Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2016, 04:00 PM   #1

How to manually close awning?

During our PDI I asked the tech how to close the awning if the motor failed while camping. He said it was not possible to roll it up manually. That seems like a big problem waiting to happen. Is this true or is there something he missed (he was completely wrong about how the Dometic fridge worked, so it's not beyond possibility).
3 Border Collies
3 chickens a'laying
1 Wife
johnbro27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 04:56 PM   #2

I had wife hold switch while I rolled it up.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:05 PM   #3

What brand awning is it?
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:06 PM   #4

Dometic
Old 10-03-2016, 05:11 PM   #5

Mine is a LCI. I HAVE A RUBBER PLUG YOU CAN REMOVE AND USE A 7/16 socket and Rachet to crank it in.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:04 AM   #6

Dealer said during pdi ,that at the motor end there is a screw on the front side that needs to be removed and that will release spring tension and allow it to retract. But, first you need to install the strap like the manual awnings had. Mine was in the manuals bag. It's a two person job. One to hold onto the strap,the other to remove the screw an slowly let it retract into place
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:40 PM   #7

Check the awning mfg website. I know AE has instructions.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:30 PM   #8

There is an excellent video on u tube about retracting the awning if the motor fails. Yes the strap is a must and you need to remove that screw at the motor end.,(sorry cannot remember the size) Anyway one person holds the strap tight and pulls the awning strap a bit to help release the screw because when it comes out that spring in the awning is really powerful, so don't let go !.
At least that will get you home and your awning will be stored as it was with the motor.

Brandon2
2014 2500TS
Sun Seeker
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:50 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

The only screw I've seen on Dometic awnings is the one holding the motor in the strut. Not a good idea to remove it as the torsion spring on the other end will roll the awning very quickly and spin the motor end and motor housing and someone could be hurt.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:09 PM   #10

When my Dometic awning wouldn't close this summer, I inserted the strap in the channel, pulled my pick up near the forward part of the awning and removed 2 hex head bolts while advising DW to hold on tight to the strap. (This is all per the Dometic instructions that came with the camper).
Nothing happened. The motor was frozen. I then, standing in the back of the truck, managed to manually roll the awning in (during a lightning storm) and then braced it so it wouldn't open on the way home.
Dealer later replaced the motor under my 2nd year FR warranty.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:52 PM   #11

This is a good video.

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:34 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Good video.
Here is Dometic manual on how to do it. Now it will be interesting if I can get my dealer to give me the strap as I did niot receive one with my RV.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...?do=file&id=14
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:42 PM   #13

We bought our trailer used. Initially no strap. We also did not get any of the manuals. The dealer said the original owners did not provide the manuals when they traded the trailer in. Then several months later, the dealer called & said the manuals had been turned in. They were in a large plastic pouch. Also in the pouch was the awning strap.

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:47 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerdog1 View Post
We bought our trailer used. Initially no strap. We also did not get any of the manuals. The dealer said the original owners did not provide the manuals when they traded the trailer in. Then several months later, the dealer called & said the manuals had been turned in. They were in a large plastic pouch. Also in the pouch was the awning strap.

Tuckerdog1
You r lucky. Visited my dealer today. Was told in specific terms.

"The strap is never provided because we don't get them from FR"

but I found it interesting that he knew all about the strap. Even after reading the Dometic brochure he said he had "never seen a strap". I pushed and said that was not my problem. He then said since my coach was 13 months old it was out of warranty.

I again pointed out that since he has admitted the strap did not come with my coach but the instructions they gave me clearly said the strap was "provided" that the error was General RV and not mine.

He eventually went and got approval to give me a strap.

Had also covered the "winterizing" hose fittings but he again said that part was never provided and it was my responsibility to properly winterize my coach. I asked if it was my fault that the low point drain valves were defective when new. He said yes. !!!!!!

I will be covering FR and General RV quality, or lack thereof in a separate post.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 10-05-2016, 08:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Good video.
Here is Dometic manual on how to do it. Now it will be interesting if I can get my dealer to give me the strap as I did niot receive one with my RV.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...?do=file&id=14
I didnt' get a strap, and off hand I don't remember seeing a manual in the packet from the dealer on the awning. I will check this weekend when we pick up the TT.
3 Border Collies
3 chickens a'laying
1 Wife
johnbro27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:16 AM   #16
Commercial Member

John, I suggest you print off the instruction sheet and take tot he dealer and show them the word "provided". Check for the strap and be sure to get one. It is Dometic P.N 940001 and dealer might have one in their parts dept.

Tags
awning, manual