Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #1

New Guy - New Trailer

Hello V-Cross forum!

My wife and I just got a new TT, a 20VFB and are really looking forward to camping this year.

We've owned tent trailers in the past, but bought a new F-150 last fall so we decided to "upgrade" to a hard wall.

Although it's a great trailer, I'm already looking at a few mods; hinges and gas shocks for the storage under the bed and a way to make access under the couch easier for storage.

I've also noticed that the majority of the storage is on the very rear of the trailer and the fresh water tank (huge!) is behind the axels; will this mean when the trailer is loaded there will be less tongue weight? (To me it seems like a lever with the majority of the weight on the backside of the fulcrum)

Also, he's a pic of some chocks I built today, I've seen factory built ones before and thought, I can do that!

RancheroMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #2
(Kim)

And that's a nice bit of handy-work you did!!!!!
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #3

Not bad. I would have never thought of that.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:29 PM   #4
Site Team

the home-built chocks are quite popular. i built some for my HTT. the plans are available quite easily.
i've seen the plans and other home-built ones, on many other RV forums.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:39 AM   #5
camping

WELCOME to the forum!! enjoy the new camper

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:27 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by RancheroMan View Post
I've also noticed that the majority of the storage is on the very rear of the trailer and the fresh water tank (huge!) is behind the axels; will this mean when the trailer is loaded there will be less tongue weight? (To me it seems like a lever with the majority of the weight on the backside of the fulcrum)

Also, he's a pic of some chocks I built today, I've seen factory built ones before and thought, I can do that!
Welcome to the Forum and Nice job on the chocks!

As to weight and balance on the tounge weight you are right about how your load distribution affects it. Where is your slide (if any) and kitchen on your camper. They are notoriously heavy and the storage/water location could have been taken into account by the design engineer to offset the weight of the kitchen and slide. Then again ...

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:47 AM   #7

to the Forum!!
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Control
brentnrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:45 AM   #8
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Welcome! Hope you enjoy many hours of camping in your new v-cross!

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentcamper1 View Post
WELCOME to the forum!! enjoy the new camper
X2!!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #10

Welcome! It would appear that you are going to be a person with lots to share with the group...looking forward to it.
2008 Honda Ridgeline
Camping in 2011 =43
socref01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:26 PM   #11

Welcome from Ontario Canada. Sorry I didn't see this post earlier but I have been a tad busy. Nice work on the wheel chocks. We only use the plastic storebought type but that looks like a much better system. Don't tell my wife or I will have more to do. Anyway, glad to have you here and keep the ideas coming. it is nice to see other people's ideas at work. Old Guys
Old 05-11-2011, 08:46 AM   #12

Hi my name is Greg. I just purchased 2012 30wfkss. I am trading in 36 foot class A. This is the first TT I have owned. I noticed in old guys reply his picture had what looks like a chevy avalanche pulling his v cross. Just wondering what size trailer. And what kind of hitch he is using. I have a 2002 chevy avalanche z71. 4wd with 5.3 L v8. I am not worried about trailer weight. It's within limits. But I am worried about tongue weight.
Greg Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:20 AM   #13

Welcome to the site. I like the chocks you built. I just built a set myself this past weekend. They do make a difference in the movement of the camper.

Greg Wood, you will need to look into a WDH W/Sway control, it makes all the difference in the world. Get one that fit's the tongue weight of the TT. You should be able to find that info on the TT.
2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:49 PM   #14

Thank you for the information. The dealer said that they will set my truck up to be safe to pull it. But would like to know myself before they install anything.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:50 PM   #15

