Old 02-18-2016, 10:53 PM   #11

Fixes and other stuff

I think the first three of these are WHEN, not IF they are going to happen.

1. Under the 268RKS slide there is a cable that brings power out from under the belly of the trailer and routes it to the front corner of the slide. As far as I can tell, it is the power for the lights over the sofa and dinette. The cable is inside a split plastic cable protector and routed on a flat plastic strap. A spring is connected to the middle of the strap and to the frame further back. This allows the cable to “expand” when the slide moves out and “contract” when the slide is back in. We noticed ours was broken when we were pulling up stakes from Yellowstone. Luckily my son saw the cable hanging down by the tires. I used some plastic cable ties to hold it up until the next stop. The plastic strap had broken where it connects to the slide. I took the self-tapping screws out and put them back in past the break. This held until we got home. But when I inspected it, the strap was already cracked again by the screws and almost broken through where the spring connects. To fix it, I cut the strap off near the swivel post. (At this point you should disconnect shore power and battery.) I cut the cable at the outside of the slide (leave enough to splice), used a piece of flexible conduit (Shop CARLON Ent 10-ft Conduit (Common: 3/4-in; Actual: .75-in) at Lowes.com) and some conduit straps (Shop Gampak 4-Pack 3/4-in EMT Strap at Lowes.com) to run the wire through and mount it back in place. I used plastic cable ties to attach the spring to the conduit. I filled the ends of the conduit with silicone sealant. Works fine, should last a long time. I’ll never figure out why FR used this setup when it can be done correctly for less than $5.00. I did not take it in for a warranty fix because the only thing my dealer could do is order the same parts from FR and I know a new strap would break again.

2. When towing, I could see the section of aluminum between the tires on the roadside flapping in the breeze. There were two causes for this. One is the brace for that section had broken and the second is screws backing out. I fixed the brace with a piece of 1” aluminum stock that I had and for the screws I started installing U-clips on the back of all screws. They are what I had, but I have since ordered some flat speed nuts to put on all of those screws ( Robot Check). The screws are going through two thin pieces of sheet metal and after time the work themselves loose. I found a few places where they were gone. When talking to the FR Rep at an RV show a couple weeks ago, I told him about this and wouldn’t you know, the 2016 268RKS there had a couple screws backing out.

3. Maybe it just the Alabama heat, but the molding around the wheel wells would not stay in place. I used some self-tapping screws to secure them. Couldn’t find black screws, so a bit of Rustoleum and a small paint brush took care of that.

4. I got a tool provided with the trailer to manually extend/retract the slide and the stabilizers. It is not the correct tool, so I made my own. I used an old 3/8” drive, ½” deep well socket and cut slits in the sides to allow it to go over the post with the pin staying in the slit. I had an extra-long extension to use on the slide. There is not room to use the extension on the stabilizers. I can use an electric drill or a ratchet for either.

5. I don’t know if this was a manufacturing defect of if it happened through use, but the top edges of the roof on my slide had small nicks in the rubber. I used Gorilla glue to attach some clear vinyl sheet rock corner guards along the entire edge (Shop Miller LLC 48-in Toeless Vinyl Corner Guards at Lowes.com).

6. The first time we tried to use the dinette as a bed, the table was too small and fell to the floor. I checked with my dealer and they had not heard of it, but we looked at a newer RKS on the lot and instead of one strip of particle board on each bench the new one had two. They would have ordered the parts for me, but it would be the same particle board strips – no thanks. I had some exterior door molding that is about 2” wide on top and tapers, removed the particle board and installed it on both sides.

7. Just in case it happens to you, find out now where the fuse is for the power tongue jack. Mine has blown twice. It is an in-line 30 amp blade fuse. It is on the inside of the roadside frame on the red wire, about 3 feet back from the tongue.

8. For those that like sewing, you can take 2 standard 27” x 52” towels (Walmart Specials), sew them together on 3 sides like a pillow case and they fit perfectly over the bottom dinette cushions. Don't stick to you and easy to take off and wash. The same size towels folded in about 11” on each side and sewn along one edge make good back covers for the recliners. (This is DWs tip.)

That’s enough posting for me. I will go back into lurk mode now.

