Old 01-31-2013, 01:55 PM   #31
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimchaSabre View Post
It's odd. Our 3 previous campers all came with Battery Disconnects. Our new Sabre did not a year ago, but now they do. (Continuous Improvement!) ...Anyway...mine has one now!

Thanks to Ragin Cajun who posted a pic back when he got his.
,)

Old 01-31-2013, 02:22 PM   #32
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimchaSabre View Post
It's odd. Our 3 previous campers all came with Battery Disconnects. Our new Sabre did not a year ago, but now they do. (Continuous Improvement!) ...Anyway...mine has one now!

Thanks to Ragin Cajun who posted a pic back when he got his.
I may be wrong - but perhaps the BD is an option and those of us who didn't custom order our units with one installed simply got an unit where the dealer did or did not order one installed at the factory.

I don't have my unit paperwork here, but I am wondering if the BD is indeed an option and my dealer ordered our unit with it installed.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:07 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post

I may be wrong - but perhaps the BD is an option and those of us who didn't custom order our units with one installed simply got an unit where the dealer did or did not order one installed at the factory.

I don't have my unit paperwork here, but I am wondering if the BD is indeed an option and my dealer ordered our unit with it installed.
It wasn't an option on any factory sheet that I saw. I would have gotten it.

That and I wished I knew central vac was an option! I totally would have gotten that.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:58 PM   #34
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
It wasn't an option on any factory sheet that I saw. I would have gotten it.

That and I wished I knew central vac was an option! I totally would have gotten that.
I guess we were lucky - we got both the BD and the Central vacuum - although someone forgot to install a bag in it and I didn't know that until I went to empty it the first time.

I think you can install a central vacuum yourself. I have seen them in a box at CW. Ours in our Silverback is mounted in the compartment under the stairs to the front bedroom and the receptable is mounted on the bottom stair riser.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:18 PM   #35

OK, just to be clear - if I have my camper plugged into shore power while stored at home, I DO NOT need to disconnect the battery (or push the battery disconnect button in) Correct? This whole thing has confused me from the beginning.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:31 PM   #36
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitag View Post
OK, just to be clear - if I have my camper plugged into shore power while stored at home, I DO NOT need to disconnect the battery (or push the battery disconnect button in) Correct? This whole thing has confused me from the beginning.

You are correct. Just think of your BD as being the same as actually disconnecting and removing the battery (s) from your unit. The BD switch is simply an electrical way of disconnecting the batteries from the unit's electrical grid without removing them from the unit.

You don't remove the battery from your unit when you are plugged into shore power, so you don't need to activate the BD switch or push the BD "button" in either.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:56 PM   #37
Denver, CO

Depending on who you talk to, and by my personal experience, I don't recommend leaving the battery hook up all the time during storage, plugged in or not. When the battery is plugged into the converter, it is maintained at a voltage of 13.7 volts in most cases, and not be discharged at all, whether the camper has a voltage draw at all. Some inexpensive converters like the ones in most stock FR are not terribly precise about this. The best thing to do IMO is to charge the battery up to full charge (which is a resting voltage of 12.8) and then disconnect it from the system and check every couple of week to see hoe much it is self draining. When it gets to 12.6 v or so, charge it back up. That's the best way.

If you leave it hooked up it to the camper and not plugged it it usually will lose charge in a week or so, and if you leave it plugged in the float voltage without any current draw at all will eventually sulfate the electrodes and reduce the life.

Complicated, I know. I used to know a mfg that advocated doing couple of deep discharges once a year or so ( run the batteries down to 11.8 volts) and then slowly charge them back up in order to refresh the plates. If you do this at their 20 discharge rating, you can actually tell is the batteries are working at their rated capacity.

This stuff is very important to those that dry camp and need to squeeze all the capacity they can out of their batteries, but not so much for those that hook up every night.

The most advanced folks at this are the sailors who anchor out every night or go offshore and must run their engines to charge their batteries, of which I am or was one.

Garbonz
Old 05-11-2014, 08:43 AM   #38

This is what I was looking for! We just purchased a V-Cross Vibe 6501 and we're wondering if anyone knows if it has a battery disconnect and if so where is it located? Thanks to all!
Old 05-11-2014, 09:12 AM   #39

On our 8289 it came with a battery disconnect push button switch located behind the battery in the front storage area. The only problem I could see is the plunger stuck out a bit from the battery box, while traveling something could bump the plunger and disconnect the battery from the unit. I took things apart and rotated the switch 180* and put a shroud over the terminals. The plunger is a little more difficult to get to but nothing will bump it and cut it off. With the shroud nothing will short against the terminals.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:39 PM   #40

I thought I had seen that the new 2014 Vibes have a battery switch but as far as I know earlier models do not.

Tags
battery, battery disconnect