Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2017, 07:07 PM   #1

Brand new 272bhs won't work off batteries

Had to travel to pick up the Rv, and after the techs spent 2hrs working on it, they convinced me it would work right after charging up from driving... headed home.

Basically the system is dead on battery power. Inverter will work, but lights/accessories/jack are all dead unless plugged into my truck.

Does anyone have pictures of their wiring behind the battery boxes on the right side trailer frame? Would like to see if it is something easy before trying to warranty it.

Thanks for being such a great forum!
Dave ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:48 PM   #2

Im new to the whole TT world, but I also have a 272bhs and was having the same problem. I've taken mine back to the dealer twice, until one of the techs informed me that there are several hard wired items, and no matter if I cut them off it will still pull current from the battery. One of the big culprits is the C.O. detector, it's wired straight to the battery and you can't turn it off. The technician stated the best way to combat this was to get a battery disconnect. I started disconnecting the battery after every trip. So far so good.
crg6300a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:09 AM   #3

So my issues is that even with the batteries fully charged it's not working. Nothing works off battery only. Understand the need for the disconnect and had planned on doing that.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:12 AM   #4

Have a look underneath front of trailer and see if there is a mini-breaker that needs to be re-set by pushing small black button....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-breaker pic.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	134952  
Attached Images

Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:13 AM   #5

Check for an inline resettable fuse link along the frame. Let the forum know what you find.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:38 AM   #6

This is how they gave it to me.

Name:	IMG_6126.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	343.3 KB
ID:	134955
Old 04-17-2017, 09:40 AM   #7

Thought it was odd that the black low gauge wire on the left (from battery) goes to the inverter and then a jumper comes down from the frame.

Inverter however does work on battery.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:47 AM   #8

just so we are on the same page is it the inverter or converter that the black wire (ground) is going to.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
Old 04-17-2017, 09:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
just so we are on the same page is it the inverter or converter that the black wire (ground) is going to.

Inverter- it's the 110v equipment in the front storage. What I haven't checked is if the two black wires are jumpers together at the inverter side.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:56 AM   #10
llr

how are you determine the battery is fully charged?

if you have a voltmeter measure from the black ground wire to each of the terminals on the breakers, it appears the inner terminals are from the battery and outer to the loads
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:58 AM   #11

I disconnected everything and charged them with my ultra fancy charger hoping it would say there was a bad cell - they were close to dead but charged up fine
Old 04-17-2017, 10:17 AM   #12
llr

I should get a voltmeter, they are cheap and almost essential for any electrical troubleshooting, you could use a battery hydrometer to test the battery but this won't help with any down stream testing.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:18 AM   #13

I did not know your travel trailer had an inverter so why would you expect 12V to come from that unit, its designed to invert 12V to 110V. Let the forum know what you find.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
Old 04-17-2017, 11:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post
I should get a voltmeter, they are cheap and almost essential for any electrical troubleshooting, you could use a battery hydrometer to test the battery but this won't help with any down stream testing.
I own a fluke. I work for fluke. FLUKE!
Old 04-17-2017, 11:54 AM   #15
llr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave ATX View Post
I own a fluke. I work for fluke. FLUKE!
I used to own a Fluke, now cheap HF ones, have enough I should be able to find them

what readings are you getting at the battery? and ground lug to the 4 terminals on the breakers?
Old 04-17-2017, 12:03 PM   #16

I'll be tracing the voltage later this week, as I had to take it to storage, but was hoping someone might have a picture of their wiring for comparisons sake to see if there is an obvious fix before doing so.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:15 PM   #17

Quote:
I'll be tracing the voltage later this week, as I had to take it to storage, but was hoping someone might have a picture of their wiring for comparisons sake to see if there is an obvious fix before doing so.
If you took it to the dealer and they didn't put a good charge on the batteries when they declare your electrical to be good, SHAME ON THEM. Do you have a main power shut-off? If it is off during travel your TV is probably not charging, and that assumes you have power at the charging pin on the seven pin connector.

True, there are ambient loads, from what I can tell of that mess of connections, but unless something is grounding out, those should not kill your batteries overnight. I am spoiled by our 24/7 solar, but in the old unit, if I didn't disconnect the batteries it took a week or more to kill the batteries.

That said, I would be looking for an open circuit, a miswire at the truck hookup OR something really wrong, shorting out or with reversed​polarity somewhere.

Please let us hear when you find the problem. It is never an embarrassment as we all miss stuff. It does help us all after we read the suggestions, to find out what happened.

Happy camping.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Had to travel to pick up the Rv, and after the techs spent 2hrs working on it, they convinced me it would work right after charging up from driving... headed home.

Basically the system is dead on battery power. Inverter will work, but lights/accessories/jack are all dead unless plugged into my truck.

Does anyone have pictures of their wiring behind the battery boxes on the right side trailer frame? Would like to see if it is something easy before trying to warranty it.

Thanks for being such a great forum!
It's been my experience that driving does not charge the batteries. We have 2 6v Trojan T-105s and that thin wire from the 7 pin connector is much too light to provide enough charging to offset the parasite drainage from the trailer.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:27 PM   #19

Is anything other than the Fridge (off of the inverter)? It seems the negative from the batteries goes to the inverter, and then the chassis ground is connected to the chasis of the inverter, but nothing else sees negative from the battery.

I could reroute the negative to the chassis as well, but i'm wondering if this isn't done on purpose and don't wish to change anything at all.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Is anything other than the Fridge (off of the inverter)? It seems the negative from the batteries goes to the inverter, and then the chassis ground is connected to the chasis of the inverter, but nothing else sees negative from the battery.

I could reroute the negative to the chassis as well, but i'm wondering if this isn't done on purpose and don't wish to change anything at all.

Name:	IMG_6144.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	359.3 KB
ID:	135262

Tags
batteries