Old 11-14-2014, 01:51 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead1250 View Post
When im in the woods here in NM and its cold, i just run the genny all night long
You're just funnin with us, right.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
There is no reason the batteries must remain in the current position. There is no way to do extended boondocking on a 75amp hour battery without constantly running the generator so at least 2 batts are needed for what he wants to do. Look to me like a bit of that storage space needs to be reclaimed!
X2 And in the process, re-purposes the inside battery compartment. A win win.

Old 11-14-2014, 02:27 PM   #23

Boondock power upgrades

This all depends when you are boondocking, during the summer here in Ontario I can and have gone 10 days with just my 4 x 15 watt solar panels and my battery did not drop below 85%. If it is cold out and you need to run the furnace then you will need more power. if you do try to put the batteries in the storage area then you will have to watch you tongue weight. these trailers can start to sway if you don't have enough tongue weight.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:49 PM   #24

Put all your Krugerrands where the battery used to be and tongue weight will be fine!
Anyway...it is certainly do-able to view your trailer as a hard tent and not use any electricity while boondocking...or minimal amounts as you do since the panels put out 15amp hours a day on average. My response to GP was to address HIS described needs....which are significantly higher. Your tongue weight comment sounds like something he should be careful about...but easily offset with sufficient quantities of beer up front! LOL
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:39 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
...but easily offset with sufficient quantities of beer up front! LOL
That's why we get along so well, Camaraderie... ya got yer prioritilization on the bigger picture.

I can see where the concern might be though. That's about 130 pound shift. Certainly something to keep in mind. Might not be a bad idea to place a simulated load in the storage area (sand bags or water jugs) and give it a test drive before considering a relocation.

I don't know where the fresh water tank is located, but it might be as simple as making sure you have X number of gallons in the tank to help off-set the weight shift. (??)

Be interesting to hear back on this one.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:57 PM   #26

I don't look at it as a tent, I use the lights, fridge, water pump and water heater to take showers. The fresh water tank is in the front so you could offset some of the weight that way.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 04:38 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
The fresh water tank is in the front so you could offset some of the weight that way.
So without doing all the fancy math (distance forward and rear of axles, loss to rear weight addition.. etc etc) My guesstimation would be around 18-20 gallons in the fresh water tank to offset the weight shift.

Or... 4.6 cases of bottled beer. You'll have to deal with the remaining .4 of a case before you embark.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:53 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
I don't look at it as a tent, I use the lights, fridge, water pump and water heater to take showers. The fresh water tank is in the front so you could offset some of the weight that way.
I'm afraid my typing was not clear in meaning...I did not mean to imply that you used it like a tent.
What I meant was it is POSSIBLE to boondock in an RV and simply use it like a hard tent using no electric.
You were quite clear that you used electric...but it must be a mimimal amount because even in 10 days of sunshine ...putting in solar 15 amp hours a day = 150 amp hours input.
You also said the battery did not drop below 85% which means at most, you only used at most 15 amp hours of your initial battery charge...Thus I am led to believe that you lived for 10 days boondocking using 165 amp hours or 16.5 amp hours a day.
This too is entirely possible since you seem mostly to use electric for a little lighting (Leds perhaps?) and running the water pump...and I assume the fridge and water heater are gas powered.
Others will use more than that .. As an example...the laptop I'm typing on will use roughly 6amphours for each hour of use. Watching a movie on it will equal your entire days use! When I was living aboard my boat at anchor using solar and wind supplemented by genny...I used 150 amp hours a day...about 70 of which went to the electric fridge.

Anyway... looks like you boon it with minimal electric use quite comfortably...just making the point that it takes all kinds and GP clearly was asking for more amphours to meet HIS needs. Sorry for not being more clear.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:55 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
Or... 4.6 cases of bottled beer. You'll have to deal with the remaining .4 of a case before you embark.
I hope the black tank is midships for that 4/10's of a case.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:44 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
You're just funnin with us, right.
Actually, I'm not.

Tags
power, upgrade