Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2014, 11:42 AM   #1

Fresh water filled with City hook up???

We are new to the TT world and just got a 2014 830VBH. It has a Black Flush, Fresh Water, and a City Water hook up. We just took it out for the second time during mother's day and i discovered that my fresh water tank fills when im hooked up to the city connection. i have looked for a "bypass valve" and have not seen this mysterious bypass valve for the pump. if i turn on the water pump while hooked up to city is it supposed to fill fresh water? or is pump only for when using from fresh water tank while dry camping? Sorry for the Nuuube question
TheChockleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:53 AM   #2

Same thing happened to us this year. Funny thing is we've only used the pump twice to dewinterize as we're on a seasonal site with city water. I called ShureFlo, explained the situation, and they sent me a new pump.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:17 PM   #3

yeah everyone i talk to says that there is this said bypass valve for the pump but i have yet to find on and you cant get any schematics from Forest River, or VCross
Old 05-13-2014, 12:42 PM   #4

You should have two locations for the fresh water. One is a fill opening for the fresh water and the other is a threaded connection for the city water connection. The pump is for dry camping or any time you want water in your rig when you don't have city water connection. Not sure of a bypass valve for the city water, there is one for winterizing the water system and to bypass the hot water tank.
MMattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:10 PM   #5

There are two threaded locations outside, one is fresh water threaded to fill fresh tank, and the other is a threaded city hook up. I was under the impression that the city water is not supposed to fill the fresh water tank? Is that correct? I have not yet found a "gravity" filler if thats what you were talking about.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:22 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

It is not a bypass valve.

There are 3 one way check valves internal to the pump (which has 3 rotating pumps driven by the motor). Any one of them may be bad or clogged with crud (typically from draining the hot water tank through the plumbing (low point drains). Don't do this.

Sometimes you can clear it by flushing the toilet several times when on the water pump (not city water); other wise a new pump head or pump is required.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shurflo Pump IPB.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	52316  
Attached Images

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:01 PM   #7

I second what Herk said - it is a bad check valve in your 12V water pump that is the culprit. Your unit is a 2014 model so just take it back to the dealer and they will install a new 12V water pump under warranty. It is cheaper for them to simply replace it than to repair it.

...VTX-Al
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:07 PM   #8

Awesome! i love it when a plan comes together! by the way, i called forest river and asked for schematics of plumbing and electrical and they said "why would we need schematics, if we used them we would let you look at them..." thanks Herk and all!
Old 05-13-2014, 02:13 PM   #9

OK, now I am confused! I did not think there was any connection at all between the City Water Connection and the fresh water tank.

I had thought City water was a direct connect to your plumbing system and water pressure from the spigot determined flow from faucets & showers. OTOH, the water puml pumps water from the holding tank and provides the pressure for water flow.

Never thought the two could interact...Lou let me learn at your knee!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChockleys View Post
i called forest river and asked for schematics of plumbing and electrical and they said "why would we need schematics, if we used them we would let you look at them..." thanks Herk and all!
so how do the repair folks do their jobs without schematics? The engineer in me shudders
Old 05-13-2014, 02:17 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Awesome! i love it when a plan comes together! by the way, i called forest river and asked for schematics of plumbing and electrical and they said "why would we need schematics, if we used them we would let you look at them..." thanks Herk and all!
Whoever you talked to did not lie to you.
There are no schematics, just shop drawings.

Any color codes are strictly supplier driven (like the colors on the MicroMonitor sensor wires.

I BELIEVE, that wire runs during construction are determined by what is on the spool of the correct size at the time your camper was built.

For example all 30 amp DC runs are green and yellow in my camper regardless of where they go. In this photo the green and yellow twin wires power the slide motors and the fresh water tank heating pads.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Horst Probe Install 020.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	52318  
Old 05-13-2014, 02:23 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
OK, now I am confused! I did not think there was any connection at all between the City Water Connection and the fresh water tank.

I had thought City water was a direct connect to your plumbing system and water pressure from the spigot determined flow from faucets & showers. OTOH, the water puml pumps water from the holding tank and provides the pressure for water flow.

The city water inlet has an integral check valve that prevents pump pressure water from squirting out the side of the camper. The pump has a check valve (assembly) that prevents city water pressure from filling your fresh water tank.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Winter1.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	52319  
Old 05-13-2014, 02:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
The city water inlet has an integral check valve that prevents pump pressure water from squirting out the side of the camper. The pump has a check valve (assembly) that prevents city water pressure from filling your fresh water tank.
Thanks for the explaination Lou!

You seem to have quite a few of these RV Visual aids

Would you care to upload your collection to FRF? Visual guys like me would deeply appreciate that!
Old 05-13-2014, 03:19 PM   #14

Quote:
yeah everyone i talk to says that there is this said bypass valve for the pump but i have yet to find on and you cant get any schematics from Forest River, or VCross
On mind when using the city water it can,t go in to the fresh water tank.I have a separted line on mind.
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:22 PM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Thanks for the explaination Lou!

You seem to have quite a few of these RV Visual aids

Would you care to upload your collection to FRF? Visual guys like me would deeply appreciate that!
LOL, where do you think I got them?

When I see something that helps me understand a system, I save it to a thumb drive that has been nicknamed "The Herkbrary" by members of this very forum.

I have just organized everything on the drive by "system" folder. I also have included links to repair resources and YouTube videos.

That drive is now over 40 gigabytes in size (I throw nothing away).
FRF would be ticked if I uploaded all that

I keep it in this thumb drive.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	64 Gig Herkbrary.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	52326  
Old 05-13-2014, 03:24 PM   #16

Quote:

I agree
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:28 PM   #17

Quote:
The pump has no bypass but instead it has internal check valve. When shore pressure is applied to the same piping the pump discharges to, the pump check valves prevent backflow through the pump and its suction leading to the tank.

A bypass you are thinking about is around the water heater for winterizing purposes.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:03 PM   #18

Quote:

This RV Plumbing | Fresh Water Tank | Dump Tanks | Water Heater | Grey might help you see it a little better. Obviously, if the check valve that is part of the 12V pump fails, it will allow water from the city fresh water input to flow through to the onboard fresh water holding tank. About the only thing missing from this diagram is the bypass line and valve across the red and blue lines on the input/output of the water heater.

...VTX-Al

...edited - OOPS, Herk beat me to it with the diagram, but I will leave my post up as well, as it also includes holding tanks etc.
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:02 PM   #19

I am SOOO CONFUSED! Had the same problem with the fresh water tank filling up when hooked up to the city water. Is someone able to explain what I need to do (or not do) to solve this issue? I'm going Thursday and I'd like to have a handle on it.

HELP PLEASE
Blubear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:17 PM   #20
Canadian Member

Sounds like you need to have your 12V water pump replaced under warranty on your 2014 Vibe.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, led, water