Old 06-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #1

Exclamation Excessive sway - weight distribution problem

We bought a 2013 Vibe 6502. We absolutely love the trailer, however ...

The trailer came with the E2 WDH factory mounts (2 studs on each side of the tongue). The dealer installed an E2 WDH. We took it home and loaded the large cargo storage with 350# of camping gear... no fresh, grey or black water. About 50# more in the cabinets. (far less than the 646# stated in the brochure)

On the road, I took a small swerve to avoid a retread at 50 MPH. The trailer went into a death sway. It took my tow vehicle into the oncoming lane (luckily no traffic)

I researched and found the cause to be not enough tongue weight. Recommended 10-15% Problem is the Vibe 6502 starts about 10% (3164# empty and 310# Tongue weight empty) The large cargo compartment and the fresh water tank is behind the axle. Anything you put in the CC or fresh tank removes tongue weight. I had 100# (3% Tongue weight) ... I bought a Sherline tongue weight scale.

The steel on steel friction sway control on the E2 hitch is ineffective without adequate tongue weight. (Actually, the E2 Manual recommends a minimum of 400# TW)

Do the math ... I'm at a loss as to what the FR engineers were thinking ... am I missing something ?

I've had it a month and haven't used it as I feel it is not safe to tow. The dealer won't take it back even though it's never been used.

I'm changing to a Reese 600/6000 Equal-i-zer hitch with 4 point sway control. Also, I'm considering the Dexter 6000# axle upgrade as explained by pdchristensen in this thread so I can add some lead weight to the front and put more than pillows in the generous cargo storage compartment.
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
Moderators' Assistant

it would help if you posted what you're towing the Vibe with.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #3

I'm towing with a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport - 4.0 Liter w/rear air shocks.
The jeep pulled my old Cabana 17 Ft. expandable trailer fine. The Vibe and Cabana weigh about the same, the Cabana had much more tongue weight with two 30 Lb. propane tanks and a pick-up truck tool box on the tongue.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimalkr View Post

The trailer came with the E2 WDH factory mounts (2 studs on each side of the tongue). The dealer installed an E2 WDH. We took it home and loaded the large cargo storage with 350# of camping gear... no fresh, grey or black water. About 50# more in the cabinets. (far less than the 646# stated in the brochure)

On the road, I took a small swerve to avoid a retread at 50 MPH. The trailer went into a death sway. It took my tow vehicle into the oncoming lane (luckily no traffic)

I researched and found the cause to be not enough tongue weight. Recommended 10-15% Problem is the Vibe 6502 starts about 10% (3164# empty and 310# Tongue weight empty) The large cargo compartment and the fresh water tank is behind the axle. Anything you put in the CC or fresh tank removes tongue weight. I had 100# (3% Tongue weight) ... I bought a Sherline tongue weight scale.

The steel on steel friction sway control on the E2 hitch is ineffective without adequate tongue weight. (Actually, the E2 Manual recommends a minimum of 400# TW)

Do the math ... I'm at a loss as to what the FR engineers were thinking ... am I missing something ?

I've had it a month and haven't used it as I feel it is not safe to tow. The dealer won't take it back even though it's never been used.

I'm changing to a Reese 600/6000 Equal-i-zer hitch with 4 point sway control. Also, I'm considering the Dexter 6000# axle upgrade as explained by pdchristensen in this thread so I can add some lead weight to the front and put more than pillows in the generous cargo storage compartment.
You posted the same thing on (10/1/2012)? Youroo!!
Old 06-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
win

[QUOTE=youroo;390871]You posted the same thing on (10/1/2012)? Youroo!!/QUOTE]

OP Joined the forum this year so doubt that he posted this

before
Old 06-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimalkr View Post

What are you considering a small swerve???? A small swerve in a TV alone is minor........A small swerve with a travel trailer can bring on the tail wagging the dog action..... Don't know anything about your set up but it sounds to me like the equalizer / sway / hitch set up needs a to be set up better..... I doubt anything at all is wrong with the trailer........... Any trailer that out weighs the tow vehicle can bring on unwanted reactions in panic type situations......

Good Luck

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #7

[QUOTE=win;390876]
Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
You posted the same thing on (10/1/2012)? Youroo!!/QUOTE]

OP Joined the forum this year so doubt that he posted this

before
He added to a Post(10/1/2012-V Cross Sway Control) his post was added to this yesterday at (1.09 PM) Same post as Today. Youroo!!
Old 06-02-2013, 11:09 PM   #8
win

[QUOTE=youroo;391318]
Quote:
Originally Posted by win View Post
He added to a Post(10/1/2012-V Cross Sway Control) his post was added to this yesterday at (1.09 PM) Same post as Today. Youroo!!
I got what you mean now!!!
Old 06-02-2013, 11:36 PM   #9
Site Team

anything you place forward of the axles should help to add tongue weight. Where do you keep things like camping chairs? Try stowing heavy cleaners and such in the cabinet under the bathroom vanity. Your in a tough spot with only 600 lbs of ccc before options. As others have said also get your wdh set up properly. This might help you.... how to set up wdh, and this how wdh works
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #10
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
anything you place forward of the axles should help to add tongue weight. Where do you keep things like camping chairs? Try stowing heavy cleaners and such in the cabinet under the bathroom vanity. Your in a tough spot with only 600 lbs of ccc before options. As others have said also get your wdh set up properly. This might help you.... how to set up wdh, and this how wdh works

I would have to agree. I have the VIBE 6504 which I upgraded with the 6K axle/rims & tires. Prior to that the cargo capacity was limited to 250lbs, which you likely would not stow all in the rear compartment. Some of it was stowed above or in front of the axle to distribute more weight forward. I just installed an equalizer brand hitch last week and noted the tongue weight of about 350 lbs which is pretty close to the equalizer recommendation. - can not wait to get the new rig - (axle upgrade & equalizer hitch) on its first road trip - July 1, 2013 - heading to Riding Mountain National Park, Manitoba - Canada for 2 weeks with the family.

Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan
pdchristensen is offline   Reply With Quote