AL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01-Under Slide Wire1.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	328.1 KB
ID:	99885   Click image for larger version

Name:	02-Under Slide Wire2.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	329.1 KB
ID:	99886   Click image for larger version

Name:	03-Under Slide Wire3.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	99887   Click image for larger version

Name:	04-Under Slide Support.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	352.9 KB
ID:	99888   Click image for larger version

Name:	05-Loose Screw.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	99889  

Name:	06-Screw Backs.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	288.9 KB
ID:	99890   Click image for larger version

Name:	07-Wheel Wells.jpg
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	99891   Click image for larger version

Name:	08-Slide-Stabilizer Tool.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	352.3 KB
ID:	99892   Click image for larger version

Name:	09-Dinette.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	278.6 KB
ID:	99893   Click image for larger version

Name:	10-JACK FUSE.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	99894  

1997 F-350 CC PSD
BigHomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:04 PM   #12

BigHomey-
Thank you for all the great info- gives my husband and I lots to watch out for when we take delivery of our 268rks in about a month!

Take care,
Cyndi

Old 02-20-2016, 03:29 PM   #13

under slide out cable support poor design

I've gone through 2 of the plastic cable supports, they seem to have a life span of about 8 open / closings before the cheap plastic breaks at the anchor point. My fix for that was I attached a 3" gate hinge on the end of the plastic support then attach the hinge to the original anchor point on the slide. Now when opening /closing the hinge just folds taking the stress off the plastic support and no more breaking! Really a poor design by FR. You just can't keep flexing plastic back and forth without it eventually cracking.
Old 02-20-2016, 03:35 PM   #14

." The first time we tried to use the dinette as a bed, the table was too small and fell to the floor. I checked with my dealer and they had not heard of it, but we looked at a newer RKS on the lot and instead of one strip of particle board on each bench the new one had two. They would have ordered the parts for me, but it would be the same particle board strips – no thanks. I had some exterior door molding that is about 2” wide on top and tapers, removed the particle board and installed it on both sides "

I didn't know the dinette was supposed to be used as a bed!?
Old 02-20-2016, 03:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHomey View Post
I think the first three of these are WHEN, not IF they are going to happen.

1. Under the 268RKS slide there is a cable that brings power out from under the belly of the trailer and routes it to the front corner of the slide. As far as I can tell, it is the power for the lights over the sofa and dinette. The cable is inside a split plastic cable protector and routed on a flat plastic strap. A spring is connected to the middle of the strap and to the frame further back. This allows the cable to “expand” when the slide moves out and “contract” when the slide is back in. We noticed ours was broken when we were pulling up stakes from Yellowstone. Luckily my son saw the cable hanging down by the tires. I used some plastic cable ties to hold it up until the next stop. The plastic strap had broken where it connects to the slide. I took the self-tapping screws out and put them back in past the break. This held until we got home. But when I inspected it, the strap was already cracked again by the screws and almost broken through where the spring connects. To fix it, I cut the strap off near the swivel post. (At this point you should disconnect shore power and battery.) I cut the cable at the outside of the slide (leave enough to splice), used a piece of flexible conduit (Shop CARLON Ent 10-ft Conduit (Common: 3/4-in; Actual: .75-in) at Lowes.com) and some conduit straps (Shop Gampak 4-Pack 3/4-in EMT Strap at Lowes.com) to run the wire through and mount it back in place. I used plastic cable ties to attach the spring to the conduit. I filled the ends of the conduit with silicone sealant. Works fine, should last a long time. I’ll never figure out why FR used this setup when it can be done correctly for less than $5.00. I did not take it in for a warranty fix because the only thing my dealer could do is order the same parts from FR and I know a new strap would break again.

2. When towing, I could see the section of aluminum between the tires on the roadside flapping in the breeze. There were two causes for this. One is the brace for that section had broken and the second is screws backing out. I fixed the brace with a piece of 1” aluminum stock that I had and for the screws I started installing U-clips on the back of all screws. They are what I had, but I have since ordered some flat speed nuts to put on all of those screws ( Robot Check). The screws are going through two thin pieces of sheet metal and after time the work themselves loose. I found a few places where they were gone. When talking to the FR Rep at an RV show a couple weeks ago, I told him about this and wouldn’t you know, the 2016 268RKS there had a couple screws backing out.

3. Maybe it just the Alabama heat, but the molding around the wheel wells would not stay in place. I used some self-tapping screws to secure them. Couldn’t find black screws, so a bit of Rustoleum and a small paint brush took care of that.

4. I got a tool provided with the trailer to manually extend/retract the slide and the stabilizers. It is not the correct tool, so I made my own. I used an old 3/8” drive, ½” deep well socket and cut slits in the sides to allow it to go over the post with the pin staying in the slit. I had an extra-long extension to use on the slide. There is not room to use the extension on the stabilizers. I can use an electric drill or a ratchet for either.

