Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2016, 10:47 AM   #1

268rks Slide too close to rear and pinching gasket

I noticed a slight catching sound when retracting the slide and noticed the outside gasket on the aft end is being pinched very tight, while the gasket on the forward side has plenty of clearance to flex freely when extending and retracting the slide. The slide is so close to the aft side of the slide opening that the gasket isn't able to flex in and out freely when moving the slide. I am certain the gasket will eventually tear. Anyone experienced this and any thoughts before I take it in for warranty service? I hate for them to make it worse trying to adjust the slide position back to center-point.

Kennesaw, Georgia
Toolman_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:27 AM   #2
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
I'd adjust the slide myself.....most have slotted holes out at the slide
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman_GA View Post
I noticed a slight catching sound when retracting the slide and noticed the outside gasket on the aft end is being pinched very tight, while the gasket on the forward side has plenty of clearance to flex freely when extending and retracting the slide. The slide is so close to the aft side of the slide opening that the gasket isn't able to flex in and out freely when moving the slide. I am certain the gasket will eventually tear. Anyone experienced this and any thoughts before I take it in for warranty service? I hate for them to make it worse trying to adjust the slide position back to center-point.
I had the same issue. The slide out frame wasn't square and kept tearing the seal, dealer replaced the seal and adjusted the slide as far as they could but it was still too tight at the top right corner. They called FR techs and was advised on how to correct it, your not going to like this! They had to disassemble the interior frame of the slide to get it correctly squared, they had my 268RKS for a month! But, it's all good now. Hope yours can be adjusted without the major fix. Good luck.
wz3mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:47 AM   #4

Ouch, thanks.

Kennesaw, Georgia
Old 10-24-2016, 08:51 AM   #5

I checked again and I have exact same symptom you described, pinching the top right outside corner of the slide opening - basically out of square. wx3mo, I sent you a private message to see if you wouldn't mind sharing the dealer/warranty details so I can maybe use this information to help my dealer be successful.

thank you
Old 10-24-2016, 08:53 AM   #6
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
To pm, click on that person's avatar.....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman_GA View Post
I checked again and I have exact same symptom you described, pinching the top right outside corner of the slide opening - basically out of square. wx3mo, I sent you a private message to see if you wouldn't mind sharing the dealer/warranty details so I can maybe use this information to help my dealer be successful.

thank you
Steve,
PM sent
Cheers
Wyatt
wz3mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:18 AM   #8

Would you please post a picture of the problem area you mentioned? We have the same model TT, a 2015, and I want to check the gasket, but I'm a visual learner. Thanks very much!
theroadbeckons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:56 AM   #9

I don't have a picture, but if you extend your slide out and go to the rear on the outside, you will see a gasket that runs all the way up with a flap that drags across the slide body to maintain a seal. Mine was so tight up along the rear side that the flap hacker could not freely shift in and out as the slide moves; it was being pinched and twisted. The first clue is a lot of rubbing and squeaking noise when moving the slide.

Kennesaw, Georgia

Tags
gas, slide