Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2018, 09:05 PM   #1

No power to awning switch

Lost power to awning switch while camping. I can jump the awning and bypass the switch with success. Checked fuses and they look fine. I am able to use the awning via the tablet for now, which tells me there is a second power source to the awning.

Is there a second breaker panel in the Vibe? Any other suggestions on wiring short somewhere to the switch? Thanks in advance.
Living-in-the-Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:16 PM   #2
Site Team

With some of the remote capable devices, if you use the remote to extend them/turn them on, you need to use the remote to retract them/ turn them off.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:13 PM   #3

No power to awning switch

Thanks FlyBob. I see your point, unfortunately I never use the tablet, it just sits in its case. I only used the tablet to test the theory of redundancy controls for the awning, which fortunately its true. Still looking for the gremlin that cut the power to the awning switch.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:25 PM   #4
Site Team

The power to the remote receiver is separate from the power to the switch, as you've discovered.

How are you bypassing the switch?
Old 06-15-2018, 03:49 PM   #5

Removing the control panel, I disconnected the awning switch connectors and jumped them with the car battery. Reversed polarity to verify the motor worked both ways. It did. then I reconnected everything and jumped the main power to the switch to verify it was not the culprit. It wasn't , the switched still worked as designed.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:09 PM   #6
Site Team

Sounds like you have a fuse to find. The slide fuses aren't usually in the main power panel, they're usually near the battery. It may be a reset-able breaker also.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:33 PM   #7

Control Panel - Secondary Fuse Box

The folks at Forest River responded to my request for an electrical schematic - while one is not available, they let me know where it was located.

The secondary Fuse box that runs the control panel is located underneath sink, behind the drawers on the outside wall. It can be seen from the Trash Can compartment.

I found this picture of the panel on another conversation string.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...4&d=1445179836
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2018, 12:49 PM   #8

I’m not very good at finding topics on the forum. I am hopeful that somebody might be able to give me some help with my awning problem by posting it here. If this is the wrong place to post any guidance is appreciated.

I have a 2017 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Hathaway Edition. The awning just quit working. I believe it may be an electrical problem but can’t find any fuses or breakers related to the awning. Does anyone have information on the breakers or fuses for this awning?
mecapeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecapeman View Post
I’m not very good at finding topics on the forum. I am hopeful that somebody might be able to give me some help with my awning problem by posting it here. If this is the wrong place to post any guidance is appreciated.

I have a 2017 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Hathaway Edition. The awning just quit working. I believe it may be an electrical problem but can’t find any fuses or breakers related to the awning. Does anyone have information on the breakers or fuses for this awning?
I don't have your model of trailer but for some reason the mfr keeps putting inline fuses for the awning, slides, and tongue jack/landing gear motors.

Best I can offer is to start at the battery and trace the positive wire to where it starts to feed various accessories. On my trailer it's a junction box. Off that junction box there are a few larger gauge wires that have inline fuses in them. Pull the fuses and check them for continuity with a multi-meter. If you run across any circuit breakers (small rectangular boxes that have two studs with wires connected) look for the small reset button and push it to make sure it's reset.

First rule of diagnosing an electrical problem with something like an awning, etc is to see if you have power to the switch to begin with. Sudden failures are often a tripped circuit breaker or blown fuse.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:34 PM   #10

2017 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Hathaway Edition.

I will start looking. If you have anymore information as to where an in-line fuse might be located please let me know.

Thanks
Old 08-19-2018, 01:41 PM   #11

Quote:

I will start looking. If you have anymore information as to where an in-line fuse might be located please let me know.

Thanks
I can only relate to my trailer where it's close to the end of the 7 wire umbilical cord that connects to my Tow Vehicle. The cord terminates in a junction box and from there battery power is "tapped" to run my awning, slide, and tongue jack. Inline fuses are within 18" of the box in the various wires that go to these accessories. The fuse holders are rectangular, about 1/4-5/16" thick, and have a cover on them with a piece of plastic tether that attaches cover to body.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 02:44 PM   #12

I found a fuse but it goes to several things and the awning is the only thing that doesn’t work. Sent an email to Dometic to see if someone can fix it at our next stop. This fuse was ok.

Thanks
Old 09-16-2019, 08:33 AM   #13

Still can't find it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living-in-the-Deuce View Post
The folks at Forest River responded to my request for an electrical schematic - while one is not available, they let me know where it was located.

The secondary Fuse box that runs the control panel is located underneath sink, behind the drawers on the outside wall. It can be seen from the Trash Can compartment.

I checked everywhere including under the sink exactly as you have stated; I took apart walls. I have contacted Forest River with no response for over a week. I have a 2018 Wildwood RKSS and can not find the other fuse box anywhere....exact same problem with awning...works off my car battery but line coming directly in to motor is not getting power.
Safetyguy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:38 AM   #14
Site Team

Is that a 27RKSS?

I have a few Wildwood's listed in my Remote location spreadsheet, but none of them are a 2018 27RKSS.
A 211SSXL lists it as under the Fridge
I have a 2017, but don't know the model. It's listed as under the breaker box behind an access panel.
A 263BHXL is listed as behind the breaker panel.
A 201BHXL lists it as being to the right of the converter/fuse box.

Since the Salem's are sisters to the Wildwood's, I have a 2018 Salem 27RKSS as having theirs "In the bottom of the cabinets in the bathroom" so you may want to look there.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:03 AM   #15

Quote:

Thanks
Look in your front storage for a box on the wall labeled "ALTA". That's the remote connection box. Even if you never use a remote, all things that the remote MIGHT control are wired to/through that box. One is the awning. Each has a fuse.

Try finding that fuse, sounds like that one is bad. My best guess.

I have same model.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living-in-the-Deuce View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Is that a 27RKSS?

I have a few Wildwood's listed in my Remote location spreadsheet, but none of them are a 2018 27RKSS.
A 211SSXL lists it as under the Fridge
I have a 2017, but don't know the model. It's listed as under the breaker box behind an access panel.
A 263BHXL is listed as behind the breaker panel.
A 201BHXL lists it as being to the right of the converter/fuse box.

Since the Salem's are sisters to the Wildwood's, I have a 2018 Salem 27RKSS as having theirs "In the bottom of the cabinets in the bathroom" so you may want to look there.
Yes, it is a 27 rkss...that was the only remaining things to check, all the bottom panels but didn't have the right square head point to unscrew them, I do now. I will check them all and reply back, thanks.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:14 PM   #17

We have a TT 2017 Wildwood 17RB... similar issue.... fortunately we can work awning from remote just fine but switch on Control panel stopped working...$90 an hour labor at out RV dealership...hoping we can figure it out ...can live with remote working, but I hate it when things don't work right �� going to check power to switch...after that not sure if we can find a fuse ... Thanks for this thread...hope we both can get it figured out ��
Chevy 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 02:34 PM   #18

Found the other fuse box.

The second fuse box was in the bathroom, under the lower linen closet floor, opened it up to find a 2" high open spot with fuse box...hidden well for sure

Tags
awning, power, switch