Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #1

Jeep JKRU and 6504

We are considering either an R-Pod 176-T or Vibe and are looking for anyone that is or has used a Rubicon to tow a 6504. The size is just right, but the weight is at the max end and I'm concerned about power. The Rubi is at least a '13 so it has the better engine and lower gearing, but has 35's which offsets some of those benefits. We do not plan on replacing our Flex for a couple years so upgrading TVs is not an option at this point. I received some great feedback on the R-Pod owners forum and am hoping for the same on the Vibe.
Any insights would be greatly appreciated
Deno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
Site Team

from what i've read, the most any Jeep Wrangler/Rubicon is 3500lbs. with the factory tow package. and that's rated with only a 150lbs. driver in the Jeep.
unfortunately, you've picked the worst Vibe when it comes to CCC.
the 6504's GVWR exceedst that and it only has a CCC of 511lbs.
that 511lbs. has to include the weights of the battery, propane, water, cargo and the standard "options" that aren't included in the fictional "dry" weight.
things like the awning, spare tire, oven, microwave, a/c and so on.

you'll be lucky to have 50lbs. for cargo after subtracting all that and you'll be over the Jeep's 3500lbs. capacity.

tell you what, find a 6504 and read the yellow weight sticker on the side. that's its actual weight when it left the factory, including the weight of the "options".
then let me know if it's under the 3500 number of the Jeep, before you can add any cargo, water or battery.

if the Flex has the factory tow package, it'll be a better tow vehicle than the Jeep.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #3

Thank you for the quick note

You are correct on the #3,500 rating, unfortunately the Flex also has a #3,500 capacity. It doesn't have the tow package, but I believe I could add it (hitch, wiring, controller and trans cooler).

You've validated what I suspected, but didn't want to believe and needed to hear from another source. I have also added some aftermarket off-road items to my JK that will shrink all of the various capacities. I need to scale it as well.

Thanks again, bummer
Old 10-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
Site Team

personally, i think it a crime that FR sells a travel trailer with a CCC of only 511lbs., especially when it's targeted at the minivan/CUV crowd

i'd like to see someone who actually owns a 6504, post its actual yellow sticker weight, just to see how much over the brochure/website "dry" weight number it is and how much less the CCC ends up being.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 10-29-2013, 08:42 AM   #5
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
personally, i think it a crime that FR sells a travel trailer with a CCC of only 511lbs., especially when it's targeted at the minivan/CUV crowd

i'd like to see someone who actually owns a 6504, post its actual yellow sticker weight, just to see how much over the brochure/website "dry" weight number it is and how much less the CCC ends up being.
If I get a chance I will take a photo of the yellow sticker on my 2012 VIBE 6504, which came in with a dry weight of 3467 lbs and CCC of I believe 211 lbs. At the end of the day there is no way you can tow a 6504 with a mini van or any 3500 lb rated tow vehicle. You would exceed the tow limits of your vehicle once you factor in cargo, trailer accessories and even the add ons like a weight distribution hitch. I would suggest a minimum 5000 tow capacity rating to tow the 6504. The lighter units in this series (ie: the 6501) would likely be the only ones I would consider towing with a 3500 lb rated vehicle, although I would suggest that is even pushing the limits of the vehicle.

The other concern I had with my unit was the single axles are only rated at 3500 lbs. ( I have heard some of the newer units may be equipped with beefier axles). I would caution anyone looking at these units to understand the limitations if it is only equipped with a 3500 lb axle/rims/tires. I myself had a private trailer mfg. upgrade my unit with a 6000 lb rated axle.
Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan
pdchristensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdchristensen View Post
If I get a chance I will take a photo of the yellow sticker on my 2012 VIBE 6504, which came in with a dry weight of 3467 lbs and CCC of I believe 211 lbs.
if the numbers are correct, this proves my point. the 511lbs. CCC number is not counting the weights of standard "options", like the spare tire, awning, oven, microwave and so on. so apparently yours had 300lbs. of "options", that lowered the CCC.
my Roo 23SS had 400lbs. of this off of my CCC when it left the factory.

many newbies, especially those looking at trailers with a GVWR in the 3500lbs. neighborhood, fail to look at the CCC numbers.
nearly all trailer in this range, have very low CCC numbers, compared to other trailers and they don't take in consideration, the weights of the options that aren't included in the brochure/website "dry" numbers.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Quote:
many newbies, especially those looking at trailers with a GVWR in the 3500lbs. neighborhood, fail to look at the CCC numbers. nearly all trailer in this range, have very low CCC numbers, compared to other trailers and they don't take in consideration, the weights of the options that aren't included in the brochure/website "dry" numbers.
Yep - I was one of those "newbies", however I had the added complication of buying the trailer "online" from couches RV so it is not like I could walk up and read the yellow sticker. In hind sight I probably should have done some research so I could of asked the intelligent questions about the weight of the trailer, the axle ratings and the tow vehicle limitations. It all ended well though we are happy with our unit, upgraded axle and tow vehicle were part of our consequence for no due dilligence.
Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan
Old 10-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Read this related thread: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...4dr-49585.html

I think the newer Jeeps are rated at just a 2000 lb. tow capacity....even the Rubicons.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #9

True but I added the max tow package that took it up to 3,500
Old 10-30-2013, 12:03 AM   #10
Site Team

our best friends just bought a new Wrangler Sahara Edition and it has the max tow package and can tow 3500lbs.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #11
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
our best friends just bought a new Wrangler Sahara Edition and it has the max tow package and can tow 3500lbs.
Still would not recommend that type of vehicle to tow a Vibe 6504
Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan
Old 11-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdchristensen View Post
Still would not recommend that type of vehicle to tow a Vibe 6504
NO, i totally agree. for their Jeep, i'd only recommend a popup or Rpod type of trailer.
that short wheelbase, combined with pulling a 3500lbs. bread box thru the wind, is not something i'd be comfortable with.
i was just confirming the towing specs on the new ones.