Old 09-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
Changing A Tire !!!!!!!

I find it frustrating that the Forest River owner's manual do not recommend a point for jacking a travel trailer (in my case a VIBE 6504) to change a tire.

To add to the frustration here is the reply I received from Forest River when I emailed them for information on how to jack the trailer.

Unfortunately we do not have literature on this and due to liability issues, as a representative of Forest River I am not allowed to make suggestions on what I think you can do in this situation. I am sorry that I cannot help you in this instance.

pdchristensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
OMG, if FR can't make a recommendation, then who could? Talk about ridiculous!

2013 f150 Ecoboost 4x4
2009 Gray Wolf, 22BH
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
To add to the insanity, they suggested I contact the tire manufacturer.
Talk about being evasive.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
I would look at the frame manufacturer for an expert opinion on where to place the jacks.... That being said, here was a thread regarding jacking the 3150.... Took the Tracer 3150 in for SPIN balancing
2005 Ford Expedition 5.4 4x4
2012 Tracer 3150BHD
sfrye5853 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
Great Info

Thanks for the link to the tire rotation photos, however this would apply to a tandem axle. I am dealing with a single axle.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #6
Experienced Newbie
When I jacked up my Apex to check the brakes, I placed a wood block as close to the axle as I could and used a bottle jack to lift it. I have access to a floor jack but wanted to verify the bottle jack's ability as that is what I would be using on the side of the road.

2011 Silverado CC/SB
2014 Cougar 31SQB
mhartzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
You should be able to put a jack on the axle, close to the wheel, and be able to lift it enough to change a tire, without lifting the other tire off the ground. This also shouldn't put any undue stress on the frame. Changed many trailer tires this way.
2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped
2014 - 56
2015 - 41
2016 - 64
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #8
If I may add 2cents here.
I recently had to repair a tire on a v-cross. I blocked 8" between the two wheels with 2x6 wood then inserted a small Hydraulic piston jack that I keep for odd situations.
just placed it on the underside of the frame in a logical position, and raised it more than enough to get the tire off, and back on.

There is a "drive up" jack sold in CaMping world that is made for this purpose with dual wheel trailers. Prob wont work for single axel.

For Single Axel, I would hook up to a tow vehicle for roll-prevention, and do the same scenario described above. This IS the world of do it yourself, we are on our own.

Forest River is nearly the worst manufacturer I have ever dealt with. Do not look to them for a lot of assistance. Just use your head and be safe.

Dan941 is offline   Reply With Quote