Old 10-08-2016, 08:43 PM   #1

Brake wiring burnt up. XtraRide Warranty denied.

I was in Virginia camping for a week and was getting ready to come home. I hooked up my truck to the camper and while I was still sitting there one of the guys said I had smoke pouring out from under the camper. The wires were dripping off the bottom. We hurried and disconnected everything and put out the fire. it did not burn the camper , just the wire harness. I have an extended warranty from Xtraride so they sent a guy out to the RV repair shop in Virginia to look at it. He denied my claim and said since the factory didn't install grommets where the wires pass through the frame it caused a pinch point and let it short out which started the fire. I paid 2200. dollars for that extended warranty and this is the first time I have tried to use it. Thats alot of money compared to what the Vibe 6504 cost. I have had it back to Indiana once to repair the moulding at the top of the trailer. When I drove over from Ohio to pick it up in Indiana. They said Oh yeah we also replaced the axle because it lost it's camber. And he also said they added an electric lift on the front. I have had this camper out for maybe 10 times. I want to retire in a year or two and I'm thinking about buying a bigger camper. All of this trouble is making me start to rethink things. Now , I'm back at work in Ohio and my camper is sitting in Virginia at the RV shop. I'm kind of between a rock and a hard place.

Old 10-08-2016, 09:15 PM   #2

There is always a loop hole for the extended warranty, not looking forward to using mine, I may just get air born

Old 10-08-2016, 09:29 PM   #3

RV warranties are worthless and extended RV warranties are less than worthless.

I'm sorry you had this experience. I'd argue that the grommet was there but it dry rotted and fell out which is not uncommon.

Your repair isn't too difficult which is a good thing.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:33 PM   #4

Well. That fixes it for me. I am 2 weeks away from my final decision about xtraride warranty. I have never had much faith in extended warranty. If they didn't push so hard I would have a more unbiased opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 10-08-2016, 09:48 PM   #5

Maybe I'm stupid but unless you had a foot on the brake pedal how did it get power to start the fire? it sounds more like a bad harness shorting out, and he just assumed it. I think I would question his call...
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:51 PM   #6
CANADA FROG RALLY 2017

Neither Rockwood I have owned have had grommets. Seems odd to me. Sure the break away switch was not activated?
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:59 PM   #7

I was not driving or in the truck yet. They claimed that the harness shorted due to no gromets. The only problem is after fixing the wire harness and seeing if it messed up anything in the camper. I guess they think that the wire shorted when I put power to it.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:04 PM   #8

I am going to talk to Forest River since it's a safety issue . One thing I'm glad about is that it didn't happen while I was driving or I might have been pulling a flaming ball down the road.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
RV warranties are worthless and extended RV warranties are less than worthless.

I'm sorry you had this experience. I'd argue that the grommet was there but it dry rotted and fell out which is not uncommon.

Your repair isn't too difficult which is a good thing.
I asked Xtraride to send me a form explaining the denial. He said Oh , We don't do that. I thought that was a crazy thing to say!
Old 10-08-2016, 10:22 PM   #10

some of this stuff that these companies are allowed to get away with just makes me shake my head.

Tags
brake wiring, warranty, wiring