Hi Greg. It is a 2007 Avalanche LT, 4wd., 5.3 liter with (if I remember correctly) 373 gears in the rear. We tow a 27vfks v-cross with a door sticker that says the trailers dry weight is 5738 lbs. and we use a 10,000 lb equalizer four point weight distributing hitch. This hitch has built in sway control. We have towed the trailer from Ontario Canada to Florida and also to the Maritime Provinces via the Gaspe region of Quebec. We had to have the rear end rebuilt on the way back from Nova Scotia but that was because the pinion bearing broke and went into the differential. It was all under warranty and they said it wasn't caused by the trailer as we were at least 1500 lbs under max. gcvw. We have just returned from Branson and averaged 9mph. going against strong winds and a more usual 10mph. coming home with little wind. The trailer behaved quite well as far as sway goes, even in gusty winds, so I guess the built in sway control works okay. We are quite happy with our Equalizer but your dealer may not handle them. We were originally looking for a Centreline Hitch by Husky but we bought in the U.S. and they did not handle that brand. They work on a torsion bar system as well but are a fair bit more expensive so for us it saved us money and worked out well. Good luck with whatever you chose. Old Guys
Old 05-11-2011, 09:18 PM   #16

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new trailer. Hope you have a great camping season!
2 Wilderness Systems Kayaks
Nights Spent Camping in 2011 (19), 2012 (16)
https://www.armadillotimes.com
HondoPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:14 AM   #17

Thanks old guys. That was the information that I was needing. My truck is built the same and the dealer is recommending a 10,000 lb wdh with sway control. I live in southern Missouri so if you just left Branson you know the kind of hills I will be pulling through. I was kind of worried about getting a TT. Always had a class A. But we really do like this V cross. Thanks again for all of the information. Greg
Old 05-21-2011, 06:24 AM   #18

Thanks old guys for the help. Brought our trailer home yesterday and it pulled great with the hitch they set me up with. WDH with anti-sway with 1200 lb bars. I was kind of worried at first. But had no problem at all. Think we are going to love it. Doubt I will ever go back to a class A.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:58 AM   #19

*** Update ***

We had the new trailer out on her maiden voyage last weekend. No surprises, everything worked well and the Wife really appreciated the bathroom (we've always had tent trailers before). This trailer is defiantly the biggest trailer I've towed before so that was a bit of new experience. We had some very stiff winds driving down to the park and back, and had some observations. With the fresh water tank full (which sits behind the axles) the trailer had some sway in the 40-50 Km/h gusts, but nothing unmanageable. Towing home with the tank empty cut the swaying in half.

After some consideration, and calculating the number of hours we'll eventually have towing this trailer, we decided a WD hitch that has great sway control will be a worthy investment. I picked up a Reese Pro SC 800 on Friday and will attempt the install over the weekend. I've heard nothing but good about this hitch and am looking forward to the results! I'll try to remember to take some pictures and post another thread of the install.

A small story of our trip down of my forgetfulness: When changing highways on our way down to the park, I pulled over to do a quick walk around the truck and trailer, checking for loose doors, tire heat, light re-check, just a quick once over. When I got around to the TT door, I noticed water dripping from under the door. I know I didn't turn the pump on but was concerned about the source of the leak. When I got in the trailer water was everywhere on the floor, thankfully the entire trailer is lino. After checking under the sinks and not finding the source of the water, I glanced over at the cooler on the floor and new instantly what had happened. The ice was melting and I forgot to close the drain plug on the cooler!!! The wife and I quickly mopped up the water and were on our way again........laughing at my forgetfulness!
RancheroMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:48 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Wood View Post
Thanks old guys. That was the information that I was needing. My truck is built the same and the dealer is recommending a 10,000 lb wdh with sway control. I live in southern Missouri so if you just left Branson you know the kind of hills I will be pulling through. I was kind of worried about getting a TT. Always had a class A. But we really do like this V cross. Thanks again for all of the information. Greg
Hi Greg and welcome to the forum.
Yes...OLD GUYS was one of the fine folks at the 1st FROG Rally in Branson a few weeks ago.
There are 3 of us FROGS here in the NE Oklahoma area and are planning an outing June 8 to 12 at MarVal RV Resort near Gore, Ok. and another outing at Natural Falls State Park near West Siloam Springs, Ok. in July.
If you can...please join us at either or both outings.

BOB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0148.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	5905  
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote

« Alarm | 245vrd »