Old 06-21-2016, 07:30 AM   #1

First outing in 308 BHS

Hello everyone! Just wanted to write a little summary of our first outing. We've had our new TT for about 6 months now but due to our busy schedule haven't been able to get out until last week.
Last year we had a 28' TT and pulled with a Tahoe. The Tahoe pulled okay but trips were long and a bit uneasy at times due to sway etc.
Last Dec. we upgraded to a GMC Sierra 2500HD crew cab, and purchased the Vibe 308BHS with the Blue OX WDH/anti sway hitch. I'm glad to report, I could not be happier with the combo!!! I was hesitant on moving to such a long rig but wanted to have extra space for my 2 sons and have the space for them to bring a friend along.
We pulled from Manassas, VA to Claytor Lake state park in southern VA. Out 66 and down 81. No problems with the mountains or anything else.
The TT was most everything we hoped for. A few little things that need attention are:
The battery. If I'm not plugged in to power, the battery drains in about 24hrs. I would like to find what power source is causing this. I've read other's solution was to install a battery disconnect switch. Anyone know what is causing the drain in power? I would also like to relocate the battery to somewhere besides the pass thru storage. It's difficult get to.
The stabilizer jacks. The trailer is so long, there is some bounce in the middle of the trailer. I'm thinking about adding mid point jacks to help.
The shower. I'm 6' 2". I was able to shower but could use a little extra space. We plan on getting the extended shower rod to help out. It is what it is and I can deal with it.
All in all, I'm happy with our purchase. We have another trip planned in 2 weeks to Hilton Head. It's about 550 miles. Looking forward to it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1466508569453.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	111698   Click image for larger version

Name:	1466508589386.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	111699  

Evolution Printing, Manassas, VA
Design ~ Printing ~ Signs
evoprinting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:57 PM   #2
I go RV'ing not Camping

Congrats on your new trailer and glad you are out having fun...that's the important thing!

1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:22 PM   #3

My battery will drain that fast as well.

My 308BHS is a 2016 that we purchased in April of 2015 and I thought that they moved all the batteries to the front just below the propane. I have attached a picture of my setup.

Hope you love the trailer we love ours.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:57 PM   #4

Congrats of the new setup, TT & TV! As far as power, your fridge is what I would suspect is the bigger draw on the battery. The condensation heater in the door is a big drain. It looks like you have limited room for the battery unless you relocate it and add a second battery. There are some posts that people have gone through each electrical item and listed the amperage draw. The fridge and the CO2 sensor are the ones that stay on constantly. I wouldn't want to disconnect the CO2 sensor but we turn off our fridge midday when it's not being used (door opened) when we boondock. If it's being opened on a regular basis, then you want to leave it on. Some of the older fridges had a condensation switch that allowed you to turn off the heat strip in the door.
flymhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:58 PM   #5

Rwasmith, our trailer was a new 2015. The still had the battery in the front storage compartment. I would like to move it to the front frame.
As for the refrigerator, the drain happens even with the power completely off. As far as I know, everything was off and the battery still drained in 24hrs.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:24 PM   #6

Congrats on the successful trip the drain is from the o2 censor and smoke detector I usually disconnect my batt when home and I have a batt tender that I plug in as well

Clancy vibe272bhs
Old 06-21-2016, 09:37 PM   #7

Thanks! It's obvious but I didn't even think about those two things.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:17 PM   #8

I have a 2017 308bhs, mine came with dual batteries mounted directly behind the propane tanks.

I am wondering if you have the inverter with the residential frig and is it the culprit for battery drain?

🇺🇸CavSGT🇺🇸

2017 Vibe 308BHS
2004 GMC Sierra HD Duramax
Old 06-24-2016, 09:32 PM   #9

We have the standard refrigerator. Thinking it must be the smoke detector and o2 censor. Also, I'm going to check to see if the tablet could be part of the problem. Has anyone recounted the batteries to the tongue? If so, what was involved?

Old 02-10-2017, 07:53 AM   #10

Hey everyone! It's been a while and we're currently winterize and waiting for spring!
Just wanted to update on our trailer after a year of use. We probably spent about 20 nights in it last year. At the end of the summer I noticed a bubble in the laminate on the outer rear wall and the back, outdoor kitchen door didn't fit properly. I wasn't able to get it in to service until Jan.
Forest River approved the warranty work. Apparently, they will replace the door and the entire rear wall!!! I'm not sure how I feel about this though. As far as I could tell, the two problems were not related. I've never seen evidence of a leak.
The dealer has been good, parts are on order. Hoping to have it back by mid-March.