Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2015, 04:19 AM   #1

2014 vibe 6504 Is it safe to stand on roof

So I've heard that checking the seals on the roof vents and pulling the cover of the air conditioner is a good idea to do yearly. To do that it would seem that I must walk on the roof of the trailer. So is it safe to do that? I'm not a small person either, about 240 lbs. Is there anywhere I should not stand (aside of the bathroom fan vent and skylight of course)?
soniclos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:36 PM   #2

I wish someone would answer this. I'm curious myself.
Toyotadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:57 PM   #3

My answer would be no. The roof is a thin layer of fiberglass with about a 1 1/4 " foam and thin luan plywood wich is your ceiling in the camper. It has cross braces I am guessing about every 30". I am 150 lbs. and I have been up on my roof but I am crawling to spread weight out as much as possible. For someone to walk weighing 200 lbs. or more I would be afraid something might break. I cut a opening in our roof to install a second vent fan and I could see there is not a lot of strength for the roof to support much weight. It is not advertised as a walk on roof so I would not try. I hope this answered your question.
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:28 PM   #4

We own a 272 b h s I am 245 lbs and a master roofer for over 30 years I walk on mine before and after every trip since I have to uncover the rig before and cover it after just use caution when cleaning its easer to leave slide out out and access roof from the slide you can also inspect a great deal just from their with out even getting on the main roof. I usually go up wearing slipper socks and stay in the center. Since these are arched roofs the center is safer when wet. ( while washing ect ect ) like all roofs the less foot traffic the longer it will last but with these rigs it's a must to go up and inspect and clean on a regular bases. Our trip last week in Anderson sc. their was a severe storm witch dropper every pine needle and twig it seemed on our rig .when we were leaving I always clean off the slide before bringing it in and in doing so found several small branches that would have blown off during our trip home but better safe then sorry .

Clancy vibe272bhs
timothy clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:36 PM   #5
Happy Camper

I have researched and found the "rule of thumb" is that if a roof acess ladder was included in the original manufacture of the unit, the roof is considered walk-on safe, normally up to 300 lbs.

I only tip at 180 lbs. but my 2015 Surveyor 321BHTS does not even give a little when I walk on it.
Johntgif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johntgif View Post
I have researched and found the "rule of thumb" is that if a roof acess ladder was included in the original manufacture of the unit, the roof is considered walk-on safe, normally up to 300 lbs.

I only tip at 180 lbs. but my 2015 Surveyor 321BHTS does not even give a little when I walk on it.

This is what my dealer told me also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nights camped 2015....23
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 04:22 AM   #7

The Surveyor and most other trailers have roofs that are constructed different from the Vibes 600 series. They have a flat roof that is fiberglass and no plywood under it to support it only block foam. Best would be to call Forest River and ask how much weight can roof support and if safe to walk on. Then if under warranty and it cracks you will be covered for repairs. But I think for sure Forest River will tell you it is not safe to walk on.
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof, vibe, 2014