Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2018, 09:41 AM   #1

How do the light switches work?

Does anybody know how the interior light switch works on the control panel? It seems like if I turn off individual lights on the light itself, the main light switch for the interior lights no longer works.

Thanks in advance!
pvgregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:45 AM   #2
Always Learning

That is expected.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:46 AM   #3
Site Team

In most cases the switch controls the power to one or more individual lights. If there are more than one light in the string, individual lights can be shut off. If the wall switch is off there is no power to the string and individual switches on lights will not turn on light

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:48 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Yep, pretty much how it works. The switch on the control panel kills power to the light, the switch at the light kills power at the light. Both have to be on to be on (for the lights that are controlled by the switch). They're not like a 3 way light in your house.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:48 AM   #5

It seems like sometimes I can make the main switch turn on and off all the lights. Other times I have to turn each individual light on.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:54 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Correct. If you turn an individual light off, you have to turn it back on in order for the main switch to operate it. If you turn the main switch off, you have to turn it back on for the individual switches to work. Both main switch and individual switches have to be on for the light to be on.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:54 AM   #7
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Yep, pretty much how it works. The switch on the control panel kills power to the light, the switch at the light kills power at the light. Both have to be on to be on (for the lights that are controlled by the switch). They're not like a 3 way light in your house.
What Kaadk said. The main switch on the control panel is like a breaker. If that's off, the lights on that circuit will not work. If it's on, the lights on that circuit can turn on and off via the local controls on that specific light.

With that said, in my 2504S not all of the lights are in the circuit to that main switch on the control panel. The dinette light is one example. That one can go on and off regardless of the control panel switch. The two lights over the Murphy bed are also on a second switch near the power ports next to the bed.

I think about 75% of my lights are linked to the main switch on the control panel. The rest are off doing their own thing.

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:40 AM   #8
Site Team

The main switch is in series with the individual fixture switches.

So as said above if the main switch is off, the individual switches won't do anything, but if the individual switch is off then the main switch won't turn that light on.

I'm not sure if I like that or if I'd like them paralleled better. If they were paralleled, then you'd have to have both switches off before the light would go off, but either of them would turn it on.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
The main switch is in series with the individual fixture switches.

So as said above if the main switch is off, the individual switches won't do anything, but if the individual switch is off then the main switch won't turn that light on.

I'm not sure if I like that or if I'd like them paralleled better. If they were paralleled, then you'd have to have both switches off before the light would go off, but either of them would turn it on.
I think the original poster is trying to say his does not work like everyone is suggesting. From what he is saying there is a little more logic built into the circuit than just a series layout. Maybe he is mis diagnosing it but think there could be more than what everyone is saying.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:15 AM   #10

Light Switches

I had this happen...I had tried to use the remote control, which I did not realize controlled the lights too.

Somehow I put the lights on by remote, and then could not shut them off with the control panel switch.

When I turned them off by the remote, then normal control panel switch function returned.
bcj245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:35 AM   #11

Maybe it would help if you listed what type of camper you have.
Mine is a little different than everyone is suggesting.
I have a switch by the door. It controls 1 puck light only. I can manually turn off this puck light at the light , doesn't matter the switch position.
The other 7 puck lights are only controlled at each individual puck light.

You can get a dimmer with a remote for some of the lights that are connected at the fuse panel (different topic at RV Newbies Facebook site).

Plus my remote controls the awning, stabilizers, awning LED strip. Nothing else.
2018 JGC Limited 4x4 w/tow
MarkDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvgregory View Post
It seems like sometimes I can make the main switch turn on and off all the lights. Other times I have to turn each individual light on.
that's because you turned off the light at the light.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
I think the original poster is trying to say his does not work like everyone is suggesting. From what he is saying there is a little more logic built into the circuit than just a series layout. Maybe he is mis diagnosing it but think there could be more than what everyone is saying.
Yes, thanks. My issue is, sometimes, the main light switch will turn on/off all the lights that are switched on. Sometimes, the main switch does nothing, even when the individual lights are turned on.

I've got a 2017 Vibe 272BHS.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:13 PM   #14
Site Team

If that's the case I'd suspect that you have an intermittent switch. It could be an intermittent connection on the main switch also.

Have you tried to flip the main switch on and off several times when it doesn't work? If so did it start working?

Tags
light, switch