Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2013, 08:06 AM   #1
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Photos of Vibe 6504 Mods to maximize space

We love the layout of our VIBE 6504 but wanted to maximize space.
(especially to accomodate a family of 4 !!!!)
I thought I would post some pics of our mods.

1. The range hood on our unit extended too far into kitchen (kept bumping my head on it when I was standing up after accessing lower cabinets). There is room to move the range hood towards the exterior wall of the trailer. Now I don't bump my head.

2. The 6504 had a wardrobe compartment by the master bed. (bit of a waste of space as we don't hang clothes when we go camping). Installed some shelves in that space.

3. Installed small shelves over window valances on either side of master bed.

4. Removed TV from front wall (we don't watch TV when we camp), in favor of additional kitchen shelving. All the shelving is on removable brackets for stow away when travelling.

5. Installed a kitchen counter extension next to exit door and purchased an 8 inch deep IKEA cabinet to install under the extension.

6. The dinette cramped the kitchen area (could barely walk by it when someone was working in the kitchen. We removed the heavy table top and installed a small marine table. This dramatically increased floor space. For the most part we eat outside within the patio room extension. We bring along a TV table for the odd time additional table space is needed inside.

7. We usually camp at sites equipped with showers, so we decided to use our shower area for addtional drawer space. Forgot to take a photo of that . I just placed a small piece of plywood across shower floor to support 2 tiers of rubbermaid 3 drawer units. I stack them 2 units high for a total of 12 drawers. - Unstack them for travel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wardrobe.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	36415   Click image for larger version

Name:	bed shelves.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	36416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitchen Shelves.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	36417   Click image for larger version

Name:	IKEA Cab.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	36418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinette.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	36419  

Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan
pdchristensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:13 AM   #2

Nice mods. I especially like the small shelves over the window valances.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Nice Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
Nice mods. I especially like the small shelves over the window valances.
Thanks for the link to your rig. Gee if we had one of those we would not need to do any mods to maximize storage space, mind you I would also need to invest in a bigger tow vehicle and bigger home with larger approach for trailer storage.
Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan
Old 07-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #4

This may be a silly question, but how do you attach those brackets to the wall? Do you use screws? Do you find studs first or is the paneling sturdy enough?
Old 07-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wybdgrl View Post
This may be a silly question, but how do you attach those brackets to the wall? Do you use screws? Do you find studs first or is the paneling sturdy enough?
For the shelving above the window valence a bracket on either side attached with 1 inch screws. The wood panelling does offer enough support when combined with the support of the window valence. Its not like the shelf has to support anything heavy. The actual wood shelf is not screwed to the brackets so it can come down during travel.

As for the other shelves (utilizing Knape & Voght metal wall standards and insertable brackets). A screw can be installed near the top of the standard where it will catch the wood panelling and structural support behind. Multiple screws can be added down the length of the wall standards into the wood paneling. Once again the shelves are not over loaded with too much weight and can easily be removed along with brackets for travelling. (leaving only the wall standards fastened)
Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan
Old 08-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #6

Thank you for this information.After reading your post,I moved our range hood back like you did.It really helps since I and my son in law have both nearly decapatated ourselves on the side of the hood.We also removed the table,installed flush table mounts in the floor (in case we ever need the table).I purchased an aluminum fold out table at Camping World which will work inside or under the awning.I also cut a piece of carpet and installed it up to the edge of the stove and accross to the bench.I failed to mention that our trailer is a Vibe 6504.We do not need to keep the table in the trailer since we never sleep more than four people(two grandchildren,my wife and myself).
geo m is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vibe