Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2015, 11:15 PM   #21

Officially called a do-hickey! ;-)
Old 10-29-2015, 11:59 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
Officially called a do-hickey! ;-)
Old 11-02-2015, 10:00 AM   #23

We recently purchased a 24R that was one year old. I searched this forum but did not find an answer to this question. The water filter of course must be emptied before winter freeze, but if I use the winterization hose to draw RV antifreeze into the plumbing, will it fill the filter assembly ? If so, how do I avoid pumping it full of antifreeze ?
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:04 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusslejj View Post
We recently purchased a 24R that was one year old. I searched this forum but did not find an answer to this question. The water filter of course must be emptied before winter freeze, but if I use the winterization hose to draw RV antifreeze into the plumbing, will it fill the filter assembly ? If so, how do I avoid pumping it full of antifreeze ?
You plan to remove filter first ,,, right ???
Why would you not want the canister to be full of antifreeze ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:36 AM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
If so, how do I avoid pumping it full of antifreeze ?
Put an empty soda bottle, or ping pong balls, in the filter canister to minimize the amount of antifreeze it will hold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Why would you not want the canister to be full of antifreeze ???
It wouldn't hurt anything but is a waste of expensive antifreeze to totally fill up the canister...
Old 11-02-2015, 10:37 AM   #26

Winterization

Quote:
Winterizing with anifreeze through the pump does not fill the city water "whole house" filter. If you have drained the system and the whole house filter housing is empty, you should be safe. However, make sure the pre-pump sediment filter is either empty of water or has antifreeze in it.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:47 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
Winterizing with anifreeze through the pump does not fill the city water "whole house" filter. If you have drained the system and the whole house filter housing is empty, you should be safe. However, make sure the pre-pump sediment filter is either empty of water or has antifreeze in it.
This is incorrect. The whole house filter on the Solera (located under the bed in the 24R) is installed after the pump - it filters water from both the city water inlet and from the pump. Drawing antifreeze with the pump will fill the filter assembly.

Dave
DaveJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:04 AM   #28

Retraction

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
It was late last evening when I finished making modifications and winterizing for the first time. in reviewing the pictures i took of the modifications, I saw that the whole house filter was full of antifreeze. It still took less than 3 gallons.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:32 AM   #29

All great comments.
Here is the best of what I heard --
1. fill canister full of pingpong balls or something to take up room -- why waste antifreeze.
2. Remember to empty pre-pump sediment filter -- I would have missed that one, as I have never had a trailer with that.

Thanks ! I will be doing it as early as tonight.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:33 AM   #30

Quote:

Yes, it will, and no, you don't. Remove the filter for winterization. You will empty and flush it out in the spring. Antifreeze is cheap insurance.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:38 AM   #31

One side-note as I put my 2014 24R water heater on bypass...

The previous owner said the power inventer was bad from the factory, so the dealer replaced it. I looked under the sink, under bed, etc. and could not find it. When I removed the water heater panel, there it was. BUT, the J..kA.. that replaced it just let it lay on all the existing wires in the area instead of screw it back to the wall -- mostly wiring from the control panel above the Fridge ! In addition, there is a furnace duct hose going to the rear bedroom, and the corner/weight of the inverter tore the hose open.

All very easily fixed, but all due to a piss poor Dealer repair. They installed a PD9160A. I have to check to see if that is one that has 4-stage battery charging circuitry.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:44 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
Put an empty soda bottle, or ping pong balls, in the filter canister to minimize the amount of antifreeze it will hold...

It wouldn't hurt anything but is a waste of expensive antifreeze to totally fill up the canister...
Expensive Antifreeze ???
Not sure where you are buying your Antifreeze,,,
But I do not consider $2.69 per gal. Expensive !!!
Old 11-03-2015, 12:53 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Expensive Antifreeze ???
Not sure where you are buying your Antifreeze,,,
But I do not consider $2.69 per gal. Expensive !!!
It averages $4.00-$5.00 around gallon here. I recently bought mine at Ace Hardware on sale for $2.49 a gallon.

At any price using around a third of a gallon filling an empty container is a "waste" to me. And it is just more crap to flush out later. I'm cheap and lazy...
Old 11-04-2015, 08:12 AM   #34

Well ok Cheap & Lazy !!!
LOL !!!
Old 11-04-2015, 03:24 PM   #35
Needs Help

I'm winterizing my 24S and have a question. Under the RF below the kitchen sink and by the step, there are red and blue water lines that go straight down and have removable caps. I never read about them before. I suppose I need to open them and make sure antifreeze gets to them. Seems like a bad idea to have water lines below the chassis. They could freeze during sub freezing driving.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:37 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living_The_Dream View Post
I'm winterizing my 24S and have a question. Under the RF below the kitchen sink and by the step, there are red and blue water lines that go straight down and have removable caps. I never read about them before. I suppose I need to open them and make sure antifreeze gets to them. Seems like a bad idea to have water lines below the chassis. They could freeze during sub freezing driving.
Low point drains. Open them up and make sure all the water is out before adding AF.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 03:40 PM   #37
Needs Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Low point drains. Open them up and make sure all the water is out before adding AF.
Makes sense. Thank, headed out to do that right now. Draining tanks as I type.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:44 PM   #38
Needs Help

Opened up those low point drains and all the faucets. Now I am wondering why not just drain and forget. Where would you pressurize from to blow the last remnants out?
Old 11-04-2015, 06:47 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living_The_Dream View Post
Opened up those low point drains and all the faucets. Now I am wondering why not just drain and forget. Where would you pressurize from to blow the last remnants out?
There are adapters available which connect an air hose to the city water inlet, allowing you to blow out the water lines by opening one outlet at a time. Not sure what the correct value is, but air pressure needs to be limited to avoid damaging the plumbing.

Here's a link to an adapter at Camping World:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...out-hose/69232

Dave
DaveJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:06 PM   #40

Forest River Class C MH Owner's Manual says do not exceed 30 psi

Tags
sunseeker, winter, winterize