Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2015, 08:50 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living_The_Dream View Post
Opened up those low point drains and all the faucets. Now I am wondering why not just drain and forget. Where would you pressurize from to blow the last remnants out?
Because opening low point drains & faucets will not completely drain the system,,, Filter canister will probably still be full of water,,, what ever you do make sure that is empty or full of pure antifrezze !!!
If you blow out the system,, you will see how much water is left behind !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:33 AM   #42

Water hides in angles and corners. Shower tubing curve for example. Faucet connections. When it freezes, it expands and can crack those places many of which are hidden behind walls and panels.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:59 PM   #43

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
Forest River Class C MH Owner's Manual says do not exceed 30 psi
Good to know 30psi.
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 01:20 PM   #44

I may have said on this thread that our dealer told us the MBS 2401R does not have low point drains and everything drains into the fresh water tank so that's all they trained. This is actually what they said, but when you think about it, that makes no sense. The sealed water lines do not drain into the tank. So, I was using a creeper to look around under the coach yesterday and found (in addition to the blue drain for the f/w tank) red and blue low point drains underneath the coach at the kitchen sink area between the front entry step and the first passenger side storage compartment. They were thoroughly covered in brown spray insulation foam! They had never been opened since being foamed.

I opened each line and some liquid ran out but it was (or quickly was) pink. Since this was draining out antifreeze I quickly recapped each line after letting a little out in case there was any pure water at the bottom of the drain.

On a related note, I re-checked the water filter canister and it was full of liquid. Using a flashlight, I found the top half was pink and the bottom half was quite clear. It may have been safe but to be sure and on the recommendation of our dealer I removed it, dumped it outside, dried it out especially around the threads (note: which is NOT easy for some reason so a danger area for frozen water drops to crack it) and re-installed it.

I also put a small padlock on that pathetic water heater compartment latch to keep kids from maybe messing with the hardware, losing our drain plug, or squirting something gross into the heater while in storage.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:57 PM   #45
Needs Help

I think I will just blow my system out. May be several weeks before we have a freeze and I will leave the faucets open to let the last of the water vapor escape. While I do see it being somewhat easier to use antifreeze, I feel it will be easier to put back in service without the need to flush the antifreeze.

Last year we used it off and on during the winter, so I just kept propane in it and ran the heater. Not a cheap option, but this way I can put it into service quickly if needed.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:20 PM   #46

I also put a small padlock on that pathetic water heater compartment latch to keep kids from maybe messing with the hardware, losing our drain plug, or squirting something gross into the heater while in storage.[/QUOTE]

Don't think a lock will do much good in the small plastic latch. Won't slow anyone down and you will end up with broken latch as well.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:40 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
I also put a small padlock on that pathetic water heater compartment latch to keep kids from maybe messing with the hardware, losing our drain plug, or squirting something gross into the heater while in storage.
Don't think a lock will do much good in the small plastic latch. Won't slow anyone down and you will end up with broken latch as well.[/QUOTE]

It's a metal latch, not plastic. But I get your point. Almost all the outside compartments are locked (except tank drains and propane), so if they want to break into something they can take their pick.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:46 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
Don't think a lock will do much good in the small plastic latch. Won't slow anyone down and you will end up with broken latch as well.

It's a metal latch, not plastic. But I get your point. Almost all the outside compartments are locked (except tank drains and propane), so if they want to break into something they can take their pick.[/QUOTE]

Funny, mine is plastic. Suburban may be the reason!
Old 11-08-2015, 12:46 AM   #49

Nice new video posted over here:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ad.php?t=96017

Tags
sunseeker, winter, winterize