Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2016, 09:41 AM   #1

268 RKS Furnace shuts off after 15 seconds

Brand new 268 RKS. Turn on furnace, fan on auto, blower comes on then shuts off after 15 seconds and doesn't ignite or heat. What could be issue?
RyanAyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:46 AM   #2

sounds to me like the sail switch is not working, thats the part that feels airflow and tells the ignition and gas to start.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:52 AM   #3

If that is not working will that shut the blower off after 15 seconds?
Old 11-06-2016, 10:14 AM   #4
Site Team

Was the furnace demoed during PDI, Did it light an get warm?

If the furnace has not been run, there could be air in the lines and it may take several times to light. ( need to purge the air) . Also there is a safety feature built in that if the furnace does not light after several tries, it shuts the furnace down. If you had several failed attempts, Do the following
1.Using either battery shutoff or furnace fuse remove power from the furnace circuit.
2. Wait 1-2 minutes.
3 Reconnect power and try again.

The fan should start and run for about 15-30 seconds, then you should hear the a clicking noise (outside) as it tries to ignite the flame. You should have heat shortly after.

If this is the first time you are using furnace, I suggest you open all windows, set thermostat to about 80 and run the furnace for about 30 minutes or so. You need to burn off the oils that remain on the metal parts from manufacturing. Expect some minor smoke and odor both of which should subside quickly. Not hazardous, but unpleasant if you are closed up inside.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:40 AM   #5

Just turned off shore power and disconnected battery and let it sit for a few minutes. Turned it all back on and same thing. Blower turns on for about 15 second and shuts off. NO clicking to ignite. The water heater turns on auto no problem, has been keeping water hot since yesterday.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:42 PM   #6

Light stove and let run for a few min. then try furnace again. Just a guess
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 01:47 PM   #7
7 Year Class A RV'er

If then fan is running and the sail switch is operating, it should stay on. However, there is also a sensor that verifies ignition. If you don't have ignition in a preset time, it shuts off everything so you don't flood the compartment with gas. Have you checked the burner for blockage from insects? Alos check the ignition wiring.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:19 PM   #8

I have not check anything. I was out camping and do not have the square bit to take out the panel under fridge to get to it. But yes fan comes on for about 15 seconds and then stops I do not hear any clicks or ignition at all.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:44 PM   #9
RVdoctor

furnace shuts off after 15 seconds

Since there is no spark at all first check to make sure power is coming from sail switch. Should be a wire (usually white) coming from inside the blower housing. If 12 VDC is good there then unplug wiring harness at the circuit board and making sure connections are good and clean. Check ignitor wire connection at circuit board and ignitor. If all is good then have circuit board tested with a special tester available at most RV repair places. Good luck.
rvdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 03:57 PM   #10

Welcome to the club of cold camping. If its a Suburban, there is a likelihood that its the circuit board. Mine worked fine during the PDI and once after that on my new Rockwood. Next spring I'll take it in.
Less is More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 04:05 PM   #11

Hi sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your new TT. Is the TT still under warranty? If it is call dealer and see if they can help. If the sail switch was stuck in the no air flow position the furnace would shut down after 15 sec and would not try to light or open the gas valve. Are all the floor vents open to provide full air flow through the furnace? Are you at a high altitude when you operate the furnace? This has been a problem on other posts the thin air will not make enough air flow to push the air sail switch over to make the micro switch to make contact and start the gas ignition. From what you have described the air flow switch is not making and shutting the furnace off on the safety. If this is the first time the furnace was asked to operate there could be air in the gas line and may take several try's to remove the air. If the furnace dose not light for any reason it will go into a lock out condition for safety reasons. To reset the furnace all you need to do is turn the furnace off position at the thermostat for about 10 seconds. This will remove the 12v to the furnace control board and release the lock out relay on the control board. Below is link to the suburban furnace found in the library at the top of this page.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...?do=file&id=37

Hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:46 PM   #12

Furnace

Just bought new 5th whhell last month. Same thing happened to us. Solution was shut thermostat off water 2 minutes. Set for heat. Same thing blower shut off after 15 seconds. Did this 5 times and on the 6th it stayed on warm and toasty. Gotta remember air is in propane lines so need to purge that gas out. By turning thermostat on and off that purged the line..as i recall last year each and every time i ran my furnace on the other RV had to repeat these steps each and every time. Should work fine
justpassinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:55 PM   #13

I hate to ask!

I am asking this question BECAUSE the same thing happened to me. Have you checked to make sure the propane valve is turned on at the tank?
Single Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:34 PM   #14
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Single Traveler View Post
I am asking this question BECAUSE the same thing happened to me. Have you checked to make sure the propane valve is turned on at the tank?
The OP mentioned in post # 5 that the propane water heater works just fine. Propane is on.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
The OP mentioned in post # 5 that the propane water heater works just fine. Propane is on.
Actually, Post #5 doesn't state that the water heater is using propane vs. electric to heat the water. I thought my water heater was running on propane but was actually heating the water using electric.
Single Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:38 PM   #16

I had a problem with similar symptoms recently and it turned out to be a limit switch. I was expecting the sail switch but it was fine. Easy fix (once I removed the heater) and the part was only about $10 on amazon. Good luck!
2013 Flagstaff 8528IKWS 5er (Sold)
B&W Companion Slider (Sold)
wdw0528 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace