Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2016, 06:59 AM   #1

Lack of heat in bunkhouse

Purchased a 2016 Vibe 322QBH in January at the show in Edison, N.J. First trip out in April (local campground in N.J.) the thermostat for the heater was set a 70 degrees overnight. Master bedroom was very warm (sweating) but the rear bunkhouse was a good 15 degrees cooler. Currently having the unit looked at for a blockage or kink in the duct. Service tech mentioned that it is not uncommon for the rear of the trailer to be cooler since the heater is located at the front of the trailer. (?) Anyone experience similar issues? This is my third trailer, but the first time I've had a situation like this. Thanks in advance.

Mike
msimonelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:45 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by msimonelli View Post
Purchased a 2016 Vibe 322QBH in January at the show in Edison, N.J. First trip out in April (local campground in N.J.) the thermostat for the heater was set a 70 degrees overnight. Master bedroom was very warm (sweating) but the rear bunkhouse was a good 15 degrees cooler. Currently having the unit looked at for a blockage or kink in the duct. Service tech mentioned that it is not uncommon for the rear of the trailer to be cooler since the heater is located at the front of the trailer. (?) Anyone experience similar issues? This is my third trailer, but the first time I've had a situation like this. Thanks in advance.

Mike

I like to keep a small space heater in bunkhouse to help keep it warm. We have same issue. Warm up front and warm/chilly (not freezing) in back.
Bdcclc05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:05 PM   #3

Lack of heat in bunkhouse

Not happy. Service department at Camping World says heating duct is not blocked or kinked. Apparently a manufacturing issue. That sucks when you purchase a trailer listed at $41000.00 to accommodate at 1 year old! Guess I gotta buy a space heater for the cool nights. Gotta find a safe one so she doesnt burn herself. Hey FR how about reimbursing me for it. Hopefully the air conditioning with the unit centered on the roof doesn't cause the same problem. I'll really be pissed. Hope this helps others.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdcclc05 View Post
I like to keep a small space heater in bunkhouse to help keep it warm. We have same issue. Warm up front and warm/chilly (not freezing) in back.

Same here couldn't keep the kids warm so I have a safe space heater there and turn the main thermostat down.
Tadi Brothers 9" Wireless 120 degree Rear Cam
2015 Nights Camped: 4
2016 Nights Camped: 8
hazmat91180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:11 PM   #5
CDR USN Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by msimonelli View Post

Mike
When a forced-air heating system provides over-all sufficient heat but does not keep all spaces at desired temperature, the problem is generally unbalanced distribution of the forced air - the overheated space gets too much and the thermostat satisfies before the underheated space warm sufficiently. Your home has registers and/or dampers that allow the HVAC contractor to adjust the air flow room-by-room to overcome this problem. RVs generally do not, and no attempt is made by manufacturer's to balance airflow.

The position of the actual furnace is of no concern and your service tech is obviously HVAC system design illiterate.

Next time you use the system try blocking off some of the master bedroom's supply air grill. Just tape a piece of paper or thin plastic (think side of milk jug) over part of the supply grill. Through a little trial-and-error, you should reach a happy point where both the master bedroom and the bunkhouse heat up equally. Once you've found the happy point, unscrew the grill, move the block to the underside, and replace the grill.

Side point - blocking grills reduces the air flowing not only through THAT grill, but reduces the total air flowing through the furnace (the duct pressure increases and the volume of air flowing in the total system decreases). If you block too much, the furnace can start "cycling" on its high temperature limit.

Another thing to keep in mind, for even temperature control, every supply-air grill must have a clear, unobstructed path for air to flow from the supply grill to the return grill.

A hint to RV manufacturers - use supply air registers vice supply air grills, and if your design people do not know the difference get them trained.

Alfa Delta Two Eight
DSQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:15 PM   #6

Seen on another thread - use a marine bulge blower, runs on 12 volts and 3 or 4 inches diameter. All you have to do is find a place to install inline.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:17 PM   #7

Duct heat blockage??

