Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2016, 09:04 PM   #1

Post 2016 Vibe 286rks slide out

I was wondering if anyone knew how to manually open/close the slide out? Where do I find the motor or gearbox and what special tool do I need? Thanks in advance.
Tamdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:52 PM   #2

If the 2016 is the same as the 2015, there is a hole in the fender between the steps and the front tire to give access to manually open/close the slide. There is a geared shaft with a pin through the end of it. The picture below shows the tool that came with mine (in front), but I could not figure out what to do with it. The dealer said that is what FR sent with the Vibe??? I made a tool (back one) from an old deep well 1/2" drive socket (used a cutoff tool to put slots down the sides) and a long extension from Harbor Freight. This way I could use it with a cordless impact driver to open/close the slide if it lost power. The socket can also be used on the stabilizers if they lost power. You would use the socket only on the drivers side end of the stabilizer mechanism.

Somewhere I read that you are supposed to disconnect the power connections to the motors before manually operating them. This is supposed to prevent damage to the motor. I made the tool to take along for insurance, tested its operation but never had to use it because of a failure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	08-Slide-Stabilizer Tool.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	352.3 KB
ID:	125535
1997 F-350 CC PSD
BigHomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:25 AM   #3

Thanks for the information. I will look for it and let you know.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:47 PM   #4

My 2016 286rks didn't come with the manual hand crank. My dealer had to order one for me, dealer said for some reason FR wasn't putting them with the units. The access hole on my Vibe was off about 14" from lining up with the slideout motor. I drilled a new hole and plugged the old one. On the 2016 the hole location is to the left of the steps under the kitchen window. Just make sure it's lined up correctly :-)
wz3mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 11:14 AM   #5

Appreciate the info. Will have to have dealer order tool.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamdar View Post
Appreciate the info. Will have to have dealer order tool.
By the way the tool was no charge from FR so don't let your dealer charge you for it.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:44 PM   #7

I was told I had to buy the tool. The one the dealer had in stock was too big for the hole, ordered a nice one online. The hole was 2" off, had the dealer drill a new one and plug the hole, but Fun Town screwed up that simple task too!

It doesn't matter about the electrical connection, just don't operate it electrically when you are manually moving the slide.

The tool I got with my TT ended up being the manual crank for the electric tongue jack.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewcasa View Post
I was told I had to buy the tool. The one the dealer had in stock was too big for the hole, ordered a nice one online. The hole was 2" off, had the dealer drill a new one and plug the hole, but Fun Town screwed up that simple task too!

It doesn't matter about the electrical connection, just don't operate it electrically when you are manually moving the slide.

The tool I got with my TT ended up being the manual crank for the electric tongue jack.
Yes, mine came with the crank for the tongue jack also. My dealer said for some reason FR forgot to include the slideout manual crank with their orders of 286rks units. The dealer called FR and got a large shipment of the cranks and had us buyers come by and pick one up...at NO CHARGE! As they were supposed to be included.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wz3mo View Post
Yes, mine came with the crank for the tongue jack also. My dealer said for some reason FR forgot to include the slideout manual crank with their orders of 286rks units. The dealer called FR and got a large shipment of the cranks and had us buyers come by and pick one up...at NO CHARGE! As they were supposed to be included.
I'll chalk my loss up to sorry RV Dealer I purchased my TT from! The farther I stay away from them, the healthier my mental health!
Mewcasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out, vibe