Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2016, 09:15 PM   #1

New Vibe 272BHS Slide Won't Extend

Hello all!

We are the proud owners of a brand new 2016 Vibe 272BHS, but unfortunately we haven't even headed out on our first camping trip and we are already having a problem. We wen't to clean it out today after transporting it half-way across the country, and the slide won't extend. I made sure tho check everything out at the dealership, and there were no issues with the slide whatsoever. We also extended the slide 4-5 times over the past two weeks to show the trailer off to friends with no issues.

When I press the "Slide Out" button from inside of the trailer today, no noise is heard and nothing happens. When I press the slide out button from the wireless remote that came with the trailer, a single "clicking" sound is heard, which I tracked down to the circuit breaker panel that is awkwardly placed behind the lower kitchen cabinets, and behind the trash receptacle. Once again, only a click when I press "slide out" on the remote, and then another small click when I let go of the button, and the slide doesn't move.

Any ideas on what could be causing this on a brand new trailer? is there a circuit breaker on that panel dedicated specifically to the slide that I can check out, or is there a reset button somewhere else between the battery and the slide? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
KKreutz32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:24 PM   #2

I will also add that I have checked the battery indicator panel and it is indicating full (dual battery setup). Additionally, the trailer is parked on a slight angle away from the slide on our street, but I don't think that should really have anything to do with it.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:50 PM   #3

I would check your fuses and if they all pass the test check your wiring terminations in between the electrical panel and the motor for the slide. Sounds like the relay is changing positions but no power is being received by the motor for the slide.
mopar04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKreutz32 View Post
I will also add that I have checked the battery indicator panel and it is indicating full (dual battery setup). Additionally, the trailer is parked on a slight angle away from the slide on our street, but I don't think that should really have anything to do with it.
The battery meter is checking for available voltage and not amperage. You can have enough voltage and a little amperage that will allow small draw things like lights and radio to work, but not enough for something like the slide or power jack. You said you extended the slide 4 or 5 times, that means you retracted it that many times also. I would still suspect the batteries if you are not connected to shore power. I would connect that first to ensure the batteries are fully charged.

On another note, I would not extend the slide unless the trailer is level first.

AL
1997 F-350 CC PSD
BigHomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:37 PM   #5

Did the same thing with the slide (showing friends) and was using battery power. Last time doesn't work. Plugged in the shore power and Wa La.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:56 PM   #6

Thank you for all of the tips.... With the help of another thread on this Forum, I was able to locate the fuse panel behind the kitchen cabinets (also behind the trash receptacle), and found the 30 AMP fuse for the slide. Turns out the fuse was blown..... got a new one at the store this afternoon, popped it in and the problem was solved.

From this experience, I plan on purchasing an assortment of fuses to have on hand with this trailer. I have never had one blow in any of my vehicles, but from what I have read, it seems that Travel Trailers are a little different.

I am assuming that this most likely happened when I retracted the slide the last time (at that point it had been sitting still for 12 days and I had extended the slide on battery power 3-4 times). I was just surprised to have the issue yesterday, because I had just completed a 13 hour tow the day before this incident from Phoenix to Sacramento. From what I was told the car charges the batteries on the trailer when in motion, so the batteries should have been more than good to go!

For my knowledge, how often does this happen on these trailers? Is it frowned upon to move the slide on battery power, or just if you do it multiple times? Thanks again for any tips....
Old 04-21-2016, 06:37 PM   #7

Slide motors/drive systems are known for excessive draw on the battery. Many owners manuals recommend plugging into the post/generator first. Depending on age/charge in the battery you could get the slide out/in a couple of times. If you are going to plug into your house to charge the battery be sure to ground the TT frame - house wiring has ground and neutral tied together and TT tires isolate the frame (normally grounded/separate from neutral at the post) from ground.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:39 PM   #8

And, you might want to locate your power tongue jack fuse ahead of time. It is also 30 amp.

AL
1997 F-350 CC PSD
BigHomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:09 PM   #9

D.J. - I'm new to all of this. I plug my tt into my garage outlet to charge. What do I need to do to ground my tt frame? thanks - cincia

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. J. Schuler View Post
Slide motors/drive systems are known for excessive draw on the battery. Many owners manuals recommend plugging into the post/generator first. Depending on age/charge in the battery you could get the slide out/in a couple of times. If you are going to plug into your house to charge the battery be sure to ground the TT frame - house wiring has ground and neutral tied together and TT tires isolate the frame (normally grounded/separate from neutral at the post) from ground.
I have a 30amp plug at my house do I still need to ground the TT when plugged in?
Old 04-29-2016, 03:03 PM   #11
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincia View Post
D.J. - I'm new to all of this. I plug my tt into my garage outlet to charge. What do I need to do to ground my tt frame? thanks - cincia
Shouldn't need to ground anything....if that was required, everyone at every campground would be having a no charge problem....my trailer is on a 20 amp circuit and is doing just fine..
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:04 PM   #12
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
I have a 30amp plug at my house do I still need to ground the TT when plugged in?
NO! If you have a volt meter, hook up to battery....disconnect from house...let sit a bit...take a reading at battery....re-connect to house..take another reading.....if battery is discharged a little, you'll see a higher reading on the meter...meaning, the convertor is work'n just fine..
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:44 PM   #13

Thanks Bob. Looked all over and could not find anything saying I have to ground my TT
Old 04-29-2016, 05:06 PM   #14

thanks Bob, I'm in my tt all the time at home so glad to hear that its fine plugging in to garage. cincia

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:54 PM   #15

Another Issue Now.....

So here is an update on this..... no issues with the Slide over the past week. We went on our first trip this weekend, and once again no issues; had to extend the slide on Friday afternoon and Saturday afternoon because we had to switch locations (no 30 amp plug at the first location). Used Battery power on Friday, and 30 Amp power on Saturday. This morning.... we packed up and left to head home and retracted the slide with the 30 AMP.... no issues.

Got the trailer back home, and as we went to extend the slide, once again it wouldn't extend. Made the same sound as the issue the first time, so obviously I immediately suspected the 30 AMP fuse. Low and behold, pulled the fuse and it was fine this time. Swapped to two separate fuses.... slide won't extend. Tried power from the garage via an adapter to the 30 AMP, Battery power (indicating full), and with the car running via the trailer connection.... no luck. The awning and jacks work with no issue, leading me to believe this is not a 30 AMP fuse issue....

Any other ideas?? The only thing I can think of at this point would be connecting to 30 or 50 amp power at a campground to see what happens, but I am not sure if that will make a difference. We are frustrated to say the least.... really didn't intend to have to drop this thing at a dealer after just one use!!

POSITIVE NOTE... We had a great time this weekend!
Old 05-01-2016, 06:47 PM   #16

Glad you had a good time. I would look in to getting a 30 Amp plug installed at your house (if feasible) The 30 amp cable on your TT has large wire (no resistance) you lose that while using a smaller gauge extension cord. Plus I would have the battery/ies checked
Old 05-06-2016, 07:50 PM   #17

Kkruetz 32. Thanks for reporting back on problem. My guess as to why the fuse blew is because the batteries were weak from using/sitting. Power=volts *amps. If the motor pulls 120 watts at 10A and 12V, if the voltage on the battery drops to 10v, then the motor will pull 12 amps atb10v to get 120 watts of power, which would blow a 10 amp fuse.

Kennesaw, Georgia
Toolman_GA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, vibe