5. I don’t know if this was a manufacturing defect of if it happened through use, but the top edges of the roof on my slide had small nicks in the rubber. I used Gorilla glue to attach some clear vinyl sheet rock corner guards along the entire edge (Shop Miller LLC 48-in Toeless Vinyl Corner Guards at Lowes.com).

6. The first time we tried to use the dinette as a bed, the table was too small and fell to the floor. I checked with my dealer and they had not heard of it, but we looked at a newer RKS on the lot and instead of one strip of particle board on each bench the new one had two. They would have ordered the parts for me, but it would be the same particle board strips – no thanks. I had some exterior door molding that is about 2” wide on top and tapers, removed the particle board and installed it on both sides.

7. Just in case it happens to you, find out now where the fuse is for the power tongue jack. Mine has blown twice. It is an in-line 30 amp blade fuse. It is on the inside of the roadside frame on the red wire, about 3 feet back from the tongue.

8. For those that like sewing, you can take 2 standard 27” x 52” towels (Walmart Specials), sew them together on 3 sides like a pillow case and they fit perfectly over the bottom dinette cushions. Don't stick to you and easy to take off and wash. The same size towels folded in about 11” on each side and sewn along one edge make good back covers for the recliners. (This is DWs tip.)

That’s enough posting for me. I will go back into lurk mode now.

AL
Yep... I've had most of these issues also... I'll check the roof and look at the dining table too! As far as the tongue jack goes, my dealer has slightly bent the pole (can't prove it) with his forklift and puts a bind the electric motor. I can see the metal to metal rub. It's not too bad, but glad to learn about the fuse.
Question... How much water do you have to put in your fresh water tank before the pump will pick any up? With my trailer level, it's aprox 7.5 gallons on my 268RKS!
Old 02-20-2016, 07:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wz3mo View Post

I didn't know the dinette was supposed to be used as a bed!?
I think most if not all RV dinettes are designed to be used as extra sleeping areas. Probably not for adults, but it works good for kids. The 268RKS brochure says it sleeps 5. I don't know what the configuration would be.
1997 F-350 CC PSD
Old 02-20-2016, 07:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewcasa View Post
Yep... I've had most of these issues also... I'll check the roof and look at the dining table too! As far as the tongue jack goes, my dealer has slightly bent the pole (can't prove it) with his forklift and puts a bind the electric motor. I can see the metal to metal rub. It's not too bad, but glad to learn about the fuse.
Question... How much water do you have to put in your fresh water tank before the pump will pick any up? With my trailer level, it's aprox 7.5 gallons on my 268RKS!
I haven't done any tests on the fresh water tank. If we are going a long distance, I will fill it up. If it is a short trip I don't fill it at all. We have not yet done any boon-docking, but I will probably need to find out before we do.
1997 F-350 CC PSD
Old 02-22-2016, 11:04 AM   #18

If your power awning ever quits, look behind the black plastic strip that the awning folds into on the outside wall of the trailer. Mine quit the weekend that we picked the trailer up from the selling dealer... They had no idea what was wrong. I manually folded it up (there is a rubber plug on the end motor cap of the awing that you can access with a cordless drill and a socket). You will need either a ladder, or I backed up my pickup truck and stood in the box.
What I found is that the crimp plastic connectors behind the plastic cover had come loose, thus no 12 v power to the awning motor. Repaired now, and rerouted/cleaned up ALL of the wiring behind that cover. I used red sheathing tape to secure the wiring neatly behind the panel before putting it back together.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2015-05-20 12.06.49.jpg
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	100152   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-05-20 12.06.52.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	100153  
Old 03-12-2016, 11:11 AM   #19
L J

So to any of you 2015 Vibe 268RKS owners, maybe others to, I have been having trouble with the Electric Stabilizing Jack switches? LCI made mine and both have been replaced in less
than a year. Now the forward one needs replacing again. It is the rocker part and not the power to it. I always have the remote to use but really the switches should function longer then they have. Just went out of warranty 02-17. E-mailed LCI about and they got back to me, wanted more info & pics (a good thing I hope). Just sad you pay that much money and you get plenty to fix on your own.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:14 PM   #20

LJ - I have not had any problems with my stabilizer switches and I have used them quite a lot. But I have had my power tongue jack fuse blow a few times for no apparent reason, so I keep a few spare 30 amp fuses. - AL

1997 F-350 CC PSD

Tags
vibe