I have not de-winterized it yet, so we'll see how the water system works. Soon. Still too cold here in Bend, Oregon.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #28
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by serv523 View Post
I am considering trading my 2008 Winnebago View on a new Solera. One thing that we use in the View all the time is an electrical outlet (110v) at the dinette booth. This is extremely useful for using my laptop (I use this unit for business as well as pleasure). There appears to be no outlet in the dinette area. Could one be supplied or has anyone added one later. Would it be very difficult. Seems as though an outlet in this area would be a no brainer.
There should be an outlet in the dinette area in the 24S. If not it shouldn't be that difficult to accommodate the request.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #29

Outlet near dinnette

If there is one there, we have not seen it. On our view it is located just above the rear dinette seat and actually has a 110v outlet as well as a 12 v similar to a cigarette lighter. Very handy for working with my computer. If this could be added before production - that would be great. It should be a standard place for an outlet because lots of people sit in the dinette area and work on computers and other devices which need power.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #30

On the Solera there is an outlet above the drivers seat up by the window by the overhead bunk. The only way to see it is with the slide out. We've used that one to plug in the phone.
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:59 PM   #31

Sounds like quite the adventure ~ depending on the weather forecast, I'd totally wait a bit longer.
clancythecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #32

Thanks Debbie:

How long have you had your Solera? Any pros and cons? Looks like you have the full body paint.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:11 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by serv523 View Post
Thanks Debbie:

How long have you had your Solera? Any pros and cons? Looks like you have the full body paint.
We have only had ours since October. We drive it every weekend however to our "retirement" house (300 miles rt). Have 8,000 miles on it already! Have camped 3 times and several more trips planned. We love it!
Old 03-23-2013, 07:54 AM   #34

Thanks Debbie.

Anyone else who has had a Solera 24s and would like to comment on the pros and cons would be appreciated.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:46 AM   #35

I'm a newbie to RVing, but so far love my new Solera. Picked it up the end of January. I've found there is a lot of sway when big trucks pass on a freeway, and going over bumps slowly, like speed bumps. It's very tall, but not real heavy, so does feels the wind. The Mercedes engine is exceptional. It's the only one I've had so can't say much about how it compares. This forum provides a wealth of information about the Solera, so it may be helpful to really make the effort to read all the threads. Everyone on here is just wonderful...responsive, smart, full of ideas. And having bclemens available to help with questions and concerns is invaluable Good luck!
Old 03-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionap View Post
I'm a newbie to RVing, but so far love my new Solera. Picked it up the end of January. I've found there is a lot of sway when big trucks pass on a freeway, and going over bumps slowly, like speed bumps. It's very tall, but not real heavy, so does feels the wind. The Mercedes engine is exceptional. It's the only one I've had so can't say much about how it compares. This forum provides a wealth of information about the Solera, so it may be helpful to really make the effort to read all the threads. Everyone on here is just wonderful...responsive, smart, full of ideas. And having bclemens available to help with questions and concerns is invaluable Good luck!
Marionap:
The swaying is consistent with almost all RV's. The large surface on these rigs acts like a sail when the wash from trucks hits them. We recently downsized from a 38' diesel pusher to our Solera. The "sway" is so much less with the Solera that it's almost inconsequential in comparison. There are aftermarket sway controls available for a lot of rigs, but I don't know if they are available for the Sprinter, and I haven't felt the need for one. You'll get used to watching your mirrors and anticipating when a truck approaches from the rear. By the way, you may want to browse other forums for comments about the Mercedes/Dodge Sprinters - more good information is available. Enjoy your rig... and welcome to RVing... it's an addiction.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #37

winter driving

Thank you so much, Ed and Becky! Good information. I am sure I'll get used to the sway. Hit 65 mph gusts in Wyoming in February, which was really scary. Decided to turn around and wait out the wind. Need to just do more (of less wind than that, of course), and I'll get used to it. I am very excited to be able to find this lifestyle. It's cold where I live, so have only been out a few times, and just for a couple of days. I am waiting for warmer weather to really get going. Next year I head south when it gets cold here. The dogs are having some trouble adjusting, but I expect with time and regular schedules they'll settle down. Come on, Spring....get here!
Old 03-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #38

65 mile an hour winds - wow - I think I'd try and find a cave to wait that out! No RV is going to handle well in that, I'm sure.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #39

Actually, it was only gusting to 65 mph....REALLY fun when a blast hit unexpectedly. The wind speeds were 35-45. Yes, we looked for a cave....but actually just went back to Laramie and hunkered down. I'm finding myself still worried about wind, but that may be something I can get over!

Tags
snow, winter