Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2014, 10:06 AM   #21

This is how my valves are set currently for use of water heater:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1400511953.786323.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	52783
If your heater is setup as this then you will be set to go!
RussellReyn89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:22 AM   #22

Thanks Everyone

I will go in tonight to look around. I thought that the wall mounted panel that shows the tanks .. the switch only triggers the furnace to light, and not the water heater. The furnace did light when I tested.

Appreciate all the help. I'll get in there tonight, take pics, and repost to be sure.
jsk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:41 PM   #23

You should have a thermostat on the wall as you walk into the bathroom, that will control your furnace.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:26 PM   #24

I see the Thermostat. So the switch on the wall is purely for the hotwater ignition (the switch below the tank levels). That makes sense, though the manual is poor and it is really not self evident. I'll fill this weekend, test pressure the tank, and fire it up! Thanks
Old 05-19-2014, 01:34 PM   #25
Site Team

there is no "Thermostat" for the water heater.
the Thermostat is for a/c and furnace, not the water heater.

it does sound like you see the DSI red toggle switch for the water heater's propane side, which is usually near the tank/battery level monitor panel.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:38 PM   #26

Yes I understand that there is no thermostat. I'm looking to confirm that on the little panel mounted on the wall by the galley that has the tank levels indicators and battery indicators, and two toggle buttons ("heat" and "pump") what the heat switch does. I assumed that enabled the furnace to work (on or off). It sounds like rather is the switch that turns on or off the direct ignition to the hot water tank? Make sense? I'll take a picture tonight
Old 05-19-2014, 01:46 PM   #27

Yes your left red switch on panel near sink is only for water heater using propane gas. The right switch is only for your pump to use water from the fresh water holding tank. Thermostat on the wall near bathroom works only the furnace. Feel free to message me anytime! I am new to the Vibe 6504 as well. Learning as I go and asking questions from all these kind folks on here!
Old 05-19-2014, 01:53 PM   #28

OK great! Makes sense. I bought it from another person. No dealer. The documentation is very poor. We have our first trip this weekend. Keep your computer handy, I may have questions LOL
Old 05-19-2014, 02:04 PM   #29

Fire away with questions! If I haven't a clue somebody on here will! Enjoy the long weekend!
Old 05-25-2014, 08:41 PM   #30

Hot water switch??!?

Is there a thermostat for the water heater so it doesn't overheat? I've accidentally left it on after washing dishes. Went to bed. Late on the night I here the pressure relief valve pop and water rushes out the grill in the outside metal door! Is this normal for the suburban wh? I haven't seen anyone mention it in these threads to turn the electric switch off when done...

2008 Silverado EXtCab 6.0 Vortex Max
2010 Forest River Surveyor SV-294
Equalizer 1000 WD/SC hitch
Prodigy Brake Controller
nowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:47 PM   #31

I am not aware of a thermostat. I have never turned my off. I flip the switch and it heats only as it's needed to my understanding. Possibly you have something else going on! I am certain there are others on here who have more knowledge about these than I do!
Old 05-26-2014, 08:03 AM   #32

Not that I'm an expert... But if the pressure relief valve is popping off, you have another problem. These hot water tanks are as carefree as your hot water tank at home... Turn it on and forget about it till you leave.
I have often wondered about having both the gas and electric heating elements on simultaneously... I always assumed it had to be one or the other? So running both at the same time heats the water faster?
Old 05-26-2014, 08:11 AM   #33
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDHfan View Post
Not that I'm an expert... But if the pressure relief valve is popping off, you have another problem. These hot water tanks are as carefree as your hot water tank at home... Turn it on and forget about it till you leave.
I have often wondered about having both the gas and electric heating elements on simultaneously... I always assumed it had to be one or the other? So running both at the same time heats the water faster?
Yes, running both gives a faster recovery time. The pressure relief valve on your home water heater is never flipped to drain the tank like an rv water heater and thus the home valve seldom leaks unless faulty. Not so in an rv where people flip the lever to facilitate draining the tank when removing the anode or drain plug.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:50 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellReyn89 View Post
I am not aware of a thermostat. I have never turned my off. I flip the switch and it heats only as it's needed to my understanding. Possibly you have something else going on! I am certain there are others on here who have more knowledge about these than I do!
There are (Hi Limit Controls) for both Elect & Gas. They are (NOT) adjustable by user,pre set! Good chance that (1) or both need replaced. They are located behind Black covers on the W/H. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:06 PM   #35

All worked great relative to hot water I used both, quick recovery time! Thanks everyone

Tags
hot water, water