Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #1

Worrisome odor

2013 Solera S - the first storage compartment to the left of the house door has a very strong odor of solvent. It's not diesel or propane. It clears out when driving, but seems to "fill up" when sitting. I've had the rig since late January, and this condition hasn't changed at all. Two repairs guys have smelled it, said it smelled like solvent, and said "Don't worry," which is easier said than done.

Any idea where this might be coming from, or what it is? May be a leak of some kind, and I worry it's flammable....although the coach hasn't blown up when I turn on the stove or furnace....

Any ideas?
Marionap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
MI Camperz

If you're worried (I would be), take it in for a real test of leaks. I question the validity of a smell test.
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
2018 FR3 30DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionap View Post
2013 Solera S - the first storage compartment to the left of the house door has a very strong odor of solvent. It's not diesel or propane. It clears out when driving, but seems to "fill up" when sitting. I've had the rig since late January, and this condition hasn't changed at all. Two repairs guys have smelled it, said it smelled like solvent, and said "Don't worry," which is easier said than done.

Any idea where this might be coming from, or what it is? May be a leak of some kind, and I worry it's flammable....although the coach hasn't blown up when I turn on the stove or furnace....

Any ideas?
On my 2011 Solera, the door you refer to is where the def tank is. If yours is there, it could be a def leak...however, I think in your year model the def filler is under the hood...is this correct? If your def tank is located in the first door to the left then it may have a leak....otherwise..no help here.
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Marionap's DEF should be under the hood on a 2013.

Is it the black ABS or the gray ABS? Although I'm not sure why one compartment would smell when the others do not.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #5

What do you mean "ABS?" If it's the plastic lining in the compartment, it's gray.

That one compartment is the only one with the smell. Not even a whiff of it anywhere else. It's very strong. It's right under the sink and stove on the outside. The DEF tank is under the hood, as you said, so it's not that.

I thought early on it was just some glue that hadn't dried completely, as that's what it smelled like, but it's been too long now.

I wonder if I should take it to the Mercedes guys, or to the RV guys.

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Yes, plastic. (acrylonitrile butadiene styrene)

Old 04-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #7

Got the exact same smell on my 2013 Solera too. It hasn't gone away and have had my rig since September 2012
Old 04-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #8

For what it's worth, I stopped by an RV show here in Bend, Oregon, and checked out a couple of new Soleras they had on display. BOTH of them had the strong fume smell in the same compartment Antiochrich has reported having and I have in our separate and new Soleras. So, perhaps it is a standard feature in the 2013 Soleras. I will worry less now whether it is a safety issue. Thanks all.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:24 PM   #9
Commercial Member

I'll be there tomorrow to sniff out the issue.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If it is the ABS plastic, the smell will eventually go away. Open the doors and leave open whenever possible. Even a small fan to help circulate the air will help.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #11
win

DEF is Oder less, what you smell is fermelgohiyde , glues, plastics IMHO, please excuse my spelling LOL
win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:48 PM   #12

Met bclemens today in Bend, OR at an RV show here....and together we sniffed the small enclosed compartments noted in this thread on two new Soleras. Both had it. Decided it was in fact the gray plastic liner...that it wasn't dangerous, and that it would eventually go away. Amen. And thank you, Brian!
And thank you all for your input...you helped a lot to alleviate my worry.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Uh oh, my secret identity has been revealed. Now I know how Clark kent feels.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:07 PM   #14

Sorry, Superman!
Old 04-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Uh oh, my secret identity has been revealed. Now I know how Clark kent feels.
Brian, BC, BClemens, Superman. Take your pic. Personally, I like Superman.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote