Old 11-02-2012, 07:07 PM   #21
B47

OK - that sounds better. FWIW our Silverback FW battery disconnect switch is located in the water servicing compartment on a panel wall. It is a red key that fits into a receptable and the key must be in the "off" position in order to be removed.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:34 AM   #22

Just got home last night from our 7 day trip; the battery disconnect works great now. I was disconnecting (by mistake) at the campsite on the previous trip and the battery didn't get that full deep charge. This trip I didn't mess with the disconnect during the trip and now everything works, including my power jack...... I disconnected last night once we got home so I have power today to store the trailer. I figure if I disconnect that'll save the battery and it'll be ready in 3 weeks for our Thanksgiving Weekend trip.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #23

What is the purpose of this quick disconnect switch , sorry Im new to this and trying to work out issues with my new camper. thanks
Old 12-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #24
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoel View Post
What is the purpose of this quick disconnect switch , sorry Im new to this and trying to work out issues with my new camper. thanks
When sitting idle, there are small drains on the battery (radio power, CO detectors, propane detectors, etc) that will leach away at your battery until it dies. For instance, my Sabre will deplete my battery within a week without disconnecting it.

Deep cycle batteries lives get shortened the more they're fully discharged.

So, the battery disconnect switch does just that - it disconnects it so that the system doesn't draw it down when you're not using the camper.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #25
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Keeps battery from being drained to zero that the on board electrics continually draw from your battery.
Now, otherwise without a disconnect, you'd have to either manually unhook the battery cables or hook up a trickle charger.

Otherwise, after about a week sitting, battery will be drained and now you have to deep charge the battery before you head out camping (BTW, though deep cycle batteries can handle being drained to low levels it's not recommended...thus battery disconnect helps with this).
Old 12-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #26

Our new Rockwood 8244WS came from the factory with a battery disconnect switch installed. It was built in September 2012. Just found it.

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L

RalphieAdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #27

I was just currious I have one on our 2010 Cardinal 3625 . Im learning had to replace the battery today.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:18 PM   #28
Denver, CO

We just picked up our new 275 VRL and like was said, it does not have a disconnect. It also has a huge battery compartment a small battery and small door. I ordered a 19in by 20in door for it, put it in and put a couple of 6 volt deep cycles in there, which I had from my trade in. Now I have lots of power. I also ordered a batt disconnect and will put that in this weekend. The battery disconnect is an essential piece of gear, IMHO. It allows you to rest the battery without any current draw, which is better than a small draw or even plugged in on float charge all the time.

Garbonz
Old 01-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #29
B47

Quote:
I was just currious I have one on our 2010 Cardinal 3625 . Im learning had to replace the battery today.
It is funny why some CC/Silverbacks come with a BD and some don't.

Our 2012 Silverback 29rk came with it.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:39 PM   #30

It's odd. Our 3 previous campers all came with Battery Disconnects. Our new Sabre did not a year ago, but now they do. (Continuous Improvement!) ...Anyway...mine has one now!

Thanks to Ragin Cajun who posted a pic back when he got his.

SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery disconnect