We had a similar problem years ago. The dealer likes to tell you that there's no blockage because they do not want to go under the bed of the camper and check it out. I am not trying to be cynical, but l would doubt if Camping World even checked out the duct blockage????? Just my thought!
fkwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:16 AM   #8

I'm seeing a lot of issues with the blocked/kinked duct work for the heater. How difficult is it to look at the duct work covered by the underbelly material. How do I remove and replace the underbelly?
Old 05-07-2016, 02:14 PM   #9

There are screws holding the underbelly up. I just took them out and look under with a flashlight however; it is difficult and will take some time. I now have a 2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite with a bunk house. My heating system works fine in the back. I'm not saying that you have a kink in the hose or anything but you could. My heating unit is towards the middle of the camper however. I have found that most dealers do not want to fool with something like this and will tell you anything to keep you happy.
fkwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:24 PM   #10

No heat in bunkhouse

I've got a 42' 5th, with a rear bunkhouse and had the same problem. Front heater and 4 outlets; one in front bedroom, one in bathroom, one in combo dining/living room, and one in the bunkhouse. I simply went to Lowe's and purchased some adjustable registers that fit perfectly. When it's fairly cold out, I close the front three and it forces the bulk of the air to the rear, but there is enough leakage at the others that the whole trailer warms pretty evenly. There is a door to the bunkhouse room which we must keep open, otherwise it would get too warm in the back. We've not really had any problem since I changed out the registers. We have a three year old in the back and he stays toasty warm. We have an electric heater in the combo room, but if you leave it on it would activate the thermostat and leave the bunkhouse cool. We can turn the electric heater on in the morning once we are up and about. Hope that helps.
John Hendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:12 AM   #11

Thanks for the replies and information. I'll look at the underbelly again this weekend. If no blockage I might try changing the registers before cutting the duct work.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:47 PM   #12
I go RV'ing not Camping

I was thinking to try running the a/c fan on low with the furnace to see if that might help spread the air more evenly. It would take the air in the dinning room which is hottest as it pumps directly from the furnace and then blow it out the roof vents. At least that is the theory

Has anyone had success with that?

Or does it not work?
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:14 AM   #13

Lack of heat in bunkhouse update

Thought I would provide an update in the event others are having a similar issue. Forest River has agreed to have Camping World remove the underbelly of my trailer to look for an additional 8 ft. of heating duct that may have been installed (apparently they have had similar issues). Why they didn't tell me that earlier I don't know. If that is the problem hopefully they can correct it. If not Forest River will review my request to have the inline fan installed to enhance air flow. Hope the weather warms up. Enjoy the season.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:21 PM   #14

We had the exact same problem. There was no air flow from the duct in the bunkhouse. Took it to the dealer and they took the bottom off the trailer and removed a lot of excess duct work. It is much better but the bunk house is still cooler than the rest of the trailer. Going to see about blocking off the other ducts and see if that helps next time out but will bring an extra heater next time we are camping in the colder weather at least when we have electricity. Hopefully they fix it for you.
Vibe28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:54 AM   #15

Update on the heat issue

Forrest River authorized Camping World (Lakewood, N.J.) to remove the underbelly and check for excessive duct work in the trailer. CW service department removed approximately 3 feet of excessive duct work and rerouted the remaining to minimize curves and increase air flow. Definitely notice stronger air flow from the vent in the bunkhouse. No inline fan installed. The true test will be during the trips in the fall months when I use the heater.
Note: CW Lakewood service department seems to have done a nice job with the repairs of my factory quality control issues. Their reviews are not that flattering but the craftsmanship seems adequate. Still slow on responding to messages but repairs seem ok.

Mike
Old 06-28-2016, 10:51 AM   #16
I go RV'ing not Camping

So I feel like I have solved the cold bunkroom issue I was experiencing. We have started to run the a/c fan on low all night long (great white noise for the girls to stay sleeping) and then the furnace kicks in and out at it's leisure. I still have an electric heater in the bunkroom as a backup and the past few nights the bunkroom has stayed rock steady at 72 degrees.

The other side benefit is that the bunkroom or front bedroom doesn't get stuffy because the air that is getting cycled into the room from the a/c ducting.

very pleased with this turn of events for us, because before the trailer was all over the place just running on the furnace alone, either too hot or too cold.

Hope that helps,
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:17 AM   #17

Finally think (hope) the heat issue is fixed. Forest River authorized Camping World (Lakewood, N.J.) to drop the underbelly. CW removed 3 ft of excessive duct and rerouted the remaining to eliminate curves. I notice an increase in air flow thru the vent. We will learn more in the fall when I need the heater.
Note: CW Lakewood service department reviews are not the best. However, the craftsmanship of the work done was very good. Customer service lacks as far as returning calls/emails, but the work performed and repairs were up to par.

Tags
bunk, bunkhouse