Old 09-12-2016, 02:02 PM   #1

New member, new camper, new Vibe 286RKS

Just like the title says, I'm new to RV'ing and my lovely wife and I just signed the papers for a 2017 268RKS last night, after a couple of months of searching/looking/learning/agonizing. This forum (and rv.net) were very helpful and I want to thank everyone who has written about their experiences and upgrades/mods in advance. It gave me the little extra confidence to look over our unit carefully and feel we've picked out a decent RV.

I'm a lifelong sailor and a few years ago we sold our 45' sloop which we had wonderful experiences in cruising in Washington and British Columbia. But for various reasons those days are over and we're looking forward to the RV as a kind of substitute way to get out and enjoy the outdoors year round. Because boats and RVs have so much in common I'm not as worried about repairs and maintenance as perhaps I should be.

We should be picking it up sometime in the next couple of weeks so with luck we'll have decent weather for our first few outings. There's always sun in Eastern Washington so I expect we'll be heading over at least until the passes get snowy.

Old 09-12-2016, 04:43 PM   #2

Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your new Vibe 286RKS.

Link to pics:http://s1340.photobucket.com/user/Wi...?sort=4&page=1
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:59 PM   #3
Georgia Frog Rally 2017

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your up coming purchase of a new vibe. Make sure to do a good PDI and take lots of notes. Consider the 2nd year warranty offered by FR ask your sales person as they will not volunteer the info and it's cheap. And welcome to the world of RVing. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2015--46
Days booked for 2016--60 missed by 2
Days camped in 2016 58
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:46 PM   #4

Congrats on the the new rig. We picked up our Vibe a few weeks back and other than a handful of minor issues we have been satisfied and having a great time. Good luck!
Old 09-13-2016, 03:03 PM   #5

Got our PDI date!

Thanks...just heard the PDI is scheduled for Thursday the 22nd, so I'm excited to take delivery. There's a local campground about 15 minutes away (just a county park with hookups but no sewer dump) and I think we might try a night there as a shakedown.

This reminds me of boats: there's so MUCH stuff you have to buy initially to get it up to snuff. At least I don't have to pay marina fees when it's parked in my pasture!
Old 09-13-2016, 03:27 PM   #6

Welcome to land surfing from Lancaster PA!

Camped
2016 - 21 nights
2017 - ??
Life is great is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:00 PM   #7

Your sailing experience will serve you well - maintence, meal planning/prep, space organization, etc. We also made the switch.

You are so right about no marina fees when sitting idle!
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:29 PM   #8

Welcome from SC and congrats on your nice rig. Just got back from a visit in your area, would Love to have my camper and a month to explore that beautiful country.
Safe travels

It's a nice night for an evening
woodpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Your sailing experience will serve you well - maintence, meal planning/prep, space organization, etc. We also made the switch.

You are so right about no marina fees when sitting idle!
Yeah, totally. And West Marine... (stuck my head in yesterday to look at battery cut off switches and AGM batteries; boy howdy is that stuff expensive. No way RV stores can be worse.)

Don't get me wrong, I really would love to do more sailing. But the fact is, even with a fairly fast sailboat, even leaving Friday night and returning Sunday night for a weekend getaway, the number of options I had from my marina in Seattle was pretty small and I have done all of them over and over and they tend to be pretty crowded. Anything else required at least a week and preferably 2 weeks. So I could maybe pull that off once or twice a year. [sad face]

With the TT, that same Friday night-Sunday night adventure can take me anywhere within a couple of hundred miles going 50-60 mph on a highway. And within that range--just looking at campgrounds and parks (not even talking about boondocking yet)--there are dozens and dozens of places, further multiplied by the mobility of the TV while the camper is parked at the site. And with those same 2 weeks or so we can hit Yosemite or Yellowstone or BC or...

Really getting excited about this.
3 Border Collies
3 chickens a'laying
1 Wife
johnbro27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:53 PM   #10

Congrats on your new vibe and welcome to the forum

Clancy vibe272bhs

Tags
camper, vibe