Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2014, 10:59 PM   #1

Axle issue?

Sorry for this to be my first post. I've read a lot on this forum in the last 2 years what little there is on v crosses anyways. I noticed today that the inner walls on all 4 of my tires are completely balled. It's a 2012 and from reading about the wear I'm now convinced I have an axle problem. We maybe have put 2000 miles on our trailer and have a dry weight of 6600 lbs. axles rated for 3500 lbs each. Gvwr is 7700 lbs. it appears to me these are under sized for my trailer. We pack very light, just the essentials. Anyone else have similar problems?
Petterml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:56 AM   #2

I had a 2013 Wildwood trailer where the rear axle was not aligned with frame properly. Axle hangers were not welded on correctly. Here is how to check if they are square to frame
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 0088.pdf (508.9 KB, 180 views)
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:01 AM   #3
Mod free 5er

I would also check that the bearings are tight just to eliminate the possibility of them all being loose.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:09 AM   #4
Old Enough to Know Better

Look at the axle itself, If it is bowed up in the middle it good, bowed down an issue.
I went thru this on my V-Cross and was pretty must told I overloaded it and Lippert and Forest river couldn't help me out. I thought about upgrading to heavier axles but ended up trading for a fiver.
Good Luck
gasman6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman6674 View Post
Look at the axle itself, If it is bowed up in the middle it good, bowed down an issue.
I went thru this on my V-Cross and was pretty must told I overloaded it and Lippert and Forest river couldn't help me out. I thought about upgrading to heavier axles but ended up trading for a fiver.
Good Luck
I checked my axles last night, they are bowed up so I guess that's good. If my axles are ok, what could have caused my inner tire wear? I also noticed that my 4 tires are rated for 7040 pounds, GVWR of the trailer is roughly 7750. I know there is tongue weight too, but still seems to me that Forest River could have done a better job at giving a little wiggle room at least for the tires on weight.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #6
Old Enough to Know Better

Could be loose bearing could be cheap tires could be alignment. I don't know but hopefully someone else will chime in. You might start with the simple stuff and check for wiggle as old coot suggested. Then have the alignment checked.
Good Luck
gasman6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:09 PM   #7

Well just to update. I finally got my trailer into an axle shop this spring. On Friday I got the dreaded news, I need new axles, they're so bad they won't even let me drive it off the lot without fixing or having someone tow it. Exact quote from the mechanic "these axles should NEVER have been put on a trailer of this size". Forest River has not responded to emails or voicemails since last fall so they for sure aren't going to address this issue. Just sucks to have axle issues within 2 years of spending 20 grand on a new trailer only to find out that no matter what I did that I would have axle problems. We only go for weekend trips, so just clothes, food in the fridge, coleman grill, and fold up chairs are what we travel with, no way that should overload it.

My only hope is the dealer now, they're going to call me tomorrow to discuss.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petterml View Post
Well just to update. I finally got my trailer into an axle shop this spring. On Friday I got the dreaded news, I need new axles, they're so bad they won't even let me drive it off the lot without fixing or having someone tow it. Exact quote from the mechanic "these axles should NEVER have been put on a trailer of this size". Forest River has not responded to emails or voicemails since last fall so they for sure aren't going to address this issue. Just sucks to have axle issues within 2 years of spending 20 grand on a new trailer only to find out that no matter what I did that I would have axle problems. We only go for weekend trips, so just clothes, food in the fridge, coleman grill, and fold up chairs are what we travel with, no way that should overload it.

Well I got great news today, not from Forest River (they never would respond to emails or to voicemails as I left at least 10 of each to multiple people) or from the dealer, but from Lippert Components. I sent them pictures of my axles and springs today and they called me back within an hour and said that the axles were bent so bad that even though I'm out of warranty that they feel they have to do something.

They're sending me new axles, new springs, paying for most of my new tire cost and 3 hours of labor for those axles. I couldn't be happier right now and more disappointed in forest river at the same time for not responsing to anything.

If you experience the same issues, try contacting Lippert, they were great to work with actually.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:40 PM   #9

I too had a bent axle on our Vibe and Lippert replaced it with no problem. With both of our experiences with Lippert we could agree they have been a great company.
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:22 PM   #10

We have a 2014 Wildwood 19bh only used 1 time to camp in Yellowstone, once we returned the tires are worn bad on the inside only took it back to the dealer as they have determined the axle installed was a 3500 lb axle with a approx dry weight of 3190 doesn't leave any room for water or ? Has anyone else experienced this and what should I expect, factory and Lippert have been pointing fingers for 3 weeks, i just want my TT back. I would even be happy with a factory buy back and would trade for a TT that comes from the factory with the proper axle to carry more than 310 lbs before I was overweight on the axle and damage it possibly causing harm to me or my family. Big saftey issue.
kaydeediesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydeediesel View Post
We have a 2014 Wildwood 19bh only used 1 time to camp in Yellowstone, once we returned the tires are worn bad on the inside only took it back to the dealer as they have determined the axle installed was a 3500 lb axle with a approx dry weight of 3190 doesn't leave any room for water or ? Has anyone else experienced this and what should I expect, factory and Lippert have been pointing fingers for 3 weeks, i just want my TT back. I would even be happy with a factory buy back and would trade for a TT that comes from the factory with the proper axle to carry more than 310 lbs before I was overweight on the axle and damage it possibly causing harm to me or my family. Big saftey issue.
This sounds right to me, trailer is 3190 dry, 400 lb hitch weight, so that makes it 2790 to the axle, leaving about 700 ccc. I dont see the issue?

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:24 PM   #12

Quote:
I think you are missing the weight that the hitch will transfer to your TV. You have more 310 lbs then. But I'm surely no weight expert. I have 4000 Lb axles and my dry weight is twice or more of yours. Is your unit single or double axles? Hate to here your worried about using it. Did only one side wear bad? They always point fingers but stay on them if they find the axle was the wrong size they will take care of it. The next size up would be 4000lbs.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:03 PM   #13

I too am not a axle expert, guess i did not consider the weight transfered to tow vehicle but also know when it's parked there is no tow vehicle (however some weight is transfered to the 2 stablizer jacks and hitch) but even then 30 lbs of water is 240, plus propane tanks, plus 3 adults approx 600lbs, plus luggage have no idea what that and battery weighs. Looking at that why would would they skip and cut it so close? 3190 dry weight plus approx 1000 lbs of stuff equals 4190 lbs... even with a 4000 lb axle it's close. Dealership is challenging Forest River as Lippert is claiming no fault based on dry weight of camper and xtras exceeds axle limit. Just frustrated because it has been 4 weeks and still no determination of who will pay claim...and i still have no camper.
kaydeediesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:20 PM   #14

Quote:
I too am not a axle expert, guess i did not consider the weight transfered to tow vehicle but also know when it's parked there is no tow vehicle (however some weight is transfered to the 2 stablizer jacks and hitch) but even then 30 lbs of water is 240, plus propane tanks, plus 3 adults approx 600lbs, plus luggage have no idea what that and battery weighs. Looking at that why would would they skip and cut it so close? 3190 dry weight plus approx 1000 lbs of stuff equals 4190 lbs... even with a 4000 lb axle it's close. Dealership is challenging Forest River as Lippert is claiming no fault based on dry weight of camper and xtras exceeds axle limit. Just frustrated because it has been 4 weeks and still no determination of who will pay claim...and i still have no camper.
I understand, When I'm sitting with out being hooked up I weight a lot more. Have you ever went to the cat scale. and weight your trailer loaded and then your TV and the then the combination GW? That will give you alot of info. I know that my TV picks up 1670 lbs from the trailer. when I bought mine I had about 300 lbs per axle only to. That worried me the same way. But your tire wore on the inside on one only, they could say you over laoded that side so you know. That's always the first thing they say but it sounds like it might be an alignment problem it could just be off 1/4 " to do that. I would get a hold of lippert myself and forget FR. You might have a better chance. They are really not bad to work with. It's the pits when you pay out that cash and can't use it. Also tell them that. Lippert delv. the frame with the axle installed already. So really it becomes there problem. Good Luck and I hope you get it resolved soon being it's camping season now..... Your problem is very common on this forum and they mostly work out. By the way what tires do you have. Those are real garbage that come with them. You know that to increase the size to 4000 from 3500 lb to them is like 200.00 bucks. Makes you scratch your head and say why as you have.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:13 PM   #15

We put 300 miles on our new 195bh and noticed the inside of the tires we 1/2 worn already. Took it to the dealer and they said the problem was the cheap bias tire from the factory, and to put radial tires on it. Have not done it yet, so I can't day if it works better.....sorry
Wa11y757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:36 PM   #16

The problem I have with the oem useing marginal tires is that there is NO reserve capacity. If you have a flat,all of a sudden the remaining tire is carrying ALL the wieght on that side,a serious overload that will surely bite you in the butt at a later date. The other thing is that if there is a 5 % saftey margine when new,every year or mile degrades that saftey factor ubtill after 2 yrs, the saftey factor is WAY upside down. Do yourself and your family a big favor and upgrade 1 LR right from day one. Start out with a 25% or more overload factor,keep the speed below 65 mph, and the inflation at max reccomended and you wont have these problems.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:38 PM   #17

Quote:

I'm just saying what it is advertised as, even on the website. Mine is the same way dual axles at 3.5k. You have to account to the TW and that is how they figure putting those axles on. The liability falls on the consumer to understand the published weights and load accordingly. There is a sticker on you camper and it specifically states the ccc. I've been through all this and you really have to dig into the components and get it weighed to figure out where you are at.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petterml View Post

I too have found a similar issue with axles failure due to no safety margin in the weight rating of the OEM specificed axles. Forest River has been returning my emails, however, they are claiming I am overloading the trailer. Given all my trips tend to be weekends (the "big" trips are up to 5 days), all of the heavy gear is in the truck (tools, firewood, etc.), is it doubtful I'm overloaded. And argh, the trailer has been in the shop waiting 3 weeks now for axles...
Surveyor4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:14 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor4 View Post
I too have found a similar issue with axles failure due to no safety margin in the weight rating of the OEM specificed axles. Forest River has been returning my emails, however, they are claiming I am overloading the trailer. Given all my trips tend to be weekends (the "big" trips are up to 5 days), all of the heavy gear is in the truck (tools, firewood, etc.), is it doubtful I'm overloaded. And argh, the trailer has been in the shop waiting 3 weeks now for axles...
What is the axle doing? You say it is doubtful you are overloading, what is your weights? have you even gotten it weighed? I hope you get it figured out!

Old 07-13-2015, 08:49 AM   #20

I have not weighed the trailer, but I have weighed all the items I put in it and came up with 568 lbs (including everything from food to soap to underwear). The GVWR for the trailer is 5386 lbs (according to OEM placards on the unit), and the dry weight of the RV is 3596 lbs (according to OEM placards on the unit). Assuming full water (another 360 lbs) and full propane (63 lbs), I should have about 800 lbs of "spare" cargo capacity.

So it seems weird that I "overloaded" it. Lippert (axle OEM) has been quite responsive on technical support, and I've sent them some photos of the damage. Forest River has been a bit slower, but they keep telling me it was the result of overloading. Argh, so frustrating to have the RV in the shop in the short Canadian camping season.
Surveyor4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle