Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2017, 12:45 PM   #21

What I don't understand is why take delivery of something that is not right. As long as the dealer and customer continue to take delivery it will not get any better. This is the reason it takes weeks to get warranty work done because of the shabby factory workmanship the dealer is backed up.
Gonefishing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:02 PM   #22

Has anyone ever looked at the condition of a new automobile when it is delivered to a dealership?
Not talking about once it is sitting out on the dealers lot, but when it is actually delivered.
Usually to a waiting / storage lot off site from the actual dealership..
Granted some of the issues seen on RV's are unacceptable but I think you would say the same about most auto manufacturers as well .

2019 Ford F-250 Super Cab 6.2L Lariat
2016 ML23FB (Sold March 2024)
2024 ML25SRK
MT Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:05 PM   #23

Lesson learned, got quotes from over 5 dealers up to 5 hours away. We tried to work with a local dealer for a show model, ordered from another dealer 4.5 hours away and saved over 6K. The dealer we choose contacted us when the TT arrived ,on a Monday and said they would be doing their QC and the following week we could pick it up. We had done our homework, that dealer has overnight hook-ups (10) for new TT to run/test everything, next day they checked out our findings - adjusted, repaired or replaced. No dealer/manufacturer is perfect, but these people are trying. It sure pays to shop around and look at the reviews.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:10 PM   #24
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Biker View Post
Has anyone ever looked at the condition of a new automobile when it is delivered to a dealership?
Not talking about once it is sitting out on the dealers lot, but when it is actually delivered.
Usually to a waiting / storage lot off site from the actual dealership..
Granted some of the issues seen on RV's are unacceptable but I think you would say the same about most auto manufacturers as well .
Difference is though.. when something is found they are generally quick to correct.

Eg: I bough my 2015.5 2500. Turns out I was part of a few trucks were a weld was faulty under the dash. This allowed water into the cab during heavy rains. Truck was 2 weeks old and in the shop with the entire interior removed, shipped to be correctly welded, interior replaced where needed and correct where not needing replacement. Total time down was not quite a month. Did I get held hostage by the dealership while they fought with warranty work and had my truck denying me its usage? No fighting.. But my truck was technically hostage for the month.. But I was given a choice of anything on their lot.. I chose another 2500 and told do what I needed. Almost had to use it to tow to Florida, which they said was fine, what ever I needed...

Imagine being given another camper (at least similar to yours) while yours is being repaired.. No WAY!

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:23 PM   #25

There you go Doc. Difference is, the automakers have figured out that quality and service sells units. The RV makers / dealers haven't figured that out yet... but they will when the market tanks at some point, and it will.

The RV industry is very cyclical and totally dependent on spendable income and fuel prices. If either go south, so does the RV industry and then, the quality builders and quality dealers will survive and the rest will go down the toilet.

Not all bad actually.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:24 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Problem is if you make them accountable for the damages it will sit at the dealer for months while you're in line with everyone else!
First, Id not buy this unit. Id go elsewhere and look for a unit better put together.
Second, He can be the FRONT of the line, IF he says, I won't pay you a cent til it is 100%. They delay when they have the money....because they can!
Withhold the money and they will jump through their A_S to get it done quickly!
Old 03-16-2017, 02:54 PM   #27

Unsatisfied?

You are in a position of power. You do NOT have to buy that rig. Especially don't take delivery and try to get the dealer to fix everything on warrantee.
Either have them bring it up to your standard BEFORE you buy, or take your deposit and go elsewhere. You can find that same floor plan I am sure.
Or just walk, and take a little more time to find the right rig.
A good philosophy, I adopted while buying a home (4 homes ago) is NEVER FALL IN LOVE WITH ANYTHING.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:57 PM   #28

People have stated the debris is normal... shame on them for not cleaning it up. I read the staples as trim pieces and other stuff with loose staples. Mine has the staple marks on some trim and wall panels...not really sticking up, but paper/coating raised where the staples went through at light speed.

FWIW a friend of the DD has a V-nosed trailer 3-4 years old and I am very impressed with the look of the trailer. I didn't do an inspection, but I glanced around. Pretty nice unit.

IMO be prepared for some little things to patch/tidy-up. You will prolly always find some saw dust here and there as they are assembled as built and and a non-particular fashion. If the fans don't blow out the dust then it's prolly still in there unless a yard broom would have picked it up. These clean-up exercises allow you to get familiar with "where that is." I found several fuse holders, water pump, winterizing hose, blind storage spots, dangling wires and other stuff and I am not finished "cleaning." If you decide to purchase the unit don't let the little stuff bother you. If all the appliances and systems work as expected then the rest is easy to handle. Good luck to you and your family however you decide.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:06 PM   #29

Walk away. The defects you can't see will end up costing you a lot more than those you see now.

Ken
kenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:52 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Problem is if you make them accountable for the damages it will sit at the dealer for months while you're in line with everyone else!
No not at all. I travel am a disabled combat vet and travel. If you command respect they will deliver. If you demand same you will have your unit sit. People need to realize they are the consumer. A loan can be cancelled and claims can be filed. I have found Forest River more than willing to help even when I have ran into a dealer who says we only fix what we sell. We won;t fix your. That is when you write letters to local organizations and dime that dealer out. I have 2 such I am seeking license revocation from. I as a veteran have a bit of pull from 3 the VFW, Legion and DAV. A large group of us are campers. Whether you a vet or not write the dealers local posts. You see if one dealer in GA says no because they only fix then you as a buyer can expect no better from a dealer in Bum F wherever. You can cut a deaerlships business in 1/2 or more by posting reviews, writing letters etc. One such offered after I was in the area for 2 weeks and a simple fix to say yea we can get it in. I told them I would not let you make me coffee let alone touch my 30k investment. Locals responded to me and have purchased elsewhere. Guys do not let a dealer sit on your home. If they do they will be paying for hotels etc...
TonyShope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:59 PM   #31
Who Dares, Wins

First, thanks for your service

I wish your way of thinking was true. You may write letters and boycott dealers but the facts are many, if not most, are all the same.. You are a dollar sign. Once they have your money you are on the hook for the load. You can sue all you want but the laws do not protect us.. In the mean time you are out money, unless you do win and get damages your lucky. In the mean time the dealer sold 20 more units to saps who just take what they get and continue the cycle. In the mean time any chance of you getting fixed is done once the lawyers get involved.

I assure you, while you may deserve respect and be treated better, that is a thing of the past.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:04 AM   #32

Great layout for a big family! We have the 365 V Cross and it has a bunk house for the kids as well. The dealer really should have done a good PDI on it before setting up for show. If you purchase, make sure a complete punch list is made and all the issues are taken care of. I can telly ou this, no camper will ever be perfect and you will always have some warranty work that needs to be done within the first 90 days. We did a punch list and they did most of it and had to wait for some parts. Told us to take it and camp in it and make a followup list if we found any issues. We did and set up an appt to have them fix the things. Had her almost 3 years and loving the unit!
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:47 PM   #33

Op update. Ended up walking away from the deal still stuck with FR though ended up ordering a Catalina Legacy edition trailer instead. Hopefully we don't have similar issues we will see in a few weeks. Thanks for all the replies and advice.
Bs_rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:55 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bs_rvers View Post
Op update. Ended up walking away from the deal still stuck with FR though ended up ordering a Catalina Legacy edition trailer instead. Hopefully we don't have similar issues we will see in a few weeks. Thanks for all the replies and advice.
Good for you! Thank you for the update. Please keep us posted. Congrats on your new rig.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:28 PM   #35

The best you should plan for is a unit that is water tight and all of the systems work. Everthing else you should note. I know not everyone is as particular as I am, but I had to be while responsible for signing for some very expensive machines at work. At the RV delivery I used a tablet and took pictures of every visual repair issue I could find during inspection prior to signing. I then sent the pics to the saleman via email and noted each item identified on the due bill. They signed the due bill before closing. Just like buying a car or heavy equipment.

I tell the salesman that they did not build it so they are not resposible for the errors, but as the dealer they work for is outstanding they will get the due bill items corrected. I have has one transaction when the agent (salesman) said we are honest and a hand shake will do. I agreed with him and said your are honest, and trustworthy so as soon as you sign the due bill we can shake hands.

Do not confuse QA issues requiring mechanical correction with lousy prep. We have been cleaning out saw dust and finding extra screws for weeks after delivery. Would I like better? Really it does not matter as I am going to inspect everything, prob redoit anyway....
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote