Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #1

My freshed water tank just dropped on the ground while filling it.

So there I was setting up at the campground, filling my fresh water tank. Suddenly, a loud noise, and one side of my fresh water tank dropped to the ground. It broke my drain valve off, tore OSS another connection, and pulled the connecting hose clamp off of the underside. This was followed shortly by the other side dropping.

This is a new VIBE 6504 out on our fourth trip. There is just over 1000 miles of towing time on it with no rough treatment.

The dealership ship is going to have a very unhappy caller early tomorrow morning.

Has anyone else ever heard of this?

It looks as if the tank was just held up by angle iron on the sides and no bands or straps going under it.

I wonder how this will get turned in under the warranty.

Just glad I wasn't going down the highway when it gave loose.

Rich

POd in the greenbrier valley of WV
ke4pnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
Site Team

Man, that's crazy. Good luck.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #3
MI Camperz

No doubt re: going down the road. Sorry to hear this happened.
Let us know how your warranty claim develops.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #4

Sorry to hear about your fresh water tank Rich. Don't think I'd want to be on the other side of your phone call tomorrow morning. Can't blame you a bit for being PO'd. Hope dealer comes thru for ya. Keep us posted.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #5

Well, just talked to the service manager at the dealership. He was as confused and surprised as I was. Told me to clip the sensor wires in the middle, disconnect the hose to the pump and bring the trailer to him when we get done with the trip.

I hope it is an easy fix. We have really enjoyed our VIBE and don't want to start hating it.

I'll keep you informed on this misadventure.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke4pnj View Post
So there I was setting up at the campground, filling my fresh water tank. Suddenly, a loud noise, and one side of my fresh water tank dropped to the ground. It broke my drain valve off, tore OSS another connection, and pulled the connecting hose clamp off of the underside. This was followed shortly by the other side dropping.

This is a new VIBE 6504 out on our fourth trip. There is just over 1000 miles of towing time on it with no rough treatment.

The dealership ship is going to have a very unhappy caller early tomorrow morning.

Has anyone else ever heard of this?

It looks as if the tank was just held up by angle iron on the sides and no bands or straps going under it.

I wonder how this will get turned in under the warranty.

Just glad I wasn't going down the highway when it gave loose.

Rich

POd in the greenbrier valley of WV
Sorry to hear about your problem.
Are you at Shaver's Fork Campground or Revelle's? We're heading that way tomorrow and wondered if the storms the last few days have done much damage to that area?

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:05 AM   #7

We are at the Greenbrier river campground near alderson. There are a few trees down in the area but not bad. Weather this morning is a sunny 68. Some thunderstorms thus evening and then sunny in mid 70s. 50s at night.

Where are you staying?
Old 06-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #8

Well, the warranty claim has been approved and the new tank is on order. The old one was cracked at the inlet connection when it dropped out. I have asked the dealership to install additional straps under the tank when they reinstall it.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #9

Not as bad as your story but our first trip out I thought I had all the bugs out. I flushed the tanks and made sure the heater, pumps, faucets, drains etc. were all working and no leaks. The morning we were leaving I filled the freshwater tank to find it leaked when it was about half full. A fitting formed into the tank was pulled loose and I couldnt repair it. A half a tank worked but I called the dealer and he ordered a new tank immediately. All is well now.
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:01 AM   #10

Sorry to hear about your trailer. Less than a month ago a guy mentioned on the Jayco forum that he had the same thing happen. He was driving down the road when another motorist motioned that he had a problem. He was able to fix it well enough to limp home. The coroplast covering kept it from falling on the ground. The factory told him that it is just the angle iron cross members that keep it in place and the aluminum strapping is mainly for the benefit of the install. I've read lots of posts over the years and these are the only two that I've ever read about where this has happened. It would be interesting if the tanks came from the same supplier. possibly the flanges are not engineered thick or wide enough. I suspect a small percent drive with full water tanks. It wouldn't surprise me for us to see more if this is the cause. Good luck in the future.
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #11

Man, who builds these thing!
MN_Outdoors is offline   Reply With Quote