Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2016, 03:12 PM   #1

Looking for Reviews - Prospective Buyer

Hello all!

Hoping some of you might be able to help me out. My wife and I have recently gotten very interested in following through with our desire to purchase a travel trailer. Over the last few weeks we have been beating up the Internet and local dealerships. While reviewing everything today we stumbled on a local dealership that has the Vibe line, one we hadn't seen before from other dealerships. They have a couple of models they are looking to unload at decent prices, looking for reviews!

FR Vibe 287QBS - About $24k out the door
FR Vibe 309BHS - About $26k out the door

Both units come pretty well configured. Looking to see if there are any negatives to these units that we should redflag.

Also, my tow vehicle concerns me with these, wanted input. I've not pulled anything in this truck before, nor ever had to do the math to figure out if I can or SHOULD pull something.

2014 GMC Sierra 1500
Tow Package
V8 5.3L Engine
3.42 Ratio
Max Trailer Weight - 9,600lbs
Max Tongue Weight - 1,200lbs

Both trailers show to be technically doable with my truck, but I want to make sure they are COMFORTABLE to drive, not just 'legal'. The dealership is throwing in a Reese WDH w/ Sway, and my truck already has the brake control built in.

The 308BHS, per FR website:
Hitch - 708lbs
UVW - 7334lbs
Length - 36'9"

The 287QBS, per FR website:
Hitch - 772lbs
UVW - 5797lbs
Length - 34'9"

Any opinions from those that own these models, I would very much appreciate it!

Also, anyone that can give me their thoughts on TV capabilities, I would also love to hear what you have to say!

Thanks!

Brad
bmhicks78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 03:25 PM   #2

What does the yellow tire sticker on the driver side door jam say as a max amount of cargo you can carry? From there add the trailer tongu weight plus 15% for what weight you add to the trailer, add passengers, animals, gear, WD hitch weight, fuel and see if you are over that number on the sticker. This is what is known as your available payload and it will get you before anything else.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 03:32 PM   #3

1736 max cargo weight.

Figuring a full tank of gas, 2 dogs and 4 adults...probably right around that weight. I know that they build in a slight buffer, so not sure I should be concerned.

As far as 'gear', I don't really see keeping anything in the truck except people and dogs. All of the other stuff can go in the trailer. I figure about 1000lbs of cargo in the trailer max (food, clothes, camping stuff, bikes, etc).

So...still showing that I'm within tolerances...but not by much.

Safe?
Comfortable?
Doable?
Old 04-03-2016, 03:58 PM   #4

You will be very close if not over GVWR. I towed a Rockwood 2604WS with my F150. Did not have the heavy duty tow package. It was 30' and very close to the 287 but shorter. I towed from Fl to Canada and in between with no problems and felt very comfortable. I was towing heavy. If I were you I would not go for the 308. You have to make the call.

Many people on here are comfortable being a little heavy (I am one) but the weight police will be along any minute...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:08 PM   #5

Those are a lot of trailer for a half ton, especially length wise. A whole lot of surface area to push around a relatively light truck with high gears. I pull my 268RKS with a Ram 1500 and even with a Sway Pro hitch it catches a big of a push from semis and large SUVs. Not a totally unreasonable setup but there are probably going to be moments in the mountains you wish you had a little lighter load.
mopar04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:47 PM   #6
I go RV'ing not Camping

The 309bhs is going to be too much trailer for your truck. The 287qbs should be just fine
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar04 View Post
Those are a lot of trailer for a half ton, especially length wise. A whole lot of surface area to push around a relatively light truck with high gears. I pull my 268RKS with a Ram 1500 and even with a Sway Pro hitch it catches a big of a push from semis and large SUVs. Not a totally unreasonable setup but there are probably going to be moments in the mountains you wish you had a little lighter load.
You sayin' I ain't man enough! Just kidding.

I am quickly coming to agreement through a lot of Internet research that the 308 is just not a smart decision. Might be fine in Arizona on flat land, but in the hills of Western PA and WV, not a good decision.

The 287QBS is smaller than the 268RKS in all weight areas, so I assume it would be fine with my 1500 since you can pull the 268 with your Dodge 1/2 ton. Not a knock on Dodge! Good information on the length though, I will keep that in consideration.

Appreciate the feedback from everyone on TV capabilities.

So....anyone have the 287QBS and have anything good or bad to say about it?
Old 04-04-2016, 12:55 PM   #8

Don't have one, but would look seriously at the cabinet & wardrobe space. It seems to have fewer cabinet/storage than average. If it's all you need, no problem. Just be careful.. it's the one thing that's hard to add!

hotzfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:04 PM   #9

We had the same dilemma. A larger trailer or the 2703WS to be comfortable driving. We decided to be comfortable.

Marty
2011 Ford F150 EB/ Tow Package 3.55 Rear
2016 Rockwood 2703WS
Martsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 02:57 PM   #10

I have a 16' 308BHS. I towed it from Grand Rapids, MI to Oklahoma with my 2012 F-150 Ecoboost. No problems. However, I knew that I wasn't going to be towing very often at all as we're setup in a RV spot on a lake with our boat.

Btw, The dealer I use can most likely get you a better deal that those figures on your Vibe. PM me if you want contact info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getsum is offline   Reply